Quantcast

Freshly painted green bike build

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
My friend got a Kona Scrap (I think) last year and was using it for riding around the campus at OSU, and is planning to start trail riding again soon. He had some old, breaking parts on it and a drop off triple. So, his spring break goal was to make the bike nice again. He stripped it and repainted it the same color that he painted his truck a year ago. When he bought the bike it came with a Z1, so he put that back on. I had some Grimeca brakes laying around for the last year or two that I didn't need, as well as a new Transition seat and bars, so I gave him all of that. The pedals are atomlab, as well as the rear wheel. All in all, I think it turned out to look really good and it should ride great too. Later this week he'll be making custom decals for the frame and maybe fork.

The frame right after being painted:

Mostly done, but no cranks yet...

Basically done, just no chain yet (it was off to be cleaned):

I'll post pics of the decals when they are made. It really looks like a Ridemonkey bike to me, with all the right colors.

Last edited:

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
How about a few close ups of the paint? Lookin good.
I didn't think of that. I'll get some after the decals are on. I think it would be great if he made decals like the photoshopped picture above! I think he's just going to make Kona ones though.

The paint is actually car paint, the same stuff he had used on his truck. The sprayer was having some issues so it didn't get the best coverage, but it really doesn't look bad even up close.

Here's the truck, which he sold after building...

Last edited:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Nice truck. Too bad he doesn't have the matching pair.

Vector logos here.

Your sticker maker will love ya for not bring a sh1tty web graphic.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
I'm pretty sure he's drawing/designing his own, he's good at that kind of work. He's going to be making it himself on a vinyl printer (I think that's what it is) that can do stickers.

He sold the truck because it kept having slight adjustment problems of sorts. Without spending too much time he wasn't able to make it do what he wanted it to do... I don't know a lot of automotive stuff, but that's the premise of it...

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
He decided to keep it simple. It looks pretty good, and I guess I was wrong in the first post when I thought it was a Scrap originally; it was a Shred, although the frames are the same thing anyway:

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Bike looks good, I'm loving the color. I don't mean to be a dick but those decals suck! Too simple in my opinion. If it is what you look then more on you. Have fun riding that beast.