Quantcast

Friday’s photo deal

highrevs

Monkey
Oct 13, 2005
NC
Anybody have any blue themed shots to share? I have not had time to come up with anything, so far. I still have the rest of the day though.

Graphics

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
Connecticut
here's mine...damn HRev...you are always up my *ss before I
can get started!!!

I got two this time cause i love them both...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Wow, Graphics, I love the first one - are you hitting the limits of your camera's resolution and exposure with it (hence the un-sharp hair and blown highlights) or was this a deliberate effect that you created in Photoshop?

Whichever it is, it gives the image a very... "painted" or surreal look, and it's great.

Graphics

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
Connecticut
Wow, Graphics, I love the first one - are you hitting the limits of your camera's resolution and exposure with it (hence the un-sharp hair and blown highlights) or was this a deliberate effect that you created in Photoshop?

Whichever it is, it gives the image a very... "painted" or surreal look, and it's great.
thanks BV...no photoshop effect...just camera crap. One day I'll own a good one. :)

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
ah blue - reading skills > me...

Here's a little abstract in blue and pink.

A little explanation is in order here. I was just playing around with the camera when I took the original. We have some glass beads hanging from one of our windows. One day the sun was setting and shining through the beads. I wanted to try to capture the colors and not necessarily the beads themselves, so I took a bunch of out of focus macro shots. Since I was shooting straight into the sun I got a lot of cool color aberrations and lens flare. I put this photo (originally of a blue, a yellow, and a red bead) into photoshop and started playing with the hue and saturation of the different colors to make it more blue. I did a little blurring too to make it less pixellated. The result is what you see here.

highrevs

Monkey
Oct 13, 2005
NC
I was surprised at how many blue pencils I was able to find around the office…

So Graphics, what about next weeks theme?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Is it fair if blue isn't really the theme, but takes up a fair amount of the shot?

I love the red/blue in the first and second. The first looks like my avatar (red ground/blue sky) .Are those caterpillars in the second that are the same color as the flower?

A flash would have made the rider in the first look better, but him being dark, makes him not stand out too much, but enough to see the background how it is (especially how light and colorful it is).

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I love the red/blue in the first and second. The first looks like my avatar (red ground/blue sky) .Are those caterpillars in the second that are the same color as the flower?

A flash would have made the rider in the first look better, but him being dark, makes him not stand out too much, but enough to see the background how it is (especially how light and colorful it is).
Nope, just part of the flowers.

A flash? Man, that would have been too much to expect from the crappy HP camera that I had along to get that pic with! I'd forgotten my regular cam, but had the old, crap HP in the car.

I actually prefer the pic with the rider darker, and edited it a bit to get it so. A little darker, a little more color saturation, and that was it.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I actually prefer the pic with the rider darker, and edited it a bit to get it so. A little darker, a little more color saturation, and that was it.
I agree. Him being dark makes the sky and rock look really good.

That's probably better than the disposables I take on rides (instead of my dslr). Eventually, I want to get a little camera (I want in it: manual, aperture priority, shutter priority, at least 5 AF points, ability to use converters and filters, at least 6mp, and the ability to shoot in raw).

Does that exist for under $500?

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I agree. Him being dark makes the sky and rock look really good.

That's probably better than the disposables I take on rides (instead of my dslr). Eventually, I want to get a little camera (I want in it: manual, aperture priority, shutter priority, at least 5 AF points, ability to use converters and filters, at least 6mp, and the ability to shoot in raw).

Does that exist for under $500?

I'm sure you can get close to that. I'm no big photo expert though. My current is a Cannon A-520. It's a nice size; rides along in a little padded case that sits on one of my Camelbak straps. I don't even notice it while riding; hangs nicely tucked out of the way.

Whenever it dies, I'll replace it with something a little nicer.