Quantcast

Funny chase/takedown from the bike yesterday...

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
**for the noobs to RM...i'm a cop in the projects and i ride a bike a good part of the time**

so i'm cruising through one of my most problematic projects yesterday evening about 730pm when my partner and i see two guys walking beside a residential building. nothing was very suspicious about these two until they ducked in behind the building when they saw us looking at them. so i tell my partner to go around to the left while i approach from the right. i come up on the pair and one of the guys starts walking away faster. i tell him to stop just as my partner comes around the corner of the building in front of him. the dude bolts down the hill. we give chase for about 50 yards and, just as he's about to scale a wall to get away from us, i cut him off.
now here's the funny part. there is no "safe" way to do a takedown from a bike. most of the "experts" in the field of police biking won't endorse any particular method because of the inherent risk involved. so i made up my own yesterday that worked pretty well. i'll normally pull up beside the runner and just grab him and let him break my fall as i ditch the bike but yesterday was different.
due to the wall on the right side, my only option was to ram him from the back. i managed to shove my front tire in between his legs while simultaneously grabbing his shoulder and pulling him back toward my handlebar. this motion caused him to fall, butt first onto my tire but, because i was holding him by the shoulder, he didn't fall to the ground; he just sat on my tire as if it were a chair. his jeans made an awful buzzing noise as my Kenda Kiniption tires rubbed a hole in them as we slowed down.
he then just fell to the ground face down and was handcuffed. the best part was that all of the local kids were playing football in the courtyard area and they all started laughing at the dude, especially when they saw the huge rip in his pants from my tire. the good thing is that no one got hurt and he was holding quite a bit of crack in his pocket. oh yeah, he had just been released from jail that morning and still had his probation officers card in his pocket :nopity:
when he got to the jail word had already spread because an inmate was leaving the jail and said, "damn son, you shouldn't run from the biker boys with them saggy pants!" :rofl: that made my night.

so anyway, i thought you :monkey:'s would enjoy a little bike related street humor :D

sorry no pictures of the event....unless i can convince the 2 dudes who were filming the entire event with their cell phones to hand over the vids :rolleyes:

but i will, for the hell of it, throw up an old pic of me dorking around on third shift ;)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
manimal rules! you have some of the best/funniest stories!

One tactic I think would be cool for a takedown... get a bunch of speed and as you're coming up on someone, stand up on your top tube / seat (keep holding yer handles bars derr). As you get closer, leap off the bike and tackle him! Pounce on him like a cat or a spider monkey or some sh*t! Let the bike ghost ride! Manimal can you try this???? :D

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Awsome. Seems like you could take the video for "evidence".....

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
sorry, no taser. it's really hard to get it out when i'm riding and i prefer to not tase someone when they're running on pavement just for a drug charge. i hate criminals but i don't think running from the police just to get away 'cause you're holding some crack is worth breaking your face over. taser + running + pavement = ouch. i try and save it for those who think fighting the police is a good idea ;)

jonkranked - i'll give that a try, will let you know how it turns out ;)

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I'm surprised Kenda's had the grip to rip his pants!

Seriously though, you need a helmet cam and we need to see the footage before you present it as evidence!

S.n.a.k.e.

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
N. Tonawanda, NY
I just realized something.... you need to start carrying a bolo with you.

Hehe, I made one of those when I was a kid. 4 ft of rope with a 2 footer tied to the middle in a non slip knot. 3 socks filled with sand placed in leather pouches and tied to the rope ends.

My little brothers friends would ask what they were, and I'd say 'Bolos', now run. And then I'd show them how they worked. A solid hit anywhere on the legs brought anyone down. Of course sometimes you hit too high, and one (or more) of the socks would hit them in the stomach or back which felt much like a good punch (or so I was told).

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
modern bolo

and it's less like a punch to the stomach and more like a mix of the ghost of bruce lee and that powder kid kicking the ever living crap out of you :D

i'd post the vid of my taser "exposure" but my department doesn't want them on youtube.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Manimal,

Sorry to bring this up in your thread about a righteous bust.

I was watching some protestor footage from the RNC. I saw one fat chick standing by a line of bike cops as she was getting pepper sprayed.

I thought it was interesting how they herded her, and they would pick up their front wheels to control her.

Of course, she could of just dispersed before she got sprayed.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
what, & let her menstruate all over the place? the term 'red-state' is a metaphor

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
crowd control with bikes is pretty effective. we've actually formed a line and thrown our bikes a few feet in front of us into the crowd to push them back. people are really afraid of airborne bikes for some reason ;)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I've done it in jest at the bike shop, not as part of crowd control.

I better get my garbage-can-lid shield ready for the next protest I attend.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
From your description of the take-down technique, it sounds an awful lot like bulldogging steer except you're cuffing hands instead of roping together feet. What your bike needs are those Ben-Hur charriot hub switchblades...that or a thermite compound tire.