Quantcast

Frankenbrakes and brake improvement discussion

Aug 27, 2023
Canton, Georgia
While searching around for some info on different brake mineral oils, I came across the spreadsheet (excellent, and thank you). However, I did notice that some viscosity values were either incorrect or missing, and being unable to edit the info, I will just add it here for someone with access.

Pulling from the manufacturer's SDS, the following are at 40c

Magura RB 11.5
Shimano 8
Redline LW 4
Maxima 8.67
@Udi
Can you please add Maxima's mineral oil to the spreadsheet
Is no one updating the spreadsheet?

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Hey! Holy mother of God, the most insane thing happened to me today. We rode three laps in Lamay. lots of rocks, chunk, steeps, and speed. Makes Apex feel paved type of riding.
The last lap down Lamay 2, I was having one of the best riding days of my life with Wayo. (Peru DH champ) Awesome! We got back to the house, and near my bleed kit, I found my (gold!) Brake bleed bolt. (I bled it this morning)
I had ridden the entire day with NO BRAKE BLEED BOLT, and the brake worked PERFECTLY.
Absolutely insane.
How is this possible?
I put the bleed cup back in, and there were only a few tiny bubbles! (Still seems to work normally).

Hey! Holy mother of God, the most insane thing happened to me today. We rode three laps in Lamay. lots of rocks, chunk, steeps, and speed. Makes Apex feel paved type of riding.
The last lap down Lamay 2, I was having one of the best riding days of my life with Wayo. (Peru DH champ) Awesome! We got back to the house, and near my bleed kit, I found my (gold!) Brake bleed bolt. (I bled it this morning)
I had ridden the entire day with NO BRAKE BLEED BOLT, and the brake worked PERFECTLY.
Absolutely insane.
How is this possible?
I put the bleed cup back in, and there were only a few tiny bubbles! (Still seems to work normally).
When you pull the lever, you're forcing fluid down to the calipers. Any air that might get in from the bolt location will tend to stay high.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Absolutely insane.
How is this possible?
Post this in the weight weenies thread and see if you can kill someone.

Boozzz

Chimp
Sep 12, 2019
Amsterdayummm
Also, on those 'new' (at least coming in with a lot of social marketing force) Chinese Trickstuff copies, some quality machining found by our German friends at mtb-news, what a surprise :pleasantry:

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Brakes came. Me 2.

But yeah in all seriousness, they do have some tiny nicks on one of the calipers, nothing major tho. They do feel and look realy realy well.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Absolutely insane.
How is this possible?
don't the ports to the reservoir close off after the lever is depressed a certain amount on most brakes?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Well, I'll be the guinea pig !
View attachment 193085
I got a pair of these and don't like them, to me they're not as comfortable as the stock levers. However my issue is the amount of lever throw, not distance to the bars, so YMMV. (I knew that going in but figured I'd give them a shot anyway.)

If anyone's interested in checking them out, PM me an address and I'll send them to you at some point. Just be warned, they're boring black, not the cosmic stardust bling...

Edit: Not sure why the pic doesn't show but these are the Freedom Coast levers for TRP DHR-EVO.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Brakes came. Me 2.

But yeah in all seriousness, they do have some tiny nicks on one of the calipers, nothing major tho. They do feel and look realy realy well.
So I've sent them pictures of mentioned flaws. They will ship new caliper on monday, no questions asked. :popcorn:

Boozzz

Chimp
Sep 12, 2019
Amsterdayummm
I guess using them for trials has something to do with it, it's so hard on the (rear) brake. Tolerances probably need to be perfect for them to last. I replaced the slave piston seals of a leaking Dominion A2 on the trials bike, moved them to the trail bike, and they've been fine there.

I think only an old Hope Trial Zone never leaked, but I'm sort of done with Hope after their Tech 4 V4 debacle. Direttissima's then? Expensive gamble :D