Quantcast

Front derailleur compatible DH frames/bikes?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Thinking I might be able to buy a new DH bike this year. I've been doing the one bike thing for a few years since I parted ways with my Marin Team DH. I really got used to having a front derailleur on the Marin, it was awesome for the fireroad climbs to get to the trails. From what I can see now the Blindside is about it - not that it's bad, I'm just wondering if I have a choice.

I'm looking for -

8 inches of travel (not 7 or 7.7)
Low BB
65 degree head angle

Am I missing any bikes?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
demo 8??
I don't know about the latest one but previous models were FD compatible.

Kanter managed to get a FD to work on his SOCOM as well..

Canfield should make a model that suits your needs too.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Old Demo 8 took one. Should have bought one then, new one doesn't.

Canfield Can Diggle might be cool, but their website doesn't state if it has FD routing or not.

Perp's geometry isn't what I'm looking for.

Socom may be interesting. My buddy owns an Intense shop, I'll bug him about it.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Keep em comin!

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Sure can with the VPfree.

Really though, can't most DH bikes sort of hack on a front der with the DRS and e-type? You can run full housing, then use a clamp on cable stop. Definitely not ideal, but might work well enough. that said, very much depends on the frame, of course.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Really though, can't most DH bikes sort of hack on a front der with the DRS and e-type? You can run full housing, then use a clamp on cable stop. Definitely not ideal, but might work well enough. that said, very much depends on the frame, of course.
You can hack it, but as you said it depends on the frame. The chain growth can't be overly long and the chain needs to be able to clear everything on a 22 tooth ring.

Feb 23, 2005
Spokanada
Old Demo 8 took one. Should have bought one then, new one doesn't.
Not true. You can run a front der on both the new Demo 7 and the Demo 8. The 8 just doesnt have cable guides. The derailleur clamps to the vertical tube at the front of the rear triangle. I have also seen one running an Etype.

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
you should check out wickedracin's front deraileur kit that makes it like a fdr and a dh chain guide

i don't have one or know anyone who does, i just think its a cool idea. and if you are doing dh and need a front dr then it might be worth looking into.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
:confused:

I was able to run a Saint front derailleur on my RMX, worked fine with a DRS guide. Stock frame, no mods...
You missed the joke. He's saying its not really a DH bike because of the geometry. He's making modified rocker links to lower/slacken them ;)

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
You missed the joke. He's saying its not really a DH bike because of the geometry. He's making modified rocker links to lower/slacken them ;)
zooooom...right over my head!

And I even read his thread about the new rockers too.

:bonk:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Both the glory and the Faith will take a front derailer without any mods, there are a bunch more out there setup to use a front derailer, and as said you can always set it up with an etype and a DRS stsyem!!!