Quantcast

**FOX FORX DUAL CROWN** see it here first

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Hm.

Looks fugly but being a prototype, it's supposed to be more functional than pretty, I suppose.

I'm hoping for the best, but considering the bushing problems Fox had in their first production year of the Vanillas, I won't be on their pre-order list.

If it turns out to be as smooth as the Vanillas and light as they claim, well, they could have a Boxxer-killer on their hands...

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
From the pictures our team riders sent it sure looks like 40mm legs. There also appears to be a lot in common with the Monster T as others have noted. Such as the lower crown and the axle design.

I'd also have to agree with others that a sub 8 lb. weight will probably be wishfull thinking. The only way I think they could do that is to run a single sided damper and spring with only a splash of oil in the dummy leg. Even if that is what they have done I think the 35mm 888 leg is plenty big for a race fork and for that matter a FR fork.

The other problem you run into with a 40mm leg fork is the weight of the spring or springs. The larger the diameter of the spring the thicker the spring wire needs to be for any given rate. That's assuming that they used springs large enough to fill the upper leg width.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by go-ride.com
The other problem you run into with a 40mm leg fork is the weight of the spring or springs. The larger the diameter of the spring the thicker the spring wire needs to be for any given rate. That's assuming that they used springs large enough to fill the upper leg width.
well, the springs dont have to fill the tube diameter as long as they are retained properly, like from a tube on the inside, so really the limiting factors are spring length and spring ID in order to get a target weight. But also its possible its an air sprung fork which would not be a stretch at all for Fox. Using such a large volume fork like that makes using air springs quite ideal actually, since it will behave (relatively) more linear.

I managed to get my half coil/half air Shiver to perform alot like a full coil version would, so i dont see why we would not start to see this happen for WC forks.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Didn't people whine about the weight of the Fox singlecrown forks when they first came out? I remember reading reviews saying that Fox made their forks slightly heavier in turn for better durability and performance, what was the fox heavier than??? That's right a SID, Psylo, Mars or Black, fox forx have been more comparable to marzocchi forks in terms of weight and feel than rock shox or manitou.. If Fox can get a fork to come in at around 8 lbs I think that would be more reasonable, hardcore racers and such will still continue to use boxxers, the real battle will be between the fox DC and the 888/777 and Shermans and possibly shivers & dorados.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by go-ride.com
The only way I think they could do that is to run a single sided damper and spring with only a splash of oil in the dummy leg.
Well...that is the way that all the other fox forks are, so it's more than possible for sure.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by CBJ
Lets hope its heavy then I don't have to buy one and can keep my Shiver :)

................. 40mm but why?
Stiffness, and if you can have Monster-T stiffness at 2lbs less...I for one would be one of the first to line up for it.

Even lighter if you do like manitou has done in the past and make that one spring a Ti spring.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by zedro
well, the springs dont have to fill the tube diameter as long as they are retained properly, like from a tube on the inside, so really the limiting factors are spring length and spring ID in order to get a target weight. But also its possible its an air sprung fork which would not be a stretch at all for Fox. Using such a large volume fork like that makes using air springs quite ideal actually, since it will behave (relatively) more linear.

I managed to get my half coil/half air Shiver to perform alot like a full coil version would, so i dont see why we would not start to see this happen for WC forks.
except for that complete lack of damping...both rebound AND compression! :p ;) :D

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by Jm_
Well...that is the way that all the other fox forks are, so it's more than possible for sure.
I'm almost positive that is what it will be. I am hoping to get a ride on one and the full scoop at WV, so we shall see.

My guess is coil sprung, air assist, single sided ( a la mojo).

My gues sis the lowers are mega prototypes and will be slimmed down ALOT before it hits production.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
But the axle to crown height on the Fox is short. Makes the front end too low and the decals aren't very gnar.

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
The fork was really ugly IMHO but it was very light and felt great in the never-fail parking lot test. It is a prototype and therefore subject to change but it was way light - I'm guessing sub 8. It has separate high and low speed compression settings and rebound. It is sprung in one side and damped on the other. The adjusters hang way down into rock territory so I'm sure they will fix that.

Coming down the hill, they seemed to be working well but most other forks did too.

Attachments

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
Originally posted by scottishmark
hhhhhhmmmmmmmmm let me see, long travel, dual crown, looks well meaty but is in fact really light......................haven't we been here before?

