Quantcast

Fort Collins

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
I only road mtn there, but my buddy went to grad school in ft collins, and he wasn't a big fan of road riding there. I'm not sure where you are now, but its good for long rides, and out and backs. CO/WY aren't really conducive to loop road riding, like i'm used to back east.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I think you'd be better off in Boulder. Good road riding though. Lots of people ride out and around Horsethief Reservoir. So many roadies everywhere. Especially in Boulder.

BeerMe

Monkey
Apr 18, 2008
FOCO NOCO
Fort Collins is the worst city in the world and you'd have a terrible, terrible time if you moved here. Nothing good at all. You definitely want Boulder. It's a utopia compared to the wastelands of the Fort.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
People who live in Fort Collins seem to love it, and go on and on about its bike friendliness. I've visited a few times and never understood the appeal.

I presently live in SLC. FC is in the crosshairs because of work/racing opportunities, as well as CSU if I ever get the itch to finish a degree.

Boulder looks nice, but spendy, and maybe a bit too much of a bubble for my tastes - plus I don't have any prospective employers in the immediate area...unless you know of anyone looking for a cycling industry goon.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
FC is great nice step down from Boulder. Lots of good food. There are lots of nice road rides you just cant be afraid of a little climbing. Pretty fun mtb on the hog backs between FC and Loveland. If you get east of i-25 though you will become a dent in a pick ups hood.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
A company from Fort Collins is hiring masons here in NY. Is there a lot of stone and brick construction in Colorado? Didn't the housing market tank there?

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Depends on the area. Heavy construction died, but high end homes and such slowed up but never really tanked. In the Loveland/FC area a lot of housing development has fired back up here just in the last 4 months. Went from having 70+ excavators on our rental yards to having 60ish on rent now so its going in the right direction.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
I went to school at CSU. it is a great town. there is phenomenal road biking up the hill. horsetooth, stove prairie road, poudre canyon, etc. there's trail riding doable with no driving or some really great rides like bobcat ridge and youngs gulch. there are enough businesses, resteraunts and bars to make it not seem a small town while not feeling big either. there are a variety of neighborhoods there too. there are the very college-y ones in the vicinity of campus, some funky older houses near old town, yuppie ones down south, tract home type suburbia neighborhoods, etc. if you want a small town vibe you could move 10 minutes north to LaPorte and be closer to the poudre canyon to boot. if you are a skier might want to skip Ft. Collins. its a good 2.5 hours to summit county and ~80 miles to backcountry at cameron pass. although rabbit ears and steamboat are not super far past cameron. I have no idea about the job market out there. i'm in construction and was out of work for 5 months before I left ft. collins for greener pastures.