Quantcast

FSA V-drive Xtreme

Loner

Chimp
May 6, 2003
Sweden
So I recently found out that you're supposed to have washers between your pedals and your cranks on another thread here. Since I didn't get any wahsers with my cranks I e-mailed FSA about this. They said that they were going to send me some washers. Today I recieved a letter from FSA. A big nice letter containing their full product catalog and two washers. Unfortunately they were crankbolt washers and not pedal washers. So I emailed them again and got the response that as far as he knew they don't have these washers. But everyone here who owns these cranks say that they received them with their cranks.

Arrrrghh this is getting really frustrating. I've also been to 2 hardware stores and two bike shops and none of them had any washer this size. Am I gonna have to get some larger washers and sand them down myself? This is a real hassle for me since I don't own a lathe.

My other option is to run them without washers and hope they hold up anyway or if they don't send them to be warrantied.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Wierd. You must've gotten someone new or unknowledgable at FSA. They DEFINITELY have the washers, and will send them to you. As much of a pain as it is, I would speak to them again.

Are you sure the washers they sent are the wrong ones? The size is pretty close, though the pedal washers are thinner.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by builder666
Can you say local hardware store?;)
It's an odd size. Has to fit into a small depression around the threaded hole. I doubt you'd find it at True Value...

Loner

Chimp
May 6, 2003
Sweden
Originally posted by ohio
Wierd. You must've gotten someone new or unknowledgable at FSA. They DEFINITELY have the washers, and will send them to you. As much of a pain as it is, I would speak to them again.

Are you sure the washers they sent are the wrong ones? The size is pretty close, though the pedal washers are thinner.
I e-mailed FSA headquarters about this but I haven't heard back yet. I also e-mailed the place were I bought them from and they said that they are going to send me some washers although he seemed sceptical to the fact that I hadn't received them from the beginning. So hopefully this will get sorted out now.

I'm sure they aren't the correct size since they are identical to the washer that comes with the crankbolts.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
all V-drives come with 'em zip-tied to the crankarm.

Emailing companies is a shot in the dark. I prefer to call them up directly, you'll get an answer fast (rather than next week), and there's less ambiguity about what you're really talking about. The only people I feel comfortable emailing is Evil, they seem to have their **** together....

Loner

Chimp
May 6, 2003
Sweden
Originally posted by sub6
all V-drives come with 'em zip-tied to the crankarm.

Emailing companies is a shot in the dark. I prefer to call them up directly, you'll get an answer fast (rather than next week), and there's less ambiguity about what you're really talking about. The only people I feel comfortable emailing is Evil, they seem to have their **** together....
This is what I heard. But I suspect that the shop repackages them after recieving them form FSA because the cranks came in a plastic bag with handwritten text on it.

As far as emails go FSA Europe where quick to answer but didn't know what I was talking about. I haven't heard back from FSA headquarters yet. The reason why I prefer e-mails is since I live in sweden it's cheaper and since english is not my native language, if there's a word I don't know I can always look it up.

Anyway, I got an e-mail from the place were I bought them and they said they sent me the washers today so hopefully I will have them by monday. I really hope they are the right ones this time.

Squid

Chimp
Dec 13, 2002
Rochester, NY
I also received my FSA V-drives with no pedal washers. They came with crank bolts, which included 2 sets of washers, 1 thick set for under the bolt, and one thin set which goes between the bolt head and the self extracting cap. I thought the thin set at first was pedal washers, but they are, in fact, too small to fit over the pedal axle threads.

There were, however, no pedal washers. :( My pedals (kona jack****) didnt come with washers either. So, I just ran them without. I dont know what this does to the cranks, but I havent had any problems so far, that I know of.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Originally posted by Squid
I also received my FSA V-drives with no pedal washers. They came with crank bolts, which included 2 sets of washers, 1 thick set for under the bolt, and one thin set which goes between the bolt head and the self extracting cap. I thought the thin set at first was pedal washers, but they are, in fact, too small to fit over the pedal axle threads.

There were, however, no pedal washers. :( My pedals (kona jack****) didnt come with washers either. So, I just ran them without. I dont know what this does to the cranks, but I havent had any problems so far, that I know of.
you're gonna die.

:p

Loner

Chimp
May 6, 2003
Sweden
Now it turns out that the guy at FSA Europe has done some searching in their warehouse and came up with the pedal washers and are going to send them by express mail. So the chances of getting the wrong washers again has been greatly reduced.

Squid:

If you were to take your pedals off sometime you will probably notice that they have started to dig into your crank arm. I don't know how far they will go without doing any damage but I don't think I want to find out. Because when they dig into far you will die :D :D

Loner

Chimp
May 6, 2003
Sweden
I got two letters today. One from FSA and one from the shop were I bought my cranks from. The shop sent me the wrong washers. FSA sent me the right ones this time. Included was also a bunch of stickers. It's kinda funny because the washers have pedal washer written on them, so it would be hard to misstake them for something else.

It also turns out that the e-mail that I sent to FSA Headquarters actually landed at FSA Europe. Obviously my persistance was enough for the guy at FSA Europe to do some more searching to locate these washers.