Quantcast

Funky chain length problem...or not...?

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
:confused: I'm building up an old hardtail for night duty, and came across an interesting dilemma...or maybe not so interesting: I run a bash guard, and do not have the old chain, or the big ring for length measurements. Can I get a correct chain length measurement by winding it around middle ring and largest in back (plus two links). Right now there is way too much slop in the chain, but I don't want to keep ripping it apart to remove links one at a time (I know, I know...Sram P-Link next time!). Any help would be great. Thanks.:confused:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by VTinCT
:confused: I'm building up an old hardtail for night duty, and came across an interesting dilemma...or maybe not so interesting: I run a bash guard, and do not have the old chain, or the big ring for length measurements. Can I get a correct chain length measurement by winding it around middle ring and largest in back (plus two links). Right now there is way too much slop in the chain, but I don't want to keep ripping it apart to remove links one at a time (I know, I know...Sram P-Link next time!). Any help would be great. Thanks.:confused:
What I do is put the front derailleur in the granny, and the smallest rear cog. Then pull the chain till the rear derailleur moves about an 1". Done:D