Quantcast

Fractured tooth = $6000 dental bill...WTF!?!?

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
So after being a little to over zealous with a Seedoo Rental I happened to face plant the handle bar hard enough to fracture my tooth...the one to the side of the two front teeth. Problem is the fracture is at gum line and the dentist thinks that it angled up underneath the jaw. The tooth is still holding in place but he thinks that its dying and doesn't have enough room to place a simple crown. He's talking dental surgery, putting in a post, etc. I've been with this dentist for nearly 25 years but should I still get a second opinion? Despite having dental insurance...I don't know how much they will cover.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Oooo, bummer. Get on the phone with the insurance company and see what they suggest--really, they can be a big help sometimes, and save you some dough if it will save them some dough as well!

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Get a second opinion. Look at the thread "calling ridemonkey medical hotline" I made recently. It's about my knee, and two doctors had very different opinions on what was necessary.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Not that I'm the tooth fairy, but what would it cost to get a second opinion? I mean doctors have to stay up to date on new procedures etc, and they don't always know what's best when compared to another.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Second opinion. I've had a dentist tell me that I needed a root canal and a crown, where the other said it was going to be a large filling. Get a second opinion.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA

Sorry about the tooth problem.

Gotta admit...for the 20minutes prior to smashing my face into the handle bar and getting 7 stitches in my cheek and a possible 6000 dental bill....Tosh got it right...Wave runners ARE fun as hell! Maybe if I was frowning more while riding one I might not be in this predicament.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Check for clauses in your medical insurance that might cover the repair. I had a conversation about dental emergency coverage with a coworker, and she had found a clause that covered dental costs in the medical policy, if there was an emergency room visit with related tooth damage.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Sounds about right. I broke the same tooth (right side) just like yours when I got hit. The Dentist who did mine was the second opinion, first doc just wanted to cap it. When second doc did the x-ray he found the split, when it was pulled it came out in pieces. Extraction, fancy titanium stud, fake tooth and all the other what not was 5+ grand. Medical insurance did not cover mine and my company dental plan sucks giant wang. Payed for almost all of mine from my own pocket.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I don't know many carriers that cover implants (you may get partial reimbursement) but worth getting a second opinion and calling your plan. I had a molar go bad but had a temp crown on it hoping it would hold out a while longer but I cracked it when I face planted surfing this weekend. Had it extracted a couple of hours ago :(

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I don't know many carriers that cover implants (you may get partial reimbursement) but worth getting a second opinion and calling your plan. I had a molar go bad but had a temp crown on it hoping it would hold out a while longer but I cracked it when I face planted surfing this weekend. Had it extracted a couple of hours ago :(
How much did it hurt? Or did they put you down?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I'm preparing for 3 implants - removal of decayed teeth and bridges was about $2300.bone grafts are up to 3K so far. I was put under for EVERYTHING. The extractions themselves where pretty straight forward but the bone grafts kicked my ass for over a week. I've been told that drilling and setting the implant posts can also be painful - anything that requires reshaping the bone will require lots of meds.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
No implant this round he just extracted the toof and He did not put me out. The pain is minimal, him yanking and scratching and drilling and pulling and other is the worst part. I’ve been popping pills for a while and jaw is kind of sore but not bad.
Looking at an implant replacement for two missing teeth on the other side and maybe this one a little later down the road.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
After reading that thread, all I can think of is: Anyone want to take bets on whether Knuckleslammer thinks that fluoride in the drinking water is a vast governmental conspiracy??

Knuck said:
As they rot, they are being pulled. The last one, the root was all the way up in my sinus cavity and I had to have a 1.5? incision on my gum cut for him to get the root out. 2 hours in the chair

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Whatever you do, don't leave a bad internet review. Their web scouts will see it and enter it into your permanent record. I'd recommend deleting this thread immediately.

