Quantcast

Fort William World Cup - Live Thread

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
So stoked for Gee to get the win, certainly deserves it.

However, if Cam had won with that steezed out run that would have been truly legendary! (I think he well and truly may have had the win if he hadnt) Lets hope he keeps 'er loose and we get to see more excitement like that though!

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
I think Stevie gets "best in show"...

and how the hell did Mrs. Huntington cut herself so deeply?! :eek: I saw her crash and it looked like she knocked herself out; it didn't look like anything would have cut her... glad to hear she "OK" and recovering though. Hope she's heals up fast.
check where handlebars + brake levers are in the following shot.

I've seen a hand gouged by a brake lever before.. could this be it? or did Randall get lucky as per helmet, but instead he bonked her thigh...tsk tsk.. and they call Andrew Neethling needles...oi.. :P

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
check where handlebars + brake levers are in the following shot.

I've seen a hand gouged by a brake lever before.. could this be it? or did Randall get lucky as per helmet, but instead he bonked her thigh...tsk tsk.. and they call Andrew Neethling needles...oi.. :P
i kinda figured it would have been a brake lever that got her...nothing else really that sharp or pointy on a bike unless something broke.

hope she gets better soon. sounds like a nasty gash

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Does any one know if Gee was actually running Continental tires for this race or not? He talks about choosing Der Kaiser in the Vital slideshow but considering they have been known to sharpie tires in the past I'm not so sure.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Does any one know if Gee was actually running Continental tires for this race or not? He talks about choosing Der Kaiser in the Vital slideshow but considering they have been known to sharpie tires in the past I'm not so sure.
highly doubt it, i thought that bit was funny as well. He was on maxxis all last weekend at the US Open, didnt even see any Conti tires in the pit. Cheers for being a good spokesman though, i figured he would have steered his way out of that question.

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
All the pictures I have seen of Gee have looked like he was running Kaisers. Not that I have seen that many pictures where the tires can be identified.

Rachel on the other hand seems to have run High Roller at the front and probably Minion at the rear.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
i kinda figured it would have been a brake lever that got her...nothing else really that sharp or pointy on a bike unless something broke.

hope she gets better soon. sounds like a nasty gash
I had my thigh impaled by my brake lever when I got hit by a car in 2008. Brake lever was intact, but still managed to get into my leg 3-4 inches and nicked a femoral vein. Nothing like bleeding out in the street in morning traffic.

Still riding with the same lever on my bike BTW.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I had my thigh impaled by my brake lever when I got hit by a car in 2008. Brake lever was intact, but still managed to get into my leg 3-4 inches and nicked a femoral vein. Nothing like bleeding out in the street in morning traffic.

Still riding with the same lever on my bike BTW.
wow, how did you stop the bleeding? :shocked:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Thankfully a good samaritan ran up and put bare hands pressure on the wound until the EMT's got there. I was going to be air lifted to a trauma center, but they got the bleeding under control in the ambulance ride to the heli pad (only because it wasn't the femoral artery). I got VERY lucky.

Just to give you an idea on how fast it was bleeding, after I landed I immediately sat up, and watched my shorts quickly filling with blood. I then got too light headed to stay sitting up and laid back down on the road.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Here's a thought. Since a quarter of the points per round that the scoring system is based on are no longer available to riders, shouldn't they reduce the gap on points for each position by the same percentage to maintain the integrity of the scoring system?

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Here's a thought. Since a quarter of the points per round that the scoring system is based on are no longer available to riders, shouldn't they reduce the gap on points for each position by the same percentage to maintain the integrity of the scoring system?

Uh... what points are no longer available?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Uh... what points are no longer available?
Tough to explain, but there is thought in the structure of the points system to allow for a more competitive series chase. The points available can't be arbitrarily thought up I hope.

For example, on a small scale. There are 10 riders and points are the same, 10 for 1st, 1 for last. In an 8 race format, if you get 10th at the first race, you still have a shot at the overall. In a 6 race format, 10th place has almost no shot if he gets the same result.

In the 8 race format, the 9 points you've lost is 11.3% of the max points available for the series. In a 6 race format, 9 points is 15% of the available points.

I used to be really good at math, but it's been a long time and explaining is even harder.:confused:

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
It's a good shot for sure, but what makes it amazing? Just curious.
I would go o with the rider position, the random pebble flying in the left hand side of the photo, and the kid eating the sandwich obviously blown away by the speed he hit the corner at.
plus aaron gwin is awesome...

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
So - used to be steve peat would be in the top 5 every race, and a terrible race was outside of the top 10. Now two in a row that he does (relatively) terrible.

What gives? Did he quit drinking or something retarded like that? Or is he moving on to coaching/charity/getting people into the sport and his kids?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
So - used to be steve peat would be in the top 5 every race, and a terrible race was outside of the top 10. Now two in a row that he does (relatively) terrible.

