Quantcast

G-boxx's and Electronic Shifting

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up to let you know that my g-boxx project for DH racing has not died. Quite the opposite in fact. We have built up 2 fresh frames based of the first generation design and we are currently testing them here in socal and across the pond in the UK. The most recent updates include a bit of extra machining to cut excess weight, a new and much beefier easton downtube and top-tube and the addition of shot peening to help with the fatigue life. Check out some pics of the most recent build here:

On to the exciting news. I have teamed up with Spooky bikes and their infamous ringleader, Mickey to bring you guys the sickest, fastest and most trick next generation of downhill bikes available to the public. Think electronic shifting (yay no grip-shifter!!), tuned suspensions and dedicated g-boxx componentry. Think corners on rails better than anything you've ridden and plows through the rocks like its got limitless suspension. Think available to the public to tear up their own local tracks in limited quantities.

Shout with comments and questions. I know you've got em!

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Are you running a Nicolai GBoxx fixie hub in the rear or a freewheel ? I wonder how is it having chain permanently spinning even when you're not pedalling. In the 2nd case I wonder how quickly 2 freewheels could engage.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
HaveFaith, correct me if I am wrong... but I see chain touching a part of the g-boxx's cover on the right side, just between the arm and front chainring...!?

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
Are you running a Nicolai GBoxx fixie hub in the rear or a freewheel ? I wonder how is it having chain permanently spinning even when you're not pedalling. In the 2nd case I wonder how quickly 2 freewheels could engage.
I think it is fixed, and I have run a constant chain before and you don't feel it. Actually it is better if anything for back pedalling is really easy.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
HaveFaith, correct me if I am wrong... but I see chain touching a part of the g-boxx's cover on the right side, just between the arm and front chainring...!?
I see that too. I was under the impression that this would be fixed as the bikes moved from pure proto to more finished design.

The welds look great and the frame is super clean. Will there be a floating brake option? What's the final weight? How much does the g-boxx alone cost? Is it awkward to pedal with the huge q-factor?

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
You are all correct that the chain touches the box. Since this uses the same machined bits as the very first 2 frames, it still has this small issue. We are still running a zip-tie over the box to act as a nice little guide plate for the chain so no damage is done to the box. This will be completely resolved in the next iteration of the design. We currently have the rear free-wheel fixed using zip-ties, but I have designed up a rear fixed hub that will be usable for both 135 and 150 spacing frames with no dish at all. Going to be stout for sure.

As for braking, we are working with DW to finalize the kinematics for using split pivot to help with braking performance. The large q-factor is not an issue at all, and is something that you really don't notice once you get into riding the bike. In fact, it's pretty confidence inducing in the rough and steep stuff.

The final pricing for a g-boxx unit for production frames has not been worked out with Universal Transmissions, as there are differences from proto quantities and up. That being said, the limited number of frames that are offered will be sold as "fuselage" packages that include suspension, gearbox/electronic shifting and rear hub.

Im really excited to start bringing the goods, as this first generation design has been so successful in testing and shakedown. I have no doubts that if you test ride the bikes, you will be looking where to send the deposit.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
im glad to see you are going into production!!

what is the q factor on a g-boxx?
and can you tell u s abit more about the electronic shifting?

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Thats awesome you are still working on this!

I met you last year at the Santa Ynez race in SoCal. Very clean and cool bike in person.

I was the guy on a Tomac.

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
Build weight as seen in the photos above is 42.5 lbs. Not a heavyweight by any means.

The electronic shifting is essentially two small soft touch buttons, either mounted together one one side, or one on each that drives commands to a micro-controller. The controller then commands a servo to shift the required amount, and pulls the accurate portion of cable to achieve the desired command. Should be able to get 3-4 shifts per second and would be shiftable under load, while stopped etc. The current proto will be driven off of small battery pack and will last enough for multiple full days of riding. Next gen is to pull minute amounts of power off of the always moving chain and store in a capacitor.

I dont have the q-factor off hand but I would say it is roughly 3/8 wider than most DH cranksets.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Holy crap. If that goes down, I would NEED to own it! :D

I love Spooky bikes already, but that would really convert me to a fanboy.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Build weight as seen in the photos above is 42.5 lbs. Not a heavyweight by any means.

The electronic shifting is essentially two small soft touch buttons, either mounted together one one side, or one on each that drives commands to a micro-controller. The controller then commands a servo to shift the required amount, and pulls the accurate portion of cable to achieve the desired command. Should be able to get 3-4 shifts per second and would be shiftable under load, while stopped etc. The current proto will be driven off of small battery pack and will last enough for multiple full days of riding. Next gen is to pull minute amounts of power off of the always moving chain and store in a capacitor.

