Quantcast

Fort William 2024 Race

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
WELL, its coming, right??

Note: gary and sethimus are banned from posting in this thread. They can continue the tug fest in a different thread.

Paging @jackalope to the box plz

Schedule:
1713972760498.png

Qualification and semi finals on the same day. Going to be smoking.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
remind me again what the point of semis is?!

was it meant to emulate F1 qualifying? and produce another highlight reel they can post on YT? (ostensibly to get people hooked on the sport?). seems like the main difference is in F1 you don't get cut from the final race, you just get less chances at a good spot on the starting grid...

anyways... this is going to be a weird season. I'm still on the fence about paying to watch finals... I may wait this one out. For one, I'm just not that jazzed about Ft. Bill, and second I can wait to see how the free feeds work out.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

was it meant to emulate F1 qualifying? and produce another highlight reel they can post on YT? (ostensibly to get people hooked on the sport?). seems like the main difference is in F1 you don't get cut from the final race, you just get less chances at a good spot on the starting grid...

anyways... this is going to be a weird season. I'm still on the fence about paying to watch finals... I may wait this one out. For one, I'm just not that jazzed about Ft. Bill, and second I can wait to see how the free feeds work out.
From what I gathered from Wyn Tv and maybe some podcasts (I forget where/who was talking), but it sounds like they (the suits) perhaps want even less riders in the finals. So the semi finals is perhaps meant to test that out and gradually get there.... maybe?

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
yeah, i believe the intent was to pare down the big show numbers. does allow for more run footage. i never watched the full field of (60) racers anyways, so not opposed to this.

the viewing option for we canadians sucks, tho ($40 / mo for flowbikes). going team tiz this year. will gladly pay into their beer fund if the stream is half decent.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Do I want extended coverage of wooden bridge bog traverses, or do I want more riders?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Given the very short highlights on YT of the XCC/XCO races that have already happened this season, I'm expecting to see top 5 riders maybe...

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
Do I want extended coverage of wooden bridge bog traverses, or do I want more riders?
ok, maybe not there. there's just so many instances of races that were won/lost in key sections that weren't on camera. of course, whether they're capable of identifying said key zones would be the question.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Allegedly max (us broadcast "provider") neglected to live broadcast part or all of the mens xco race last weekend.... Can anyone confirm?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
You need to have some sort of upgrade Sports package I think; see Pinkbike thread. I'm not a subscriber and don't know what's different between a direct Max sub and getting Max along with a cable package (if you have one).

I am not willing to pay $25-$40 a month to Max to watch DH racing this year. Max is phasing out "quality tv" in favor of reality bullshit this year, so no interest in subscribing for their other "content".

Allegedly max (us broadcast "provider") neglected to live broadcast part or all of the mens xco race last weekend.... Can anyone confirm?

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You need to have some sort of upgrade Sports package I think; see Pinkbike thread. I'm not a subscriber and don't know what's different between a direct Max sub and getting Max along with a cable package (if you have one).

I am not willing to pay $25-$40 a month to Max to watch DH racing this year. Max is phasing out "quality tv" in favor of reality bullshit this year.
this is what I was referring to (from vital):

Max failing to show the men’s race today, at least in the US. Feed cut off after the women’s podium and that was it. Trying to watch the “live” feed shows a replay of the women’s race.
Did it ever start live? I watched replay and there was a big gap(just showed event starting soon) between end of women's coverage and start of men's? Then the men's pre race started.
Supposedly in lap 7, but by then I had switched over to the bootleg stream site.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
i‘m to allowed to post in here so i don‘t repost the link with all the countries
The official list doesn't even have Australia as an option. I'll probably VPN it, although was kind of hoping they'd offer a proper option by now.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
This thread desperately needs that "You'll wear the skin suit, you'll love the skinsuit" meme.

Unpopular opinion: Tight fitting suits looks way better than the oversized moto-wannabee suits for DH racing. Just look at the old Sam Hill footage from the early Earthed movies. No matter how legendary these race runs were, it makes me cringe a bit to see all that fabric flopping around like that and adding tons of drag.

I agree the full-on skinsuits from the 90's were too much and we should not get back there, but I think the recent years have hit a nice sweet spot where the racers are actually dressed for the job, while not looking like alpine downhill skiers on a bike.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Baggy moto pajamas are equally as stupid and silly.

We need to go back to the OG and mandate that everybody wear ripped cuttoff jean shorts and either an oversized tshirt or a tank top.

Baggy hoodies are allowed when it's cold.

Or just who gives a shit I guess

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Let them wear whatever they want. This sport of cycling takes itself way too seriously.

That being said, looks like the kids are wearing baggy jeans again. We might not have seen the last of the baggy moto stuff.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

The point of the semis is the fake french people of switzerland are shit at understanding their sport and invent random shit. It's no different to them going for snowbike. TBH I'm yet to hear of one old sport association that isn't actively hurting their sport.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
The point of the semis is the fake french people of switzerland are shit at understanding their sport and invent random shit. It's no different to them going for snowbike. TBH I'm yet to hear of one old sport association that isn't actively hurting their sport.
it was a rhetorical question... sort of. I guess.