Quantcast

Full Fingered DH Gloves

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
How about some full fingered DH gloves? What is everyone using? Is there a certain king to stay away from? Like fingers wear out or velcro doesn't last? I like the kind with the bubble on the knuckles, but am not married to them. I need something though, all I'm wearing now is some half fingered XC gloves that offer no protection. :brow:

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
i picked up a pair of Thor motocross gloves at a motorcycle shop which have been super durable. I had been using a variety of Fox Racing gloves, but sometimes the stitching wouldn't last and I'd only get 1-2 rides out of them before I'd have to repair them. I've never tried the Troy Lee Design gloves. They might be pretty durable as well.

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
I've just been using my XC full fingered gloves for DH but they kinda suck. Biggest problem is that they get all stretched out after 3 or 4 runs and that in turn causes blisters.

That'll be one thing I'll invest some time and effort in over the winter...some decent DH gloves. I'll probably look into moto gloves like Moshee.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I have really small hands and have had good luck with AXO Decends (I have some Z & XS). I use them for DH & XC. I also have some Fox gloves in size small that are a little big, but work.

I have a pair of AXO Storm gloves for winter riding and they are AWESOME!

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
my advice is that anyone riding with half fingered gloves, even for xc, should definitely consider switching to full fingered...mainly because in the event of a wreck...in most cases, you hands are the first thing to touch the ground...and the halfies aren't going to cut it....

that being said...I had some 661 gloves with velcro and rubber pieces over each finger...the velcro lasted a long time, but the piece of material on top of the velcro part that straps to the main part separated and became annoying...the rubber pieces were cool...my problem is my fingers on the palm side of the glove always wear out quickly...but this could be due to all the trail maintenance I do in them...garden gloves would probably be cheaper and smarter to wear, but who said I was smart...

my newest gloves are a pair of Sombrio's...they have no rubber and no velcro...they just pull on and stay there...these by far are the best fitting and most comfortable gloves I've had so far...:banana:

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
my advice is that anyone riding with half fingered gloves, even for xc, should definitely consider switching to full fingered...mainly because in the event of a wreck...in most cases, you hands are the first thing to touch the ground...and the halfies aren't going to cut it....
I definitely agree, full-fingered all the way. I've been running full-fingered forever because I never could find a pair of half-fingered that fit well but it turned out to be a good thing because they have saved my knuckles plenty of times. Even in the Texas summers the extra heat of a full-fingered doesn't seem to be an issue. In fact, having full finger may be advantageous in the summer because you don't have to worry about slipping your grip due to your fingers being soaked in sweat.
My old favorites were Rocket Parts GTO but no one seems to cary those any more.

The prolem with gloves is that they seem to be so inconsistent in their workmanship even across the same line. My current pair of Fox Dirt Paws have held up pretty well but Mohshee blew the stitching out of hers within a few rides.

SuperKat

Monkey
Jul 3, 2005
New York
FOX. Great gloves and I mean the whole line of 'em. Right now I have a pair with carbon fiber on the knuckles. Is that the bubble you mean?

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
I also have Thor and Fox gloves that I love. I got a new pair of Fox gloves with the carbon fiber bubble on the outside knuckles, which are really nice. No problems for me with either brand wearing out.

And I also only wear full fingered gloves for any sort of riding.

(Thor also makes fantastic vented jerseys that work really well for DH riding).

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
Well I went with the AXO's and they are comfy! Unfortunately I ordered the wrong size so they needed to go back, but will get the right size soon.

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
The Dainese Gloves are great. They are super durable and really comfortable.
Which model are you using? I've tried on the ones with the carbon knuckles and the fit is really different than other brands - you'd have to have super short fingers and wide hands to have them fit right. My husband has really wide hands and they're loose but short even on him. I could literally fit both my hands in one of the mediums (but the fingers were still a little too short), and a medium in any other brand (mens) fits... well, like a glove.

Possibly the other models fit differently though.