I dont have the q-factor off hand but I would say it is roughly 3/8 wider than most DH cranksets.

I don't want to should like a douche but why do the g-boxx bike constructors allways give the complete bikes weight and not the frames? The bike is a sweet idea but if it will weight close to what the Nicolai contraptions do it won't be a spectacular hit when it hits the market.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Colin,
When you get the shifters ready to bench test, I think a video should be in order... Since it will retrofit to any UT box I could see a good little market for CG83 shifters.

I'm so excited to get some more proto's up and running. The time I've spent on the previous incarnation was fun as hell, and the feedback we've gotten from the UK has also been pretty damn stellar.

We are turning a few hubs, and machining parts for a few more protos to wail on over the fall and winter, and I'm hoping that Between CG's ass-busting work on shifters, and some of the other work going with Gconn boxes we might be getting closer to being able to offer some very fun, very reliable bikes!

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
I don't want to should like a douche but why do the g-boxx bike constructors allways give the complete bikes weight and not the frames? The bike is a sweet idea but if it will weight close to what the Nicolai contraptions do it won't be a spectacular hit when it hits the market.
Simply, because there is no direct comparison to a conventional style frame. I have weighed the frame with seat, headset, shock and all pivot hardware and it weighs 10.5 lbs. This is all solid alloy steel hardware, a steel coil spring, e-thirteen reducer headset and the sunline saddle.

However, wouldnt everyone be most interested in what the final weight is, with normal real-world parts? What does the frame weight matter if it has a drivetrain configuration that goes onto it that no one can relate to?

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
How about a second button on either side to dump three gears at a time? Should be a simple wiring setup or software programming...but then if you're coming into a tight turn or braking hard or something, you could dump three gears at once or six gears quickly instead of having to press the one button 3 or 6 times. I don't know how quick it'll work when it's finished, but sometimes it's great to be able to dump several gears, and I imagine that will be the ultimate accomplishment of an IG bike- being able to drop gears and setup perfectly for the exit of a turn, vs. having to shift and pedal and losing time.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Just curious, will the production frame feature the same integrated seat mast set up seen on the prototype, or a more conventional seat post?
We will be building "production" frames to order, so a seatmast or traditional seat-tube will both be available. The tube we will be using for the mast will have the appropriate internal diameter to take a 30.9 seatpost if you cut off the mast and slot the tube as well.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
We will be building "production" frames to order, so a seatmast or traditional seat-tube will both be available. The tube we will be using for the mast will have the appropriate internal diameter to take a 30.9 seatpost if you cut off the mast and slot the tube as well.
Very cool! This is going to be a truly ground breaking bike when released.

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
Usually g-boxx bikes have very low or pro-squat rates so they shouldn't pedal all that well, did you notice that trait on your design?
You are correct sir. Utilizing the single pivot location on the box, you are pretty much destined to have a pro-squat configuration, unless you really gear this sucker down (to an unusable level). That being said, the only time that I really notice this trait is when I am sitting down and pedaling up a fire road. The nice thing about being pro-squat is that the suspension remains active while you are pedaling so you dont lose any grip because of loss of compliance. This trait coupled with zero-chain growth and thus zero pedal kick and also a more rear-ward path than most bikes makes it destroy the rough choppy stuff. At this point I am more than happy to trade the anti-squat for having a completely active, and compliant suspension system.

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
We just had a pretty successful trip to Interbike last week. I was able to finish with the development version of the electronic shifting and it does indeed function as I claimed. You can easily fire off 4 shifts in under a second. Also, the rear hub turned out beautifully and super light. With a 240s front hub and 823 rims, the wheel build comes in at 1940g.

I am finishing up with a few details and will be riding the bike at the Red Bull Burner at Angelfire next weekend. Photos and video of the shifting to follow. Thanks!

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
sometimes it's great to be able to dump several gears, and I imagine that will be the ultimate accomplishment of an IG bike- being able to drop gears and setup perfectly for the exit of a turn, vs. having to shift and pedal and losing time.
this is what i like about the rohloff shifter; quick gear dump entering a corner & you're in your exit gear. i was surprised at the twisters effectiveness once i got used to it. thumbies & deraileurs seem clumsy to me now.

that said, there seems to be a general bias against them, so any alternative is a good thing in terms of sustaining the gearbox concept. i still like the idea of left & right paddles; one for up / one for down. mechanically preferably, for simplicity & durability. not hard to do i'm sure.

curious what happened to nicolai's trigger shifter that was purportedly in development some time back.

anyways... great work guys! good to see ongoing gearbox development.