Quantcast

-- Friday's Ride Thread --

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
You rochester boys might have the TNUA, but now we (or at least I) have the TAOD ride - Thursday Assult On Daylight. The goal of the TAOD ride is to get in as much riding as possible while it's still daylight. As long as the roads stay clear, I hope to do it every Thursday (or perhaps Tuesdays and/or Thursdays, as my schedule permits). It should work out well... as I get in better shape, the days will be getting longer allowing me to ride longer, thus continually pushing myself. In theory, this is going to be a great thing.

Left work at 4 yesterday, flew home, got changed, and was pedaling by 4:30. Rode till almost 6. Did about 11 miles, including 1 decent climb, 1 good climb, and 1 hellish climb. It was an excellent workout, and I'm feeling really good this morning.

Anyone else riding?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
douglas said:
how may people show up for the TOAD ride?

edit - looks like just 1
Yep - just me. I went home last night hoping to squeeze in a quick ride. While I was out, the idea for the TAOD ride came to me. I'm going to invite people for next week's TAOD, but since it starts so early, I'm not sure how many people will be able to make it. Most of the local riders seem to work until 5.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Trails are too muddy and probably will be for the next few weeks to ride. But tomorrow I get to bust my ass fixing a horrible section of trail. Ironically the section of trail being rebuilt was a reroute done by the IMBA TCC, nothing like a nice bench cut trail put right on top of a natural spring. I really don't know if it can be fixed, we may have to close it up and reroute the reroute back to the original trail

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I think I need a TOAD ride.

I just went to the gym last night and worked shoulders. More of the same this weekend: Hockey game tonight, workout tomorrow, workout Sunday. I'm going to begin to cut back on the calories to shed some poundage. I'm at 176 and want to get to 165.

Sunday night is the Super Bowl eatfest. :)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I Are Baboon said:
I think I need a TOAD ride.
It's really a pretty cool thing. Everything about it encourages progression. As I get better, the days get longer, thus I push myself more. Since it's a race against daylight, I tend to push myself harder/longer in order to get in that extra mile or two before darkness.

I'm pretty psyched about it.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
jacksonpt said:
It's really a pretty cool thing. Everything about it encourages progression. As I get better, the days get longer, thus I push myself more. Since it's a race against daylight, I tend to push myself harder/longer in order to get in that extra mile or two before darkness.

I'm pretty psyched about it.
Cool.

McG keeps hounding me about getting out for some post-work pavement riding.

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
I Are Baboon said:
Cool.

McG keeps hounding me about getting out for some post-work pavement riding.
You guys should come on up to the BMX track in Westfield. Its like 45 minutes up 10/202. I go every Tues\Thurs after work till about 9.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
tonyhawk said:
You guys should come on up to the BMX track in Westfield. Its like 45 minutes up 10/202. I go every Tues\Thurs after work till about 9.
Don't I have to use a BMX bike or make modifications to my Titus to ride there?

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
I Are Baboon said:
Don't I have to use a BMX bike or make modifications to my Titus to ride there?
Crash Test brought his Bullit. He suffered, but he rode it. If you've got a hardtail, I'd recommend it.

They allow mtn bikes on Tues\Thurs for practice sessions. Full-face helmets, long sleeves and pants required. Ride from 5-9 for $7 (I usually don't get there till about 6:30 though).

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
tonyhawk said:

Tuesdays and Thursdays are Liam's hockey team's normal practice nights, so it makes it hard to get to the BMX track as I would rather spend time with my son.

But that track looks challenging and fun as hell at the same time.

My Marin is SS'd - but a little big - maybe I should just look for a cheap old beater frame in a smaller size and that could be my BMX track MTB.

IAB - if you can squeeze on the Rockhopper that might work for the track.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I Are Baboon said:
Thanks yo, but I am not buying another bike. :p The Rockhopper would be way to small. My knees would hit the handlebar. I'd rather suffer on the Titus.

Hey, did the spin bikes last night have SPD pedals?

Ask Tony but you kind of want a little bike for that place.

the spin bikes were Lemonds and they did have SPD pedals - do you have any extra cleats Muchambo?

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
MMcG said:
Tuesdays and Thursdays are Liam's hockey team's normal practice nights, so it makes it hard to get to the BMX track as I would rather spend time with my son.

But that track looks challenging and fun as hell at the same time.

My Marin is SS'd - but a little big - maybe I should just look for a cheap old beater frame in a smaller size and that could be my BMX track MTB.

IAB - if you can squeeze on the Rockhopper that might work for the track.
That's understandable. If Liam ever has a Tues or Thurs off from hockey, bring him up with you - he's got a bike, right? The place is full of other kids (most of them kick my butt around the track too).

The course is fun and fast. Everything is completely roll-able and smooth, but there's room for some big air if you want it. Lotsa talented riders to watch also.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MMcG said:

the spin bikes were Lemonds and they did have SPD pedals - do you have any extra cleats Muchambo?
Sorry hombre, but I do not have any spare cleats. Sets are cheap enough though ($15).

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
MMcG said:
Well, I'm 6'-1" and my Azonic Steelhead seems to work very well there. Its definitely small and will never see a trail. Specs are:

Seat Tube: 15"
Top Tube Length (effective): 21.75"
Head Tube Angle: 71°
Seat Tube Angle: 72.5°
Chainstay Length: 16.25 - 17.25", adjustable

Its set up with a rigid Surly Instigator fork and Surly 1x1 singlespeed.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
after a road ride these days, definitely give yr bike a spraydown to keep the road salt at bay.

these days my biking consists of that damn spin bike. and we got another 3" or so of snow last night.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MMcG said:
I thought when you were married everything is community property ;)
that's how it works w/ me, and i've got the added bonus that my wife and are about the same height so i can use any of her bikes pretty easily (just need to adjust the shock settings).

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
narlus said:
that's how it works w/ me, and i've got the added bonus that my wife and are about the same height so i can use any of her bikes pretty easily (just need to adjust the shock settings).
That's a nice arrangement!
:cool:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Weirdly I didn't ride last night. All is good as I suspect I needed a rest. I am hoping we will go out tonight if conditions hold up. It is supposed to get real warm today.....jdcamb

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MMcG said:
That's a nice arrangement!
:cool:
so if someone say around my height wants to do some DH'ing and doesn't have a rig, i can ride the 222 and they can ride my giant. IAB, you wouldn't happen to know anyone like that, would you? :sneaky:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
yea, I'm hoping to get out Sunday. The weather has been really warm this week, and it's supposed to keep getting better through the weekend. Hopefully enough snow has melted so I can get out on the trail some.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
narlus said:
so if someone say around my height wants to do some DH'ing and doesn't have a rig, i can ride the 222 and they can ride my giant. IAB, you wouldn't happen to know anyone like that, would you? :sneaky:
:dancing: