Quantcast

fyvayem Tuesderp

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
uh, because really expensive, pain to install, likely horrible handling as they're 400 lb per corner, and 40 mph limit?

Sorry that was a joke. Snow=death in some places. In others, it’s not much different than rain. People in eastern ma have no idea how to handle moderate amounts of snow, and want the big car with huge ground clearance for getting milk and bread. People who live where it snows can make it through a blizzard in a Miata

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Sorry that was a joke. Snow=death in some places. In others, it’s not much different than rain. People in eastern ma have no idea how to handle moderate amounts of snow, and want the big car with huge ground clearance for getting milk and bread. People who live where it snows can make it through a blizzard in a Miata
This. I have had family from non-snow places ask, with legitimate concern, how I'm going to get to the mtns now that I don't have an SUV. I have a raised Audi with Quattro and 6" of ground clearance on snow tires. I'm good. I'd be more concerned about the rental Tahoe's getting high centered because SUV! than me getting stuck.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Been waffling on the genesis purchase. Gas prices are on the rise and no version of the car (least of all the big daddy v8) is gas efficient. COVID is apparently putting the squeeze on Jimmy Exxon. A little nervous about RWD in New England as well, but it snows 3x a year out here in Boston. Easy enough to avoid the snow and the car would get snow tires, but still...
Isn't every other car in New England already a Subaru? No will will notice if you get one too... "Subaru, the kind of ugly people line up for"

If you are considering the GV80, take a hard look at the styling - it's a miss-mash of cues copied from other brands. To me it looks like a Cadillac grill slapped on Nissan Rogue that's trying to be a BMW but it can't because it has an Audi hood line topped off with and Aston Martin emblem that screams brand dysphoria. With no unique brand ques of it's own, it's likely to become dated sooner than later, especially if demand is low and resale value tanks. Still, Car & Driver named it a 10 Best so it's as least as good as a Pacer.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Colorado, winter 1980, any ski resort parking lot - AMC Eagle, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Volkswagen Beetle, Subaru GL Wagon.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
In some cases you need clearance. And snow tires. And AWD/4WD.

March 14 of this year. 32" Nokians so by the end of my driveway that's a solid 16" out there. There were multiple vehicles stuck as I drove into the hospital, but I had no issues at all.

This. I have had family from non-snow places ask, with legitimate concern, how I'm going to get to the mtns now that I don't have an SUV. I have a raised Audi with Quattro and 6" of ground clearance on snow tires. I'm good. I'd be more concerned about the rental Tahoe's getting high centered because SUV! than me getting stuck.
The rental Tahoes all have all seasons on them, so better than a FWD rental on bald all-seasons, I guess.

Colorado, winter 1980, any ski resort parking lot - AMC Eagle, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Volkswagen Beetle, Subaru GL Wagon.
Would have been a Grand Wagoneer at that point. Grand Cherokee was 1993, iirc.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Is Audi still faithful to full-time AWD? It seemed like some of the newer systems were becoming haldex-centered FWD cars with rear tires that spin, and less of the old-school "No less than two tires are spinning at any one time" sort of system.

My Rav4 was terrible in the snow- basically FWD with rear tires that had something like 20hp. Just enough to get you out of a snowbank, not enough to steer with.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Isn't every other car in New England already a Subaru? No will will notice if you get one too... "Subaru, the kind of ugly people line up for"

If you are considering the GV80, take a hard look at the styling - it's a miss-mash of cues copied from other brands. To me it looks like a Cadillac grill slapped on Nissan Rogue that's trying to be a BMW but it can't because it has an Audi hood line topped off with and Aston Martin emblem that screams brand dysphoria. With no unique brand ques of it's own, it's likely to become dated sooner than later, especially if demand is low and resale value tanks. Still, Car & Driver named it a 10 Best so it's as least as good as a Pacer.
The car I'm looking at is a previous-gen G80. It was actually marketed under the Hyundai badge as a "Hyundai Genesis" for two years before it became a Genesis G80 for two or three years. Then they revised it and now it matches the GV70/80 and G90. I think the G70 also got a facelift. I like it because Hyundai was trying to make an awesome car, and by all accounts they succeeded:

The biggest problem is that the car is a TANK, super heavy, so gas mileage is mediocre with any engine. Resale value tanked because of the Hyundai badge, but prices have stabilized around the 25k mark. This is the one I am specifically looking at:

And yes, it can take a class 2 trailer hitch.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
The car I'm looking at is a previous-gen G80. It was actually marketed under the Hyundai badge as a "Hyundai Genesis" for two years before it became a Genesis G80 for two or three years. Then they revised it and now it matches the GV70/80 and G90. I think the G70 also got a facelift. I like it because Hyundai was trying to make an awesome car, and by all accounts they succeeded:

The biggest problem is that the car is a TANK, super heavy, so gas mileage is mediocre with any engine. Resale value tanked because of the Hyundai badge, but prices have stabilized around the 25k mark. This is the one I am specifically looking at:

I have little constructive to add, other than someone really should have cleaned the grime off of the interior before taking those pictures.

Screenshot_20211012-140905_Chrome.jpg

Buy what you want. Will it be more expensive to run? Yes. But you'll (hopefully) enjoy driving it. More smiles per gallon.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
In some cases you need clearance. And snow tires. And AWD/4WD.

March 14 of this year. 32" Nokians so by the end of my driveway that's a solid 16" out there. There were multiple vehicles stuck as I drove into the hospital, but I had no issues at all.

The rental Tahoes all have all seasons on them, so better than a FWD rental on bald all-seasons, I guess.

Would have been a Grand Wagoneer at that point. Grand Cherokee was 1993, iirc.
Meh, the ones with fake wood side panels.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande

Oh, carry on then. If not you - looks like someone just bought it?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Is Audi still faithful to full-time AWD? It seemed like some of the newer systems were becoming haldex-centered FWD cars with rear tires that spin, and less of the old-school "No less than two tires are spinning at any one time" sort of system.

My Rav4 was terrible in the snow- basically FWD with rear tires that had something like 20hp. Just enough to get you out of a snowbank, not enough to steer with.
A4 is TorSen - true Quattro. Q and A3 are Haldex

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Nearly 10 hour drive home from Quebec City complete. Major annoying delay through Montreal, thanks to one stalled transport truck.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
technically yes. but sorry, they aren't called that. there are a few diff brands. gff had (has?) a set. it's for when ya get a nor'easta bub

View attachment 165924
I was running the american track truck brand since they were made from easily sourced snowmobile parts. The key to tracks was using the lightest vehicle with a manual trans and low end torque. An XJ was the best fit and was able to run the biggest version they made which in turn related to powder flotation.