Oct 9, 2006
I am going on $9000 dollars right now for something pretty similar(read worse). Knocked one tooth clean out and broke another all the way in half up above the gum line. Chilling right now with 2 teeth missing waiting til February before I get the replacements. I had to have bone grafts since I knocked so much material out.

Can't get it to embed so click the link. Squeamish folk please be ready for some blood.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=10150113363664627

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I'm preparing for 3 implants - removal of decayed teeth and bridges was about $2300.bone grafts are up to 3K so far. I was put under for EVERYTHING. The extractions themselves where pretty straight forward but the bone grafts kicked my ass for over a week. I've been told that drilling and setting the implant posts can also be painful - anything that requires reshaping the bone will require lots of meds.
Not my experience at all, though I just had extraction, implant, graft in one spot. The grinding and chiseling kind of does weird things to my spine in a nails-on-chalkboard kind of way, but I didn't have much in the way of pain. They gave me Vicodin to take home, didn't really need them, but I sure do like them. :drool:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Met Life Dental covers 50% of dental implants. That is the best coverage you will find. I had 3 implants done. Now mind you my Dentist was not in the lowest rent area [Palo Alto] but with Met Life, Molars ran $3000 and fronts ran $3500 each. That said I have a mix of Crowns and Implants and they are way better than a bridge and I rank a implant better than my original teeth [no more cavities] There was almost zero pain or discomfort associated with getting an implant installed. It will take approximately 6 months for the proceedure. Extraction then healing of the site tkes 3 months. Then they surgically install the implant anchor and put in a flat gumline cap. Another 3 months for the jawbone and anchor to bond together. Finally they install the titanium stud into the anchor and glue the crown to the stud.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I am going on $9000 dollars right now for something pretty similar(read worse). Knocked one tooth clean out and broke another all the way in half up above the gum line. Chilling right now with 2 teeth missing waiting til February before I get the replacements. I had to have bone grafts since I knocked so much material out.

Can't get it to embed so click the link. Squeamish folk please be ready for some blood.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=10150113363664627
wtf?! did you two get caught in an avalanche?

splat

Nam I am
I had 2 done , both cost about $6K each. glad I had them done , they hve given me zero problems , the biggest issue was the Tim e it took , and it took over a year for each one. with th Healing time of the Bone grafts and the implat it self just went on and on.

as for Pain , The extraction was a nothing , the worst part of the whole thing wasthe novacne shots they went deep!

The wierdest feeling was after they drilled the pilot hole , attached the implant to the end of the drill and screwed it in, very strange feeling , no pain just pressure.

any way here are the xrays of my 2

#19 with the aligment Jig screwed into it.

#9 my front tooth.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
this thread makes me sooooo thankful for my teeth and possibly want to wear a mouthguard when dhing now. my perfectly straight, no cavity, pearly whites seem to be quite valuable....

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There is a police dog in Portland that knocked his 2 front fangs out. They replaced them with titanium fangs.

Get a titanium grill, that would be bad ass.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
They gave me Vicodin to take home, didn't really need them, but I sure do like them. :drool:
Kind of like the bowl of dum dums at the doctors office - I never the the oral surgeon without a fist full. :D

Hmmmm... my bone grafts hurt like hell. Two of the bad teeth had abscessed and I decided to have my 4 wisdom teeth removed at the same time. I had two teeth extracted about 10 years ago and that wasn't bad. The ones that where removed earlier this year had to be done surgically and it hurt like hell for a week. I had to wait 3 months for the bone grafts and should be able to get the implants early next year.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Get two estimates from 2 different dentists. Tell them you don't have insurance, but can pay cash. Then tell them you found out you do have dental. Then watch what happens with the 4 different prices. It will be like flipping a 4 sided coin.

Most medical insurance companies don't provide dental insurance. If your plan provides dental, get a quote. You may need to go to a dentist who is an in network provider for your carrier. Oddly enough, you may get a quote from the one who accepts your insurance that is actually higher.

Then there is the person who does not have dental coverage, but their medical insurance provides drastic discounts on dental and/or vision. So check that option as well.