Quantcast

~$~ Fry dray ~$~

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
In other news, Doggo Tate got a face full of Bear-Ass.
You read that right. He was walking off leash on a trail with wifey. I guess he started sniffing something deep in some bushes, and a very large bear’s ass arose from the shrubbery, and took off running. Tate was unhappy they wouldn’t play with him.
This is his second encounter in two weeks.
Sayadasti was right, obviously, just big dogs.
TATER!
Resized_20230116_191947.jpeg

good boy.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Yeah, I dunno about that. They are not the first large family to thru hike the AT. Been done a few times, actually. Consider that 3 million people hike some portion of the AT per year and there is only a tiny fraction of about 4,000 hikers who attempt a thru hike per year. I know because I was one of them. So her large family’s impact is negligible.
May be negligible...if they are responsible and controlled. However, if the family is, as the article says, "...starting to struggle..." are the odds in favor of them being so? Without a cattle prod and a few shock collars? Ages 4-24?

You are not the only one around here who has done such things... #justsayin

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
May be negligible...if they are responsible and controlled. However, if the family is, as the article says, "...starting to struggle..." are the odds in favor of them being so? Without a cattle prod and a few shock collars? Ages 4-24?

You are not the only one around here who has done such things... #justsayin
I'm really glad I thru-hiked the CT way back in the mid-90's. I'd go *days* without seeing a single other person...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm really glad I thru-hiked the CT way back in the mid-90's. I'd go *days* without seeing a single other person...
I assume you are putting the accentuation on "back in the mid-90s" and not "glad I thru-hiked CT".

Were you in some kind of legal peril? Were you getting paid to contract lymes disease? Were you sponsored by a boat shoe company? Was this some kind of weed trafficking route?

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I assume you are putting the accentuation on "back in the mid-90s" and not "glad I thru-hiked CT".

Were you in some kind of legal peril? Were you getting paid to contract lymes disease?
uh

Colorado Trail, not Connecticut

we don't have Lyme carrying ticks out here

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My neighbor is a piece of work. His latest thing is he's set up a fire pit and chairs in the driveway and cranks obnoxious music. He can't sit on the porch, he needs to be in the driveway and tell at everyone who walks by. I can hear him and his music while I'm in the shed and it's annoying. The wife thinks I should put a stereo out here and play some of my music.

His playlist goes from 80's hair metal, to country, to hip hop. None of it good.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My neighbor is a piece of work. His latest thing is he's set up a fire pit and chairs in the driveway and cranks obnoxious music. He can't sit on the porch, he needs to be in the driveway and tell at everyone who walks by. I can hear him and his music while I'm in the shed and it's annoying. The wife thinks I should put a stereo out here and play some of my music.

His playlist goes from 80's hair metal, to country, to hip hop. None of it good.
Late 90's dance music and K-Pop. DO IT!

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Sisquoc Wilderness loop behind Santa Barbara. 90 miles, We saw one group of 3 on day 6 of 9

Golden Trout wilderness just south of Whitney via Cottonwood lakes and new Army pass. we saw one person in two weeks, funny thing is we knew him, High School PE teacher, Mr Beede

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Wife is currently in the throes of guilt wondering if we should have another child. She grew up as literally the only kid in her family and is worried ours will feel that same level of loneliness. :panic:
We have 2. They are 6 years apart and I love that they are 2 completely different kids. Syd was alone until just after turning 6. Loneliness wasn't really an issue as we found her to be portable and we didn't really miss out on much when we had her because she was an outdoorsy kid. Alex is super active and loves to bike and has always been a portable kid too. Logistically it's a challenge sometimes because there was a point when they had 2 completely different schedules, but then Syd got her license and it's all evening out again. Whatever you decide works for you is good....don't let anyone else's preconceived notions matter (yes, it's harder done than said but I find I care less and less about what the masses say as I get older too).