Quantcast

Funn bar questions

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
I'm after some new low rise bars, the Funn ones seem to be the easiest to get and the best value. Looking at the website, both the Full On and the Fatboy are the same rise, sweep and width, the only difference is the bar clamps 25.4 and 31.8mm respectively. I would have thought that the standard clamp/Full On would be lighter, but the site tells me that it's actually 18g heavier than the oversize version.

Given that my stem will work with both (E13, so it uses a spacer with the smaller bars), what setup would be lighter overall? I find it hard to beleive that the oversize bars could be lighter...

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Your thoughts on weight are consistent with my experience; 31.8 is heavier than 25.4. Probably just a typo on the website.

That being said, I would recommend going 31.8. I have the e13 stem setup with 31.8 bars and it is noticeably stiffer than a 25.4 setup.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
I would go with the fatboy and either the e13 stem, or the funn stem. I have the funn stem and got ahold of ti bolts which made it lighter than the e-13 stem(aluminum bolts come stock)

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
Welllll... I just checked BTI's website, and they have the Full-On bars (25.4) listed at 295 grams, while the Fatboy bars (31.8) are 329 grams. Confusing, eh?
Those weights are for the 2" rise ones... i'm after the lower 30mm rise ones.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
Welllll... I just checked BTI's website, and they have the Full-On bars (25.4) listed at 295 grams, while the Fatboy bars (31.8) are 329 grams. Confusing, eh?
I think in quality they have the low rise 31.8 and they're in the 275 gram range. I actually weighed them and I can't remember what it was, i'm guessing it was close enough for me not to care about the difference.

shagwell

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
I would go with the fatboy and either the e13 stem, or the funn stem. I have the funn stem and got ahold of ti bolts which made it lighter than the e-13 stem(aluminum bolts come stock)
sorry to derail, just wondered if you could tell me what the rise is on the funn stem? eg from the lowest point of the bars to the crown in mm. i'm after something quite a bit lower than the e13 ive got at the minute.

cheers!

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
I see it being a possibility that the 31.8 bars could be lighter. That being said I have never had the two in front of me and weighed them but I have noticed the weight difference on the site. I could see with the additional surface area and diameter of the bar they could use slightly more thin tubes making the 31.8 lighter.

With the e.thirteen stem and 25.4 bars you have to run the spacers. I am not sure what the spacers weigh but the difference is probably more than the difference in the bars. So if you ran the 31.8 Funn bar with the e.thirteen stem it would probably be the lighter set up.

With that said, I use the 25.4 Funn Full On. I dont think that having a stiffer bar set up is necessarily the way to go.

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
i have a strange feeling that sam hill was or is runing the full on and there for the the 25.4 clamp, i assume that would be because its lighter i cant think why else unless he likes it to have slightly more flex or if the fun stem sizes have a bit of a weight difference between them.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
How about some of the new Easton HAVOC bars? 711mm wide, Mid-Rise and...

291g for the 25.4
295g for the 31.8
Dammit Easton finally make a 710mm< wide bar and they're not doing it in their uber-sweet Lo-Rise height.... grrr.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
sorry to derail, just wondered if you could tell me what the rise is on the funn stem? eg from the lowest point of the bars to the crown in mm. i'm after something quite a bit lower than the e13 ive got at the minute.

cheers!
12mm.

Juano

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
my hi-use
I'm after some new low rise bars, the Funn ones seem to be the easiest to get and the best value. Looking at the website, both the Full On and the Fatboy are the same rise, sweep and width, the only difference is the bar clamps 25.4 and 31.8mm respectively. I would have thought that the standard clamp/Full On would be lighter, but the site tells me that it's actually 18g heavier than the oversize version.

Given that my stem will work with both (E13, so it uses a spacer with the smaller bars), what setup would be lighter overall? I find it hard to beleive that the oversize bars could be lighter...
The BTI catalog says that the
fat boy's are 329g
full on's are 295g plus the you have to use the shims for the stem.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Eason is slow to update their page, they look like this though
290g for 25.4 , 295g for 31.8 (claimed weights)
Mid rise only
Black Ano
short peen finish for maximum strength

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
I searched on google for the Havoc bar. Its not available anywhere yet. Only thing that came up were Havoc stems and seatposts.

Dan

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Eason is slow to update their page, they look like this though
290g for 25.4 , 295g for 31.8 (claimed weights)
Mid rise only
Black Ano
short peen finish for maximum strength
Why are they 50 grams heavier then an ea70? Surely 1inch of alloy does not weigh 50 grams. Sounds more like an ea50 then ea70.

Bunch of idiots, why can't they just make all the bars a bit longer so people can cut them down instead of coming up with some new bar. Now, that would be an idea :lighten:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I'm after some lowrise bars myself. I like the protaper bend, but I am looking for a 1" rise bar in 710 width. I know Truvativ makes a 1" rise bar with very similar bends. However I cannot find anyone online that has them in stock. How are the 710, 1" rise Funn bends compared to Truvativ or Protapers? I like a realitively flat grip area.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
I spoke to the Easton rep today, he's in the dark about the new bars (the America-> Australia release takes ages. At the moment i'm leaning towards the full-on bars based on the price.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Mid-rise in easton bars is 1.5" to my knowledge, and Low rise is 1". Why they don't rate them in a tangible figure is FAR beyond me.

So the funn bar at 30mm rise (1.18") is a reasonable amount lower than the havoc, and at about the same weight, it's probably the way to go - assuming it is adequately strong.

I too feel the weight penalty (for both bars) is too high for a marginally wider bar though - either they are using EA50 in the havoc or just an excess of material (perhaps the extra leverage over the centre requires it?).

I weighed my EA70 lowrise 685mm at 232g, so it's a bit of a jump :(

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I'm after some lowrise bars myself. I like the protaper bend, but I am looking for a 1" rise bar in 710 width. I know Truvativ makes a 1" rise bar with very similar bends. However I cannot find anyone online that has them in stock. How are the 710, 1" rise Funn bends compared to Truvativ or Protapers? I like a realitively flat grip area.
I think the 1" truvativs are vaporware. I tried to find some early last spring with no luck. No wholesale distr had them, and no retailers had them either..

My requirements were < 300g atleast 710mm wide and 1.5" at the MOST. The Funn were the best combo that I could find. They were 290g, ~711mm wide along a straight line (more like 720 along the bend, and they are lower than the 30mm would suggest. I think they hit 30mm at the bar end, certainly not a 30mm rise in the middle.

I had been running azonics for a while (only thing I could find in 710mm) and the Funns definately have less sweep (sorry I have not run pro-tapers for a while due to their short-commings). I definately like them...they want to put you in an 'elbows out' kind of position (look @ S.Hill). They feel fairly flat as well (not much upsweep) but that is adjustable via bar tilt...

Overall a great bar especially for the $$. I would definately like to see a high end and very light build (ea 70) in a 30" length to play around with lengths. But for now The Funn will be run!

Eurotrash

Monkey
Mar 2, 2002
the French distributor has the Havoc Bars in stock, if they are over here, I'm sure they must be available in the states!
I don't see what the advantage over the EA70 is, they are 20% more expensive, it cant be le 25mm extra that make them that much more expensive!

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
also the Funn 25.4 direct mount stem is lighter and lower
than the Funn 31.8 direct mount stem