Quantcast

Friend's sweet new ride

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
They are actually on blow out for 04 models right now, $210 regulary now they are $195. Improvements for the 05's are coming, not a ton of changes but its getting ISCG mounts and a few other tweaks, keep checking their site, they will have info up as soon as the 05's are ready.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I am also sponsored by them, as of a couple weeks ago. Unfortuantely, I can't afford a bike yet. That's really cool that they're sponsoring so many people. Even though the fract that they will sponsor almost anyone detracts from the prestige of their sponsorship, I don't think it matters, because I still get to save money!

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
hmm, sounds to me like anyone who wants to be is "sponsored". Sounds like pro form abuse to me I don't think it will last. Good luck guys, but just sayin'......

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
What do you mean by "pro form abuse"? They are probably selling things more or less at dealer cost, so it's not like they're giving them away (for that deal, they do indeed require a healthy race résumé). Anyway, at the basic sponsorship level, you merely get hook-ups in exchange for giving them free publicity--just look at this thread! I doubt you are critical of bike shop employees for getting good deals on stuff, because, although on a larger scale, they too are getting hook-ups for helping a company's business. As for whether or not it will last, my crystal ball hasn't been working very well lately, but I don't know why it wouldn't. If they are selling things approximately at cost to sponsored riders, they are earning about the same amount of money as if their products were sold through dealers. I see no problem with this; as I said, I don't know what you mean by "pro form abuse," but I don't see how this is abusing anything.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Didn't they do a review in Dirt Rag on a frame built by them? They said it was virtually indestructable...they hucked off billboards on it or something.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
NateH said:
hmm, sounds to me like anyone who wants to be is "sponsored". Sounds like pro form abuse to me I don't think it will last. Good luck guys, but just sayin'......
Agreed....

ted89

Chimp
Jul 4, 2004
Maine
sounds like the sponsership deal is just a really nice thing they're doing to appeal to slew of really ambitious kids. Hell, i'm gonna apply. Those frames look damn sweet, and they're cheap too.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
nicklin said:
kinda makes sense to me too
me too.

i think it's really cool what they're doing, bringing down prices for kids so it's easier to afford stuff. and their hookup works. as someone said, just look at all the threads about them.
i really hope Soul Cycles is here to stay and they can influence the industry to bring prices down a little. it's definitely true that they can sell the frame for cheap because you buy it directly thru them and there is no dealer markup. however, i wonder if the companies they are dealers for (marzocchi, manitou, truvativ, etc) are gonna get pissed that their stuff is getting sold so cheap. maybe not. i hope not, but we'll just have to see
the other thing that could put them under is that they aren't marking stuff up enough and making enough of a profit. if they're making less than 20% on things, i think it might be hard to keep their head above water. who knows. maybe they're just running this whole operation out of their basement, keeping the overhead super low and they've got a really good business plan. i'm just speculating. like i said, i hope they're hear to stay. they seem like a great company. i just hope capitalism doens't :nuts:

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Amen. As for the other companies' stuff being sold chepap, I doubt they care, becuse the other companies are probably getting the same amount of money, but Soul Cycles is making less.

drift1492

Chimp
Mar 19, 2002
I'm not sponsored, just bought a frame, and still got a sweet deal ;).

I was about to go ride xc with some friends when i took the pic. (The reason for the seat raised up into the clouds)

I love this bike. Its strong enough to tackle the local DH trail, and the next day I can take it out and ride circles around my xc friends on their trails as well. Well worth the $. :monkey:

Attachments

Crankrings

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
On the moon
Whoa...bonehead of the year award goes to me. I picked up a SOUL Hardline frame looking to build up a MTN SS. Guess what? this thing takes 700C.

"I DID NOT KNOW THIS"

Mister 29er is just around the corner when I can get the kASH dollarz up for the Disk brakEs needed to run the big wheels....this thing is everymans machine. Geared Mtn Bike/29r or Single Speed of your chosing. Assault weapon of choice...very sweet frame. The rigid fork they put with it is NICE!