Quantcast

FSA MegaExo 83mm crankset 794g

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Are there actual different crank arm lengths, or is the pedal insert placement adjusted to determine length?

toby

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
You're thinking of FUNN I believe. These cranks are actual crank arm lengths. (below are the 165's)

Ahhh, gulp, umm... unfortunately we used to do that too :plthumbsdown:. But thankfully all current cranks are "cut to length" so that problem is history :thumb:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Damn I want some.... Now I just gotta wait till they're available from an online shop somewhere.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
Damn I want some.... Now I just gotta wait till they're available from an online shop somewhere.
Go-Ride may be an option, and Fluidride, Drop N Zone or Ride This are worth a shot as well.

Otherwise, our distributor in Australia is very good. SCV imports represents us well, but there is obviously a delay in getting things across the water. Maybe not yet, but they will certainly be available within Australia as soon as possible.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Here at Go-Ride they just arrived!
$195

The 165's are indeed cut short so there's minimal material around the pedal insert.
BB is compatable with shimano/RF too. Bonus!

Krispy

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
Here at Go-Ride they just arrived!
$195

The 165's are indeed cut short so there's minimal material around the pedal insert.
BB is compatable with shimano/RF too. Bonus!

Krispy
Technically no... it's not intended to run with Shimano or Raceface. Even a small change in cup width can effect the left arm engagement and potentially cause the left arm to fall off.

But yeah... as long as you measure your cup widths it would work, they are all 24mm spindles. Perhaps the better thing to say is... also compatible with ceramic bearings, now that they aren't funky double row cartridges.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
We can only get em with rings/bash. Luckily they're a good price regardless. We could pull of the rings and save you a few bucks but we have more than we can sell so we can't really give you a lot of money for them.

Krispy

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
We can only get em with rings/bash. Luckily they're a good price regardless. We could pull of the rings and save you a few bucks but we have more than we can sell so we can't really give you a lot of money for them.

Krispy
that's fine....i just don't need them at all, i already have extra chainrings.....i'll drop you a line monday when i get paid:greedy:

Vena

Monkey
Aug 30, 2007
Italy
I'm ordering the crankset from go-ride but i was wondering which tools do i need to mount properly the Mega exo BB?
Do i need any specific tool?

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
A Park BBT-9 and some allen wrenches is all you'll need.

FYI, I got a set of these cranks from Go-Ride just before heading to Whistler last week, and I love them. I was really surprised at how much lighter they made my bike feel (I'm the first one to call B.S. when someone says they notice how much lighter a seatpost or something is), and Krispy and the dudes from Go-Ride were great at getting everything shipped right away.

--JP

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
yeah i got these things installed for last weekend. worked well on my 7point w/ LG1-taco. They are noticeable lighter than my old saints.

I weigh 145lbs and have been DHing every weekend on the same pair of Singletrack rims, so i'm not especially worried about breaking these cranks.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
I'm ordering the crankset from go-ride but i was wondering which tools do i need to mount properly the Mega exo BB?
Do i need any specific tool?
It's the standard external BB cup tool size. Lots of people make a tool that works.

This one is nice:

But there are a lot on the market that will do the trick, including Park obviously.

Cheerio and enjoy!

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
mine are on the way....thanks krispy......can't wait......should have my bike down to about 36 pounds......awwwww shooooot.....now i just want to get a fox fork, and i'm all done fussing with my stupid bike

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
No. You're never done.
Even if you buy the lightest parts ever available, one day you find yourself machining this and that down. And as time passes by, new model years come and the parts become even lighter.
Don't waste your time with the scale, do some more exercise and you're fine.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
humm I might look in to those. I (foolishly) replaced my creaking and Hozefellers with a new set of OCT Hozefellers and the new cranks are just as creaky.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah from what I've seen the actual interface truvativ uses has a lot of issues, the BB bearings also tend to suck. Wouldn't touch OCT's or any of their products with a ten foot pole personally, for cranksets I'd be sticking with Shimano or FSA exclusively.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Yeah from what I've seen the actual interface truvativ uses has a lot of issues, the BB bearings also tend to suck. Wouldn't touch OCT's or any of their products with a ten foot pole personally, for cranksets I'd be sticking with Shimano or FSA exclusively.

Wow, not my experiance, been running a vareity of Holzfeller cranks on all my bikes over the past few years and no issues with BBs or the cranks themselves. Just got a new set of 2008 OCT 165mm for next season.

I have had issues with FSA and Race Face BBs over the last few years though.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I've never had one issue with my Holzfellar setup, but I had all kinds of issues with my saints.
blasphmey! My saint's are wonderful. Haven't had to touch them in 2 years! And they are beat to SH-T, lemme tell you. almost no finish or unscratched area left on the area beneath the pedal, but still straight and strong.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Hmmm...

How do these compare to Hones? Saints? I am not sure what the respective weights are measured with. (Cups, Sleeves, nothing?)

I am planning on swapping the Saints off of my FR/AM that are also running an E-13 DRS. These should drop at least 200g - maybe 300+ once I get thesenumbers figured out.

Does any have a recommend of a lighter, but still bashable, bashguard to swap for theSuperCharger and save a little more? I am no weight weenie, but my Bullit used to be my DH bike at 45lb setup, I have it down to 39.5, and with a tire swap expect another 1lb or so. Am hoping to get 1/2lb to 1lb more from crank mods.

I am resisting the ti spring.