Quantcast

Ft. Lewis continues to dominate collegiate MTB events

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Ft. Lewis continues to dominate collegiate MTB events
VeloNews | November 1, 2004 | Ian Dille

Fort Lewis College dominated both the men's and women's downhill events at the Collegiate Nationals at Seven Springs, Pennsylvania, on Sunday, securing yet another team omnium title in the process.

Tough conditionsAlthough the sun finally came through Sunday morning, the previous day's rain left the twisty single-track course in rough shape. A peanut buttery mixture of mud covered the trail's many rocks, roots, and stumps.

The Women's Division II title went to Fort Lewis College freshman Leana Gerrard. While many of her competitors ended up carrying their bikes down large stretches of the course, Gerrard found the effort "challenging, but fun."

"I would catch girls at the bottom of the steep down hills who were just laying there," she said, "I had to run a bit so I wouldn't hit them."

Her teammate, Susan Grandjean, finished fifth to capture the omnium title from Vermont's Karen Walkerman who placed sixth on the day.

"I'm just really tired. I could barely control my bike coming down the hill," said Walkerman, who competed in all four events.

In the Men's Division I race Fort Lewis again posted a one-two finish with Paul Smith taking the win by a large margin. Because of the rainy conditions and the continuation of the Dual Slalom Finals on Saturday, racers weren't able to get as much practice on the course as they would have liked.

"I didn't get that many runs on the course before the race," said Smith as he relaxed at the awards ceremony, "We just came out today, put on the mud tires and went at it."

The battle for omnium titles continued in the Men's Division II Downhill final. Aaron Bradford (Lees-McRae College) smoked the course for the win with his teammate David Flynn, finishing second. But it was another Lees-McRae rider, Brent Bookwalter, who rode to a solid seventh place finish to secure his omnium title.

"I rode pretty much the whole course, but I dabbed a lot," said Bookwalter after the race, "I probably only had both my feet on the pedals for a minute of the whole run."

In the women's Division II race, Linden Kimmerer of Humboldt State held of three Lees-McRae rider Sarah McCallister for the victory. Lees-Mcrae took three of the top five spots in the race.

Colorado schools took a near sweep of the team omnium standings with only Vermont sneaking on to the Podium at third. Colorado finished second with fellow Rocky Mountain Conference teams, Mesa State and Colorado State finishing fourth and fifth respectively.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Just so you know. ETSU took 2nd and 4th in Div.2 Slalom. We won it last year. It was alot of fun to watch all the racing. Had the time of my life, really.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Man, I wish I could have gone to race but work was too much to kill a whole weekend. At least my team did well. Leah Davison won both XC events (D2) and the 2 guys we had there had a strong showing.

CharlieM

Monkey
Aug 7, 2004
Lindsey Wilson College dominated the Div I Dual Slalom events with Freshman Charlie Mooney taking the national title. Andrew Parsons took 2nd place and Cody Stagner took 5th place.

L

Lightninleana

Ya Fort Lewis rocks! We definatly had a strong showing this weekend. A lot of thanks has to go to Michelin tires though who provided our team with the spiked tires needed for that mud. They were definatly the key for that dual course with all the grass corners. Anyways it was a lot of fun and hopefully we will be able to carry on the stars and bars tradition for many years to come.