Quantcast

Galbraith Q's

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
I may be going for a ride at Galbraith Saturday and am just wondering what the trails are like? I may have been there in the past, but not sure.

Where is it? Is there much climbing (pushing in my case)? tight singletrack? etc?

Help an old confused :monkey: out! :D

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
it's up in bellingham.
there is everything from a fire road climb to single track switchback climbs to a few small stunts and ladders and very steep and deep to very mellow rolercoaster xc stuff. It's a lot of trails all in one place....better get map.

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Tour guide available here.
Plan on a decent amound of climbing and general "trailbike" type trails. A few places have drops, steeps, and jumps, but over all it's an enduro XC type mountain. What kind of riding are you looking for?

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Park at Whatcom Falls park or near there and cross the street, go up Birch street to the end, youll see piles of dirt, follow the trail back in and youll hit the Ridge trail, take that up to the top and you can hit Bobs from there if you want to do that, along with several others, but get a map, I think Honeywell and I might try and go up Sunday but we will see.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Originally posted by mplutodh1
Park at Whatcom Falls park or near there and cross the street, go up Birch street to the end, youll see piles of dirt, follow the trail back in and youll hit the Ridge trail, take that up to the top and you can hit Bobs from there if you want to do that, along with several others, but get a map, I think Honeywell and I might try and go up Sunday but we will see.
I'll go with you on Sunday. Call me Sunday morning around 11:00, my number is 671-4527

edinSvenson2

Chimp
Feb 10, 2004
I'm a bored loser with a hardtail, and therefore found the time to do Galbraith twice today.

Generally if you're solo there's two cool freeride-ish lines to take (ill suggest two that you can find with one of those LocalKnowledge maps that you can get from a bike shop):

1) go up the lake padden side to the blue rock, take the first trail on your left

2) go up the ridge side, then do bob's

Other trails that are moderately cool, but not exactly scary by any means - I don't even know if I've got the right names:

Little Kids (take a right at the blue rock; starts with a ladder ride thing)

Jump trail (take a left a the blue rock, ride on the fire-road to a junction of fire roads (there is a rock hip jump thingy there), turn left onto downhill road and take the first right towards the campsite

Scorpion and all that other crap near the top towers

Hit me or someone else up if you need better directions; I can always PM you.

Erin

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
For Galbraith you guys are kind of listing off the wuss rides. If someone is coming up here from down south they probably want to make a day of riding and not a one hour ride on one trail (ie: Bob's).

Here's a trail list suggestion that probably won't mean much to someone without a map or knowledge of the mountain:

For the padden side: to the towers!
Upper scorpion (name?)
Lower scorpion
Dan's trail
Little Kids (name?)
Jump trail
Kaiser
New trail off kaiser (name?)
Sean's trail or 911
Chutes and Ladders or Lower Sean's
Lower chutes or whatever it's called.

For the ridge side:
Purple heart
Fire circle/jumps trail
El Pollo Elastico
Family Fun center
Bob's/Lower Bob's/DS trail

IMPULSE

Chimp
Mar 24, 2004
a lot of the good stuff like 911 is gone. That trail was awesome, worth coming odwn from canada to ride that and link it with all the trails.

roscifer

Chimp
Mar 14, 2004
Bellingham
Originally posted by IMPULSE
a lot of the good stuff like 911 is gone. That trail was awesome, worth coming odwn from canada to ride that and link it with all the trails.
911 was rebuilt, but it is definately not the same :(

there are still other trails to ride also, ie the cabin trail, the candy trails, intestine, cedar dust, keystone, the other trails off the towers that don't suck like the scorpion, and the 3 little pigs. I have also heard rumors of rebuilding being done in the bunny trails area, those used to be super fun before the chainsaws. I think it is time to get off the lazy bums and try to do some building in the oly trail area. Riding the new keystone kinda sucks since there isn't a good way to go once you hit fire road.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Originally posted by roscifer
911 was rebuilt, but it is definately not the same :(

there are still other trails to ride also, ie the cabin trail, the candy trails, intestine, cedar dust, keystone, the other trails off the towers that don't suck like the scorpion, and the 3 little pigs. I have also heard rumors of rebuilding being done in the bunny trails area, those used to be super fun before the chainsaws. I think it is time to get off the lazy bums and try to do some building in the oly trail area. Riding the new keystone kinda sucks since there isn't a good way to go once you hit fire road.
I think 911 is different, but fine. I agree, the bunny trails area needs rebuilding. I tried to find the trails a while ago and, well, they werent there (A long story results). I think that if we were to rebuild over there the trail would be really cool because there are a ton of fallen trees, etc. I havent been around oly before but sometime I'll find it. I'm willing to help build.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Gang, building at Galbraith without approval is only going to cause problems! So if that is what was suggested or has crossed some of your minds, dont do it without permission please.

I don't usually like to promote anything of the WHIMPs but in this case its a good thing. Usually they have trail parties to go repair trails and work on the area. If you want to get in on this let them know or pass on your suggestions on what trails need work.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Originally posted by mplutodh1
Gang, building at