Quantcast

Fox 40 oil

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Does anybody have any recomendations on fork oil for the 40's (7 wt)? I know fox makes their own brand but I can't find it any where at the LBS's. The only brand they seem to cary is Finishline and I would have to order that as well.

That is the one thing that sucks about living in NH; there does not seem to be a shop that stocks any kind of DH associated products! I guess I got spoiled living in so-cal where the options were endless..

Does anybody have any recomendations on fork oil for the 40's (7 wt)? I know fox makes their own brand but I can't find it any where at the LBS's. The only brand they seem to cary is Finishline and I would have to order that as well.

That is the one thing that sucks about living in NH; there does not seem to be a shop that stocks any kind of DH associated products! I guess I got spoiled living in so-cal where the options were endless..
According to Peter Verdone, Fox 7wt oil is the same as Torco RSF Medium:

http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/bikesuspension.htm

Like the others have said, hit up a Moto shop and they should be able to help you.

More info:

http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/lowspeed.htm

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
This is terrible... this idea.
Full of ****......this comment.

Engine oil is probably the most appropriate for lower legs. It's what I use because bushing lubrication needs particle suspension and high pressure protection in an oil, not anti-foaming and a high viscosity index (susp oils).

Use a 10w30 or 10w40. It will behave like a 10w at cold temps anyway.

Manitou even recommend using a Motorex synthetic motor oil.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'm with dilzy on this one, I'va had better results than fork oil with even non-synthetic 10w40 motor oil. At the very least, there's nothing terrible about his idea. :)

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
IS the weather making everyone STUPID????

Fox does NOT make oil for any thing period. THey use Torco fluids

Float fluid is in fact torco assembly oil....which is guess what.....thick motor oil...used on motor internal durring assembly.

Put your collective heads together and think about what substance is needed for and what it is doing.

Bushing oil is used as a high pressure lube, contamination isolations (ESPECIALLY improtant in Fox forks as they have no seal), detergent properties, silt prevention, and needs to withstand high sheer breakdown.

Anyone of you guys know a lube with those properties???

anyone?????????

That is right....MOTOR OIL!!!!!!!

RS recomends it, Manitou has recomended it long before the semi bath FOX forks were even a conversation in the engineering office.

If you are buying Fox branded oil for anything, you are throwing away money. If you are buying it for bushing lube.....you are simply in idiot (or vastly out of the loop and un-informed...but no one here has that excuse).

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
synthetic oil is also very different from regular old motor oil, and were talking about Fox here not Manitou.
No it is not, but thanks for making it clear that you are arguing a point that you 100% dont understand,

and

It does not matter fox or Manitou, or RS. THey all use the same materials, are lubed the same way, and require the same properties from a bushing lube. Just because you spent WAY to much for a fork (and want to justify it by some imaginary superiority), does not mandate a need for their equally overpriced re-branded oil.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I've generally used the thickest oil I could find for the outer chambers. I would see NO problem with using motor oil or gear oil in that application.

Honda HP oil works pretty sweet for the damper though.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I've honestly always just used suspension fluid from moto shops. But Im definitely willing to try something different. What's the most common weight motor oil you guys are using? I know that Enduro recommends 5w40 in some of their rebuild guides, but I see alot of you guys talking about 10w40.

Last edited:

Dox

Monkey
Aug 26, 2009
Montreal, QC, Canada
I'm currently using motorex syntetic transmision oil for lowers lubrification in my boxxer team and it works great but this oil stinks a little bit.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
synthetic oil is also very different from regular old motor oil
in price maybe

I'm currently using motorex syntetic transmision oil for lowers lubrification in my boxxer team and it works great but this oil stinks a little bit.
used tranny/rear end oil smell is horrendous

I'm going to try using Mercury. It used to be called "quicksilver" so I think it'll make my fork fastar.
or it could give you long and flowy hair like kevin bacon

Last edited:

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
in price maybe
For someone as stoked on Ferrari as you are I would expect you to know better, if they were the same other than price why would so many high end manufacturers recommend only synthetic oil such as Mobil 1>?
quote Wiki
Advantages
The technical advantages of synthetic motor oils include:[citation needed]
Measurably better low and high temperature viscosity performance
Better chemical & shear stability
Decreased evaporative loss
Resistance to oxidation, thermal breakdown and oil sludge problems
Extended drain intervals with the environmental benefit of less oil waste.
Improved fuel economy in certain engine configurations.
Better lubrication on cold starts

[edit]Disadvantages
The disadvantages of synthetic motor oils include
The lower friction may make them unsuitable for break-in (i.e. the initial run-in period of the vehicle) where friction is desirable to cause wear. Improved engine part machining has made break-in less critical than it once was, though. Many modern cars now come with synthetic oil as a factory fill.
Potential decomposition problems in certain chemical environments (industrial use dominantly)
Potential stress cracking of plastic components like POM (polyoxymethylene) in the presence of PAOs (polyalphaolefins).
Potential on some older pushrod race engines with roller lifters for the roller itself not to spin with camshaft movement, but rather slide while the roller itself remains either stationary or at a lower circumferential speed than that of the camshaft lobe.[citation needed]
Synthetics do not hold lead in suspension as well as mineral oil, thus caution is advised when the engine is run on leaded fuel.[citation needed] As an example, leaded fuel is still commonly used in aviation (avgas).[11]
In July 1996, Consumer Reports published the results of a two year motor oil test involving a fleet of 75 New York taxi cabs and found no noticeable advantage of synthetic oil over regular oil.[12] In their article, they noted that "Big-city cabs don't see many cold start-ups or long periods of high speed driving in extreme heat. But our test results relate to the most common type of severe service — stop-and-go city driving." According to their study, synthetic oil is "worth considering for extreme driving conditions: high ambient temperatures and high engine load, or very cold temperatures." [13] This research was criticized by some because most engine damage appears to be caused by cold starts, and their research method may not have included enough cold starts to be representative of personal vehicle use.[14]
Synthetic oils are not recommended in automotive rotary engines.[15]

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Update: NH sucks dick when it comes to bike shops..I've called every shop in Manchester and Concord looking for Slick Honey...nothing

I've called every moto shop looking for Torco fluids...nothing

I mean c'mon, there are plenty of lift access mountains in the area but not a descent shop to speak of, unless you are looking for XC and family gear!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Update: NH sucks dick when it comes to bike shops..I've called every shop in Manchester and Concord looking for Slick Honey...nothing

i cant believe i lived there for a year...Keene had 1 good shop...actually it had only 1 shop, but it was good (at the time)

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I've honestly always just used suspension fluid from moto shops. But Im definitely willing to try something different. What's the most common weight motor oil you guys are using? I know that Enduro recommends 5w40 in some of their rebuild guides, but I see alot of you guys talking about 10w40.
I've never considered motor oil, but I don't see why not. Good, clean synthetic should do quite well.
I would by the lightest stuff you can find. Thick oil would have a hard time getting in the bushings me thinks.
5w15 motor oil is still pretty thick compared to shock oil at room temp.

RoboS

Chimp
Sep 1, 2008
I've heard baby oil works well, but it has to be from a really fresh baby.
If you have opinion on motor oil in Fox 40, write it down please. If you want to write something funny, go ahead and write it once. I'm tired of unusefulness of your posts.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If you have opinion on motor oil in Fox 40, write it down please. If you want to write something funny, go ahead and write it once. I'm tired of unusefulness of your posts.
If you have the mental capacity to use the search function, you'll find my opinions on various oils and lubes in regards to this fork. This exact same thread shows up on a monthly basis, and I'm tired of repeating myself.

RoboS

Chimp
Sep 1, 2008
If you have the mental capacity to use the search function, you'll find my opinions on various oils and lubes in regards to this fork. This exact same thread shows up on a monthly basis, and I'm tired of repeating myself.
I've been just watching this thread and found your posts irrelevant. Now i't clear to me.

Sorry