What gives? Did he quit drinking or something retarded like that? Or is he moving on to coaching/charity/getting people into the sport and his kids?
Could be the fact that after 16 years of being a top level guy, he became world champion and has been busier this winter than he ever has?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Could be the fact that after 16 years of being a top level guy, he became world champion and has been busier this winter than he ever has?
Now now, no need for the sarcasm - I was just curious what the inside scoop was. I remember him saying in interviews last year that just because he became world champ, he wasn't going to quit racing and quit winning. I don't think anybody will say he hasn't earned a chance to relax and take it easy, I was just curious as to what was going on.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I think over the next few races, we'll see that he still knows how to ride.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I know I read a laundry list of reasons from him as to why his results are down. He's always been a full time fitness animal in the off season. With age, training has to take over where talent might decline. You figure he loses a little youthful speed every season, but makes up for it in the gym.

He said this year he hasn't trained much this off season, so the slightest decline is that much more dramatic.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
I know I read a laundry list of reasons from him as to why his results are down. He's always been a full time fitness animal in the off season. With age, training has to take over where talent might decline. You figure he loses a little youthful speed every season, but makes up for it in the gym.

He said this year he hasn't trained much this off season, so the slightest decline is that much more dramatic.
I would have thought tallent would never decline. Some guys are just hella fast.
Fitness will get harder to handle pushing 40 but natural talent will never fade I dont think.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Tough to explain, but there is thought in the structure of the points system to allow for a more competitive series chase. The points available can't be arbitrarily thought up I hope.

For example, on a small scale. There are 10 riders and points are the same, 10 for 1st, 1 for last. In an 8 race format, if you get 10th at the first race, you still have a shot at the overall. In a 6 race format, 10th place has almost no shot if he gets the same result.

In the 8 race format, the 9 points you've lost is 11.3% of the max points available for the series. In a 6 race format, 9 points is 15% of the available points.

I used to be really good at math, but it's been a long time and explaining is even harder.:confused:

I see (I think), you're referring to fewer rounds this year as creating a less competitive points system for the points chase.

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
I would have thought tallent would never decline. Some guys are just hella fast.
Fitness will get harder to handle pushing 40 but natural talent will never fade I dont think.
reflexes, muscle quality, eye sight etc are all a function of age in various degrees in every single human. Those very qualities in many ways define natural skill level, so as they degrade, so does the skill level. Still way above mere mortals of course, but the decline is only really noticable against similarly skilled humans. Then again, Linford Christie was still racing world class 100m finals at what, at least 40 yrs of age? not too shabby...:thumb:

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
I doubt Peaty's talent is in decline. He always seems pretty candid about things, if he says his fitness is down then I'd go with that.

Also, look at all the young guys popping there heads up in the results right now. Nobody is getting slower... the bar just keeps being raised.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
reflexes, muscle quality, eye sight etc are all a function of age in various degrees in every single human. Those very qualities in many ways define natural skill level, so as they degrade, so does the skill level. Still way above mere mortals of course, but the decline is only really noticable against similarly skilled humans. Then again, Linford Christie was still racing world class 100m finals at what, at least 40 yrs of age? not too shabby...:thumb:

There is also a vast difference between chronological and physiological age. Genetics, conditioning, diet, and and lifestyle can make for a physiologically very young 40 year old, or a very old 25 year old...

There is a wealth of study done on this, and Peaty is a perfect example of physiological youth. Peaty will be able to do what he has all along until he loses his fire. It is completely feasible to see him at the top into his early 40s and beyond. I think the main limiting factor here would be the negative influence of accumulated injury... EG: you pin it for longer, you have more total injuries over time.

mgy

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
Morrison
There is also a vast difference between chronological and physiological age. Genetics, conditioning, diet, and and lifestyle can make for a physiologically very young 40 year old, or a very old 25 year old...
Thank you! Makes this 44 year old still racing pro dh feel good. Even after having not my best weekend.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO

There is a wealth of study done on this, and Peaty is a perfect example of physiological youth. Peaty will be able to do what he has all along until he loses his fire. It is completely feasible to see him at the top into his early 40s and beyond. I think the main limiting factor here would be the negative influence of accumulated injury... EG: you pin it for longer, you have more total injuries over time.
I think you may have hit the nail on the head in that one sentence. How many years has he been chasing those rainbow stripes? He finally got them last year in Canberra, and I don't think anyone could argue that he hasn't been quite the same rider since (including last year's only WC after the World Championships - Schladming - where he was further off the pace than most of the other WC's last year).

I'm as big of a fan of Peat as anyone - I love the guy - but it's only human nature for there to be at least some small amount of let down in 'drive' after you've achieved a goal you've been chasing your entire life.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
While I'd like to think this, it doesn't really follow from your argument - he drinks a lot and has had quite a few injuries!
I remember his foot getting turned backward, what other serious ones (honestly interested). I have it in my head that he's been pretty light on injuries, especially given the length of his career...

On drinking, there is a lot of evidence that light and consistent alcohol consumption has a positive effect on hormonal balance and enhancement. This is due to the body's ability to maintain digestive enzymes particular to the breakdown of alcohol, enzymes that do not exist in noticeable amounts without regular and moderate intake of alcohol. Basically: binge drinking bad, light and consistent drinking (beer & wine, not hard liquor) seems to be good.