Quantcast

Freewheels?

Randomshot

Monkey
Mar 12, 2009
Ft. Collins
i need to fix the gearing on the bike im putting together cause im getting a 25t chainring am i looking for a freewheel? or just cog? and what are the sizing issues? :confused:

thanks in advance

Randomshot

Monkey
Mar 12, 2009
Ft. Collins
sorry...im building a ss dj bike. i need to change my gear ratio right now it will be looking around 40.6 i hear u want it as close to 55 with my new sprocket ill need a 12 tooth cog, can i just get a new cog or will i need a new freewheel? never dealt with this before

thanks

Last edited:

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
the smallest you can get in a thread on cog is a 13t to my knowledge. To go to a 12, you'll need what's called a driver hub. Might want to post in the dj/bmx forum for this question, but I'm pretty certain you'll need to be rebuilding your wheel around a 12t driver hub.

FBinNY

Chimp
Jul 15, 2009
sorry...im building a ss dj bike. i need to change my gear ratio right now it will be looking around 40.6 i hear u want it as close to 55 with my new sprocket ill need a 12 tooth cog, can i just get a new cog or will i need a new freewheel? never dealt with this before

thanks
On a standard track hub you can mount a 12t fixed (no freewheel) cog. If you want a SS freewheel, you either need to move up to 13t, or use a special hub to accommodate 12t.

I know you've got your heart set on a small chainring, but going to a larger chainring will give you more freedom to achieve whatever gearing you need, and will also pay off in better chain and sprocket life. I suggest you consider a 28/14, 30/14, or 32/15 combination which give close to what you want while using common parts.

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
it depends on the hub you have, as mentioned above.

do you have a ss hub? or a 9 speed hub?

there are 11t and 12t cogs for 9 speed hubs.

a quick google search shows that there are 12t ss cogs. i see both thread-on and cassette style ones.