Quantcast

Fox 40 and DHX 5.0 set-up/tuning

Nov 16, 2007
So my bike is finally all built up and ready to rip, now to tune the fork and shock...

The bike is a new Intense Socom with a 2009 Fox 40 and a Fox DHX 5.0 out back. I'm basically an ex-BMXer (Trail/Street) and will be using this rig as my all-around FR/DH ripper. I'll be hitting some pretty decently sized stuff/lines while being pretty smooth at the same time, most of my riding will be at Diablo Freeride park and Platekill here in the NY area. I'm about 175 in just shorts and no equipment on.

Can anyone recommend any initial setting?
Psi, Preload, sag, high & low speed compression, propedal...
Could someone please clarify the high & low speed compression, ie what I should look for, how they differ, how they change the way the fork reacts, etc.

Any and all recommendations as far as suspension tuning are greatly appreciated

Also, anyone know an inexpensive source for Ti springs for my DHX?

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
Read the manual - they have sag settings for your weight - as for high and low compression start in the middle (I think 7 for low and 8 for high) and ride that - them move your high all the way to the left - ride that see how it feels then all the way to the right - ride that and see how it feel - then tweak... do the same for the low.

for you 5.0 I followed their manual recommendations first and tweaked from there.

good luck

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
When setting up your suspension, ride the same short loop, so you can quantify the results and get a good feeling of how the suspension is working at the different settings. Change only ONE setting at a time when setting up your suspension.