*shudders at the thought of another Hannebrink*

:devil: :D
No, no, no, you've got it all wrong...

More like a Zzyzx!

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
Mother of god...it looks like you could run a 27" 3.0 gazz on that thing...nice. The crowns look like the 888 GR ones...they must of had some axle-crown height issues. :D :D :D :D

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Originally posted by Kornphlake
I'm not too sure what it does, I caught this pic of some chick with one on her bike. I wasn't about to approach 4 biker chicks and start talking about a fork though. Let the specualtion begin!

There was also one at the fox booth but it was partially covered with a beach towel.

You know you're a bike geek when you are surrounded by four chicks (WHO RIDE!) and all you notice is the fork.

Id'a been like, "Hey baby, whats yer sign ;) "

....actually, you coulda played it cool and chatted them up pretending to be interested in their impressions of the damping features while staring at their boobs from behind your shades.

soulfly

Chimp
Feb 27, 2004
Hungary
after all: is there something sure about the damping unit?
if it has separate compression and rebound damping, it probably has a kind of open catridge, like the manitous and other fox forxes have, am i right?
in this case, the "real" open baths, like the mazo's and boxxers would have a little advantage - less maintenance.
with separate the dampings, fox try to answer manitou's (or progressive's) platform damping?
and imho under 8 lbs with a 40 mm stanchions -> there must be something missing. [or it would be more expensive than the dorado mrd x-works, because the legs are made of carbon fiber.
;) ]

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Originally posted by Damn True
You know you're a bike geek when you are surrounded by four chicks (WHO RIDE!) and all you notice is the fork.

Id'a been like, "Hey baby, whats yer sign ;) "

....actually, you coulda played it cool and chatted them up pretending to be interested in their impressions of the damping features while staring at their boobs from behind your shades.
More likely they would have said something like...

"Why does everybody keep asking about this fork, I spent way more on surgery and nobody's seemed to notice my boobs!"

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
It's about time pics of Fox's DH fork show up. They seem to take a while to catch on and build things. Kinda like it took forever for them to make a single crown fork (the vanilla and float forks)

Does look nice though, a little beefy (beef makes you think it = heavy weight) but sub 8lbs is light for such a big hit fork. Looks like it will be everything that it is claimed.

I just wonder how it is gonna fend against dorado's, shivers, 888's, boxxers etc.... They are such proven forks that everyone knows you could go with anyone and there's tricks/tips out there to make them all kick butt in any way. You get every type of person with some quark with each fork, too flexy, breaks down, requires too much work etc.....so Fox can add to that list :)

FR/DH wise (like most guys on the fourm) use marz forks, shermans, dorados, and boxxers. I think as far as monkey's go, the Fox fork might sell to them ok. As far as race teams go, if KHS uses them I dunno......j/k

Seriously though, most pro's seem to ride Rock Shox or Manitou's, not so much fox/marzocchi. Granted the prototype pictures are out, what is Fox looking to do to sponser racers?

I don't think it looks bad, looks like a lighter weight Monster. I just think time will tell how great/good the fork will be.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I really have no doubt that this fork will be awesome. Fox has a long history of making great suspension products. It's not that they take a long time to catch on, its that they spend time designing things right. I have some more facts about the fork. It will be right at 7lbs or a hair less (production) and the travel is adjustable between 6-8 inches internally in 1/2" increments. Fox will have no problem getting people to ride this fork. A lot of people would already be riding it if it were available. And although KHS is not the best name amongst high-end consumers, they have had some very respectable racers over the years.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I just like how people can speculate for 6 pages on a picture of a prototype :devil:

Yeah yeah, I know that a few people know some stuff about them, but....... the rest of us, not so much :D

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
Thats Lisa Sher with the new fox fork. I felt the fork on her bike, dam its sooo nice. It is super beefy but realy light! I think it weights like 7 or 8 lbs!

WonderBoy

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
i´m not sure that the stancions are 40mm... they look a lot more like 38 or even 36 to me.

But I´m sure looking foreward to seeing the real thing, and not all these semi-spy-shots of a prototype fork.

The part about the fork beeing ajustable between 6-8" isn´t that also going to be a feature on the 2005 boxxer?