Quantcast

Future Of Geometry? Grim F@#$IN DONUT

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Ya know, fuck it. If they're not recoverable they're done anyway.

I live in the covid states of america which is about to get real ugly once people start staying inside with heaters. I'll start digging through that shit in our shoulder season. It will really help me talk shit to gary I think. So it's worth doing.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Ya know, fuck it. If they're not recoverable they're done anyway.

I live in the covid states of america which is about to get real ugly once people start staying inside with heaters. I'll start digging through that shit in our shoulder season. It will really help me talk shit to gary I think. So it's worth doing.
Littermag features!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Hey gary: do you have any actual pictures of you riding dirt jumps?

serious question. I'm doubting your cred bro. ;)
I don't. I never even owned a phone back then and haven't ever owned a camera. Someone else might tho.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Paul Aston’s bike should probably be mentioned in this thread somewhere. He’s already ahead of Yoann’s higher bb height wishes with 367mm.

Is @HAB the only guy here on futuristic geo? Anyone else?
I mean I'm at a 1330+ wheelbase, sub 63 head angle and 13.6" bb height, and have seat angle that is more or less functional for up down and everything in between and have 170mm-180mm travel. I kinda just feel that bike proportionality is finally improving for taller folks.

Otherwise aren't we essentially just talking about length with all this future stuff? With trail building headed off the way it has between parks and IMBA, longer bikes aren't all that surprising since you don't need to turn much if the trails are buff, banked, and straight line.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Paul Aston’s bike should probably be mentioned in this thread somewhere. He’s already ahead of Yoann’s higher bb height wishes with 367mm.

Is @HAB the only guy here on futuristic geo? Anyone else?
Paul's setup is... interesting.

I like my G16 a lot, but I'm not really on board with a lot of what he's doing setup wise. To each their own, etc, but... huh.

At least two people have bought one after bouncing around on mine. Kazimer also took it for a parking lot spin once and concluded that I'm a lunatic. :rofl:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
"Interesting" article about Nicolai / Geometron owners
:pilot:

Sorry for being a troll!:pleasantry:

Personally I don't get along well with the super long bikes. I find them difficult to bring along when riding slowish and twitchy stuff and they require loads of commitment to feel playful. Stability at speed is really good if beating the clock is your thing...
That being said my current trail bike is longer than my DH bike from 10 years ago so that longer has definitively some advantages. I just feel that it can get too long once you start to need a super high bb to be able to lift the front wheel off the ground and once weight transfers take more time than one can physically do.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Strava definitely has a road biker slant... so... no big surprise there ;)
Beat me to it. Safe to assume the reason DH KOMs are being set by XC guys is because they're the guys using Strava.

With the amount of GPS devices/apps out there to track your rides I'm surprised Strava still has any appeal. Always seemed to me as more of an online wiener-measuring contest than anything else. Ya know, the faster you can ride a trail the bigger your wiener is.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Beat me to it. Safe to assume the reason DH KOMs are being set by XC guys is because they're the guys using Strava.

With the amount of GPS devices/apps out there to track your rides I'm surprised Strava still has any appeal. Always seemed to me as more of an online wiener-measuring contest than anything else. Ya know, the faster you can ride a trail the bigger your wiener is.
Not here, but the top riders are usually fit. Also, one of, if not the fastest DH rider, consistently ends up in the hospital.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Not here, but the top riders are usually fit. Also, one of, if not the fastest DH rider, consistently ends up in the hospital.
I resemble this remark a ‘tiny’ bit. The terrain here dictates who has Strava trophies. The top XC guys rule on XC ish trails, and the DH/Enduro guys rule on the more rowdy Trails (Teton Pass, big gnarly backcountry descents, etc). My top ten trophies are all on the rowdy trails, I can’t keep up if there is too much pedally stuff...:rolleyes:

That being said, Strava is trying to kill me.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Yes, that was me on the ebike with the fanny pack, just don’t tell Woo.

Back to neo-geo, I had 462mm stays on that thing. I’ve never ridden a bike that long before that.
. View attachment 149871

Side note: It was too dark to continue along the ridge so I got to freeride down the left of us in this pic. The gravel was perfect and you could ride anywhere, pop rollers and carve like the Kamloops gravel pit. I’ve never done that before. It was one of the coolest parts of the trip. Pila down to Aosta was where I finished off my back wheel. Aosta is such a amazing spot. I’d like to go back there before the snow.
If you ever get the chance try riding volcanic ash. It's stupid fun and u can crash on it without any real consequences. The only problem is walking up.

On an unrelated now - what size of Scott Endurers are you running? Large Ransom felt huge. For some reason way bigger than Large Reign.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
If you ever get the chance try riding volcanic ash. It's stupid fun and u can crash on it without any real consequences. The only problem is walking up.

On an unrelated now - what size of Scott Endurers are you running? Large Ransom felt huge. For some reason way bigger than Large Reign.
Where‘s that? Sounds great.

Most of the time 27.5 wheels on a Large Ransom and sometimes a medium but the medium feels unstable when I get going faster.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Paul's setup is... interesting.

I like my G16 a lot, but I'm not really on board with a lot of what he's doing setup wise. To each their own, etc, but... huh.

At least two people have bought one after bouncing around on mine. Kazimer also took it for a parking lot spin once and concluded that I'm a lunatic. :rofl:
Yeah, very interesting. Haha. I had a sensory overload just sitting on it but was super curious about how it would ride. He brought it over one day and I sat on it for a few minutes. Those huge pedals were throwing me off the most. I’m not used to having my whole heel on the pedal. I kept thinking of a Harley Davidson with floorboards.

Every single part of the bike was foreign to me but he had a reason that made sense more or less. The 12* backsweep bars and Ergon grips with the short stem make it feel much shorter than you’d think it’d be.

The trails where he lives in Italy are amazing and very rocky with endless possibilities. I can see how he evolved into this, kind of. Anyways, it’s out there and I like seeing people’s setups.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
After I got used to it I really liked it. I’m surprised and put my Gambler in long CS for tomorrow. I rarely run the long hole but my DH bike felt unstable after riding that Ransom eRide, haha.
Let us know when you got some more time on it

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
And FWIW I didn't imagine you'd go from a stance of FUCK wearing tight fitting clothes in a cycle sport where 80% of your effort goes into fighting against wind resistance to professing joining a sweaty members only club full of barely bressed buff guys flexing and grunting infront of mirrors.

How far/often do you actually ride that roadbike of yours in your dickies? I'm guessing not too far or often but bravo if you genuinely do smash out high mileage in your workwear.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
if you can't push high speed and high rpms, without the lycra and clips, maybe you should hit the gym a little more...

(edit: fwiw, i certainly never expected you to go from professing that it about the rider over equipment, to equipment over rider in the course of one thread...)
And FWIW I didn't imagine you'd go from a stance of FUCK wearing tight fitting clothes in a cycle sport where 80% of your effort goes into fighting against wind resistance to professing joining a sweaty members only club full of barely bressed buff guys flexing and grunting infront of mirrors.

How far/often do you actually ride that roadbike of yours in your dickies? I'm guessing not too far or often but bravo if you genuinely do smash out high mileage in your workwear.
1600720377834.png

my main end goal isn't trying to get to the end and brag about how many seconds i may have won or lost by. and yes straight up fuck lycra and clip shoes. too bad you lack the sense to differentiate between "fuck lycra" and "fuck people who wear lycra". feel free to continue your butthurt...
since you wanna see my penis, i ride it monday, wed, and fridays regulary to work and back on a 22mile one way commute. i don't claim to be the fastest, but i promise you that you won't drop me...