Quantcast

freecoaster, gr.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005

i saw this, but i need a coaster brake..

i have an alex pro rim or something, i want to do it and in no way have any money to buy one...can i still do it, or is it not possible..if it isn't possible that way, is there a way to convert it with a normal cassette? thanks guys.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Oh heck that video took forever , so what he makes an unbrake by removing the brake pads and adding a washer , peopel have been doing that since the 80's woo hoo !
This is MUCH cooler

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
to my knowledge you can't make a freecoaster by using a cassette hub.

some kids bikes have coaster hubs on them, you could maybe find one laying around somewhere. but those hubs are complete crap so don't expect it to function real well. it can be an inexpensive way to try it out though.

Or take your chain off for a day....
Or save some cash for a real hub...

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
got ya..

thanks for that, i did check all my old wheels, and no luck with a coaster...i call my ****ty lbs whom i hate, and ask, do you have any coaster brake hubs for a 20" bike..they go oh, yeah come down..i go you have one on you now? yeah yeah we'll work out a price come down..i rid emy bike there, oh yeah we have to order it..then i takl to alan, one of the main guys..he goes oh you can't do that, blah blah, im like ive seen it done..he rambles about having custom springs, spacers..im like its not complicated..they are like u want to order one, i go bye...

my buddy is getting one soon, so ill try his, and i guess i'll check craigslist.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Take off your chain to see if you like it first. It's way different and that way you get a feel of it. You should be good at fakie with a coaster before a fc because the balance is the same and it's harder to ride out of.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
yeah i think ill give that a try tomorrow, see if i like it..

my buddy is getting one so he'll let me try it to see if there is a difference or anything..i think i should be OK its guna be a pain to turn since im brakeless tho

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, I'm brakeless too and it's really hard to ride w/o a chain. I'm decent at fakie normally, I can do small fakie hops and go for a bit, but it's WAY easier to fakie w/o chain, just practically impossible to turn around.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
i was just out in the back doing it with a chain, still not very good, i can do like 10-15 feet usually..hoping the freecoaster will add to my fakie and make me stronger at fakieing

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
freecoaster won't help with rolling backwards. you still have to practice....

as for turning around with no chain, why not do a slider? (or whatever the fack people call it these days) turn your bars, let the front tire slide while you turn around. Or hop 180.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
sliders are hard as balls, they truely piss me off. its weird i could half cab ever bike i have owned but with a freecoaster it just doesnt work as easily. i have mentioned this in other threads but my riding style uses pedal/chain tension to ride the way i do and i have had to change this drastically once i got the freecoaster. manuals, bunny hops, half cabs, hell even 360's are all different. the worst being dropping into ramps and the like, their is nothing to get pedal pressure against to kick up the front and back the way im used too. i guess its just the slack in the cranks or something along those lines. but on the other hand i do love it, being able to do all new crazy lines through the park is awesome

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
yes i do, and run 14 mm not 3/8..

i was thinking a poverty, but i only got 50 bucks on an american express gift card...what could i really get for that.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
50 bucks will get you that POS poverty thing. I'd personally save up for a quality hub and take your chain off for a day or two.

Or take five bucks down to the goodwill and buy a kids bike with a junk coaster hub and run the wheel (with no pegs) for a bit.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
like i said, i ride a 14mm only.my budyd has a coaster brake hub i can use, see if i even like it, though i snapped my shadow conspiracy chain today, could fakie decently but hard to control without being able to control anything.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
you could use adapters, no one mentioned it prolly cuz they thought you already know about em.

http://www.empirebmx.com/catalog/showdetail2.aspx?id=1091500&ret=catalog.aspx

but if you like your buddy's coaster what the guys are trying to stress is don't jump on some cheap hub cuz it's affordable. Save for quality you won't regret it. There's a couple freecoasters that are gonna come out soon so if you save now by the time they come out you'll have enough and hell you'll prolly be the first to get the new ones.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
yeah, like i said, my buddy is giving me an old coaster brake hub, ill try it see if i like it enough to dump 100 bucks on it