Quantcast

Full face helmet for general trail/enduro riding

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
For many reasons (fatherhood, often riding alone in an area without cell phone coverage, rocks), I am looking to get a light(er) full-face helmet for general trail riding.

The question is : who uses a full-face helmet for that kind of riding (non-lift accessed but rocky, tech and steep) and what are you using ? I don't want a detachable chin as I want a full-face for the chin protection and I don't want to hear creaks, fiddle with locks and stuff.

I just ordered a Leatt Gravity 4.0 at 30% off and can also have a TLD Stage at 40% off. Hearing well is also important for me and those two models have holes over the ears. I have a FOX Rampage that I basically never used because the cheek pads are unbearable for more than a run so comfort will be the most important factor.

Those that are out : Smith Mainline too expensive/ MIPS liner's noise is apparently annoying, MET, BELL, Giro.
Those that I can't have locally or mail-order easy : IXS, 100%, Kali, 7idp.

Thanks!

mtb-gravity-40-helmet-2021-black-1021000560.jpgLEATT GRAVITY 4.0

stage-nova-mips-mtb-helmet-hi-viz-yellow-115254041.jpgTROY LEE DESIGNS STAGE

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I've got the Stage and I've worn it for some pretty big outings. It comes with various cheekpad thicknesses so you can tune to your head shape. Nice and quiet and relatively well ventilated, magnetic closure is friggen awesome. Can recommend.

The new Proframe might be worth a look, also check out the Endura MT500 full face.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
IXS Trigger FF are really good as is the Stages.
Re the Fox proframe?
Unless they have REALLY redesigned them I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. I've seen too many of them implode in crashes.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Thanks all! That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Now I just need to assume the fact that I'll be wearing a full face on xc-ish rides. Still have a few months to convince myself before the snow melts!

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
IXS Trigger FF are really good as is the Stages.
Re the Fox proframe?
Unless they have REALLY redesigned them I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. I've seen too many of them implode in crashes.
X2 on the IXS Trigger FF. Been very happy with mine. I’d recommend sizing up with it though.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I've got a M/L TLD Stage. Never been used. Just didn't fit. IDK, maybe my face got fat? Cuz that's the size I use for all the other helmets.

You want?

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I've got a M/L TLD Stage. Never been used. Just didn't fit. IDK, maybe my face got fat? Cuz that's the size I use for all the other helmets.

You want?
I'm 56cm melon diameter so at the end of the XS/S range, but I usually wear a medium in Bell/Smith. Do you reckon it fits smaller or bigger than usual ?

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I have this. Absolutely featherweight, totally saved my teeth in Mexico.
On sale for about $150.
POCs are usually a bit tight on my forefront, but I've worn my Trabec and did not notice it much before I got another brand. Unfortunately, in Canuckistan it's 350$cdn and I haven't seen on sale anywhere this side of the border.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I'm 56cm melon diameter so at the end of the XS/S range, but I usually wear a medium in Bell/Smith. Do you reckon it fits smaller or bigger than usual ?
It fits smaller. Hence the reason I'm not using it. I bought an L/XL or whatever the next size up is (which has never been a problem for me w/ TLD's helmets). They do give you extra cheek pads in different sizes to help customize the fit, but really, the shell was just too small. It just didn't fit and I didn't return it. Heavy sigh...

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Good call on skipping the Smith Mainline if you really don't want a creaky helmet. IMO, the main reason not to get it is that you pretty much need goggles with this helmet, which will suck for trailriding. The frame of my Oakley Sutro were hitting the helmet really bad and there was no way for me to ride like that...so I bought goggles.

Despite all that, I really love mine and I have zero regret purchasing it.

When you talk about trail riding with a full-face, I guess you are thinking about SDM? I'd certainly like to have a FF on for some lines, but I certainly wouldn't want to climb Klondike with anything else than a half-shell. I know many people do it with a FF, but I suffer enough already climbing that mountain on a big bike... :D

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Yeah mostly the double-blacks at SDM and the Neilsons at VBN, where I had two stupid crashes almost standing still that could have gone very wrong. And I ride those areas by myself 95% of the time, so even if I now carry a Zoleo at VBN, wearing a full face would add a bit of security. I've been doing it for 10 years, but I guess I'm getting even older! :close:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I bought the Stage after I broke my face and a tooth riding our "XC trails", but I have yet to wear it. :busted: I ride in a Dropframe quite a bit in cool weather, I shall find the courage to wear the Stage as well.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Yeah the hardest thing of that move is going past the "looks like a newbie wearing a fullface" idea. I don't care much about what others think so it should be alright.

@TLD Stage wearers, I'Ve read a few people annoyed by the pads covering up the ears, do you feel that too?

I remember once riding with a friend in a sketchy rocky area and telling him to watch out when we go back down because the rocks were loose. First thing I knew I crashed face first into those rocks and I don't remember how it happened, but I asked him right away " do I still have a face?!". It was fine, but I was super lucky.

Another time (@FlipSide will know) I was on top of SDM waiting for people to go and a girl crashed face first on the rocks just past the wooden platform. When she got up, she was hiding her mouth and even if we insisted, she never wanted to show us where the blood was coming from (she didn't want to know). She was wearing a half-lid and a full face would have probably saved the day.

Anyway, thanks all for the suggestions, it seems like the Stage will be worth trying.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Yeah, I've split my face open on what was really just an unlucky gnarly crash. Face first into a giant rock. Not cool. It was a techy XC trail. Not even a bike park or DH track. And of course I was really pushing the speed. Cuz fun.

I know a woman who actually sliced her nose off from her half lid visor sliding down in a crash.

I could go on and on. Yet I still only wear a full face when it's bike parky/DH.

I have only respect for those who wear a full face on the local trails. From talking to them, they experienced something really bad. And they never want that again.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Man I have a big nose and a short tongue. I tried those tongue pushups workouts but I had to use a wood block so it's not going to work in the trails. Would nose pushups help @kidwoo ?

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
@TLD Stage wearers, I'Ve read a few people annoyed by the pads covering up the ears, do you feel that too?
I feel like I need to pull the helmet on and then shift it around so my ears pop into the gap in pads that is meant for the ears--but once it's on I have no problems with how it fits as far as my ears.

Whoever said it fits tight at the cheeks is right--it fits me really well, but if you had a wider face or bigger cheeks I could see it being tight. That said, you can swap out the cheek pads to get the fit you want so this shouldn't be an issue for "most".

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I'm on my second Stage (tossed the first after I took a slow header OTB into a tree). I don't wear it as often as I should, but that's mostly just down to my (probably misguided) thinking that I ride within my limits.

In terms of fit comparison, the XL Stage fits my 59-60cm gourd well with the thicker pads. I can't wear POC helmets because I'm in between their Medium and Larges (M I can't even get on, L my head swims in). Stage is a bit wider / more round than the last Bell I had (I think Super 2R). I think a smidge smaller than Leatt XL Enduro I had a few years ago - that had similar shape but I had to run the ratchet full tight.

Being realistic about my full face usage (or lack thereof), my next FF will probably be something a bit burlier than the Stage. I'll probably try on the Leatt Gravity 4 & 8, and the Giro Insurgent Spherical which are a bit heavier but should have a bit better protection.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Yeah, depends.

Up here when you "get high as Colorado" ( a little Milky Chance song reference https://youtu.be/7asb7B3cH-o) I've never really experience my goggles fogging up on proper DH trails unless bad weather or what not.

Then my first day in Whistler, while stopping for bears on an elevated ladder/bridge, and my goggles got immediately fogged up...I was like WTF?! Turns out Whistler isn't actually that "high" :)

For me wearing contacts, goggles are key. Depending on speed and humidity, as I've learned. And it has taken me a while to learn that.

And FF and sunglasses are kinda funny looking. But do serve a purpose. Is that "in style" these days? Cuz I kinda rock it when I feel the need. You know....cuz exploding face syndrome.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Update : so the Leatt Gravity 4.0 is too tight at the cheeks/jaw and there is no way I could wear this for a few hours. Anyone know if Leatt sell thinner cheek pads for this helmet? The additionnal ones that come i the box are even thicker.

Might try the Stage next, but it's also know to be tight at the cheeks/jaw. Still searching...

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Damn! I've ordered a TLD D4 and a Stage, we'll see how the Stage fits but I felt at home right away in the D4.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I guess so, I don't think that I have a particularly wide face si it should be fine. The D4 wasn't too bad on the cheeks and I could buy thinner pads if I need so. We'll see!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Damn! I've ordered a TLD D4 and a Stage, we'll see how the Stage fits but I felt at home right away in the D4.
Bumping this up.

I just got a carbon D4 and I swear I've had xc lids that were heavier. It's kind of astounding how little mass is in these things.....the point where the amount of padding is actually a little suspect. Not so sold on the MIPS thing taking up the space where padding would otherwise be. But if you want a light fullface that's a real fullface, this has got to be among the lightest. No shit, the box weighs more....

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Bumping this up.

I just got a carbon D4 and I swear I've had xc lids that were heavier. It's kind of astounding how little mass is in these things.....the point where the amount of padding is actually a little suspect. No so sold on the MIPS thing taking up the space where padding would otherwise be. But if you want a light fullface that's a real fullface, this has got to be among the lightest. No shit, the box weighs more....
Either you have a tiny head or you had heavy XC helmets. ;)
It was 1200+ g in an adult size (L) on a scale in the bike shop, that is average.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It was 1200+ g in an adult size (L) on a scale in the bike shop, that is average.
It's a large and you should weigh it again. And quit being so condescending while being so monumentally ignorant. There's a pretty high liklihood I've owned way more fullface and xc helmets than you. Because I break them.

idiot2.JPG

1200 is the non-carbon ones

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
It's a large and you should weigh it again. And quit being so condescending while being so monumentally ignorant. There's a pretty high liklihood I've owned way more fullface and xc helmets than you. Because I break them.

View attachment 188804

1200 is the non-carbon ones
Not arguing that you owned more helmets than I did.
I did weigh a composite D4 at the same time, it was 130-ish grams more. Why I remember this? Because Pinkbike had a test claiming their D4 in L came in under 1000 g, which got me interested. So you can imagine my disappointment and I didn't buy it. Maybe batch to batch variation? Can you throw yours on a scale?