Quantcast

free mpeg4 converter?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
downloaded some movies and riding "tv shows" via itunes and want to convert to something i can burn onto a DVD.

anyone have any recommendations?

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Ah you have that "TV Show" too I see. I'll let you know, I've got some software at home and need to convert mine.

mac or pc

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Ah you have that "TV Show" too I see. I'll let you know, I've got some software at home and need to convert mine.

mac or pc
PC.
cnet's download section has free samplers that either will convert a few minutes, or convert with a watermark on the screen.

and yeah, Follow Me and NWD10 are two that are "tv shows"

thanks!

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
I use Videora to convert downloaded movies to mp4 in order to put on my iPod. There is some quality lost in the conversion. If I want to put them on a DVD I just plug the iPod into my home DVD burner. I'm sure there are better options out there but I haven't spent anytime looking into them.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I use Videora to convert downloaded movies to mp4 in order to put on my iPod. There is some quality lost in the conversion. If I want to put them on a DVD I just plug the iPod into my home DVD burner. I'm sure there are better options out there but I haven't spent anytime looking into them.

i could do that with a external burner/hdd i have, but id rather not make extra "jumps" if i dont have to.
id prefer to use software on my computer and burn direct from there

putting them on the ipod isnt a issue since i got the videos from itunes. i want to make a dvd, which itunes wont allow

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i figured one solution out, but my external dvd burner just died. hopefully i can get my spare dvd burner before the weekend.

ieee1394

oiswego

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
New Yawk
it won't let you load drm'd media.....but there are some apps that you can use to get around that.
one i use for dvd's that have that stupid drm is called fairmount (_http://www.metakine.com/products/fairmount/)

if it's digitally encrypted, you can try vlc to do a streaming encode.
failing that, it's out of the scope of this discussion.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
it won't let you load drm'd media.....but there are some apps that you can use to get around that.
one i use for dvd's that have that stupid drm is called fairmount (_http://www.metakine.com/products/fairmount/)

if it's digitally encrypted, you can try vlc to do a streaming encode.
failing that, it's out of the scope of this discussion.
and that program will strip the DRM for a itunes file??

for some reason, VLC keep crashing whenever i try and load a itunes file

oiswego

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
New Yawk
if it's crashing...it probably doesn't like the drm.
a few more options you can try are redux encoder & film redux.
both are based on the source of the awesome visualhub project, which itself uses mencoder and ffmpeg.

you can also try a stream copy with mencoder, but again---that drm may be a pretty big roadblock:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-streamcopy.html

you may be stuck with what you got....

* i've also never tried with a drm'd itunes file, but you used to be able to convert files to something like .mov (another mp4 format) using quicktime.

and that program will strip the DRM for a itunes file??

for some reason, VLC keep crashing whenever i try and load a itunes file

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
* i've also never tried with a drm'd itunes file, but you used to be able to convert files to something like .mov (another mp4 format) using quicktime.
you cant do that with any file if you dont have the Pro version of Quicktime

i guess this is a lost cause.
fvck you very much itunes

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
you cant do that with any file if you dont have the Pro version of Quicktime

i guess this is a lost cause.
fvck you very much itunes
I bought it thinking I could burn it to DVD straight from iTunes. What was I thinking. Oh well, at least I still have the DVD in the mail... whenever that ****er arrives.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
When you buy a movie from Apple, it clearly states that you can only watch it on an Apple TV, iPod, iPhone, or iTunes. Did you think they were not talking to you?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
When you buy a movie from Apple, it clearly states that you can only watch it on an Apple TV, iPod, iPhone, or iTunes. Did you think they were not talking to you?
dont recall seeing that when i bought it.
plus there are converters out there that arent freeware

Why do people continue to suffer with iTunes?
follow me wasnt available anywhere else

Last edited: