Quantcast

Frame polishing

warthog

Chimp
Oct 25, 2004
San Luis Obispo Ca.
Anyone out there had any experience with stripping a powder coated frame and polishing it? Advice on stripping and polishing products would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

B

bigkonarider

Don't scratch it with something..
I did a powdercoat remaval off a Manitiou hardtail & it took a LOT of paint stripper & then lot's of wool steel sanding by hand..
whew..
I might just have it done next time !?
Maybe i need better stripper ?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I had a hack powdercoater 'strip' my frame by sandblasting. It pretty much ruined the surface of the tubes; seemingly no structural damage though. (I was especially worried about the bushing seats being taken out of tolerance). When I sent it to Olympic, Turner's stock coater, they were shocked at what had happened to the frame. They used a week-long chemical soak (just in degreaser, I think) to sludge-ify and remove the powder before recoating it.

I'd avoid sandblasting it myself and just take it to a powdercoater to have them remove it (or just explain how to do it...)

MD

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Um, well paint stripper won't work because powdercoat is basically plastic melted onto the frame. Most plastics, including powdercoat, are pretty resistant to most chemicals. I'm sure there is a solvent that will eat through powdercoat but you'd have to ask an expert to be sure what that is and where to get it, I doubt that the typical home depo grade stuff will do any good.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Kornphlake said:
Um, well paint stripper won't work because powdercoat is basically plastic melted onto the frame. Most plastics, including powdercoat, are pretty resistant to most chemicals. I'm sure there is a solvent that will eat through powdercoat but you'd have to ask an expert to be sure what that is and where to get it, I doubt that the typical home depo grade stuff will do any good.
Yeah, but Olympic used something...just called it 'degreaser' and let it soak for a week...

MD