Quantcast

Freeride/Downhill Rims

IHBakuto

Chimp
Jun 30, 2007
Bow,Nh
I'am a Freeride Downhiller looking for some Rims i'am not sure what to buy and i would like to buy a wheelset i'am leening towards Mavic Deetraks, Sun rims MTX,or Suv But if i build a Set I will go for Dt/swiss;s or Mavic Ex Series Any Suggestions

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
DT Swiss if you can burn money. For a budget, I second the Transition wheels. I'm a Sun rims guy myself and for NH riding I'd take MTX. Get an 8 Track wheelset with Ringle hubs.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
btw the only reason the outlaw wheels are a little heavy is because of the hubs. not the rims at all as they are only about 550-600 grams. this means that where the weight is is not that big of a deal. it a large amount of the weight was in the rims the wheels would feel heavy then riding and they don't.

Feb 8, 2007
Am I misinformed when I say that the Azonic Outlaws and Transition wheelsets are exactly the same (sans decals)? I heard they were the identical, overseas manufactured wheelset - but separately branded.

Both decent wheelsets though.

skerb

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Clemson,SC
that is incorrect...it has been discussed many times and you can search to see the results, but no they are not the same rims or hubs.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
mavic makes a good rims with great quality. the mag30 (aka double track) is probably the strongest rim on the market. i had one and beat the living **** out of it and it never let me down. i did end up flatspotting it but the wheel should have imploded.

my personal favorite rim at the moment is the alex supra b. its alot lighter than most rims in its class let it is still very strong.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
yep thats it the alex supra d (there is a bh version that is about half the price but not welded)

btw jeremy and i are both big people. i come in at 260 ish on any given day and i beleave jeremy is more than that.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
I ran Syncros DPS32 & DPS36 wheels all last season. Come October they were pretty shot, however each set got in about 350 laps each down Whistler, not including Garbo laps. To me, thats extremely impressive.

This season I am running Atomlab Pimps. They are a touch heavier, and so far, after 200 laps, they are still in great shape. Tough as nails.

My wheels are always mounted to Ringle hubs. They last forever.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
I am currently on dps 32's laced to dimension and marz hubs. these rims are probably the strongest out there, including 2350's, deemax, or whatever else you want. i don't know of any other rim that is pinned, welded, and sleeved. the trade off is that they are a little heavy.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I've run EX823's for a majority of my days at Whistler this year...They've held up to my 260 lbs. of hamfisted DH'ing extremely well. My other wheelset is about 5 lbs. heavier (Arrow DHX's with 1600g tires...) but that has to do with the tires and not too much with the rims. The Arrow's (FRX and DHX) are just about the most indestructible rim I've ever run across.

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
Here's what I know from experience:

DT 6.1FR - Most expensive crappy rim out there. One weekend at Diablo left my rear wheel with six LARGE flatspots. Supposedly the new rims are made of a harder metal, but now they just crack instead of denting.

Mag 30 - Strong rim, but they eventually get spider cracks around the eyelets. Probably not a huge deal, but I don't like cracks in my rim.

EX 729 - Solid rim, no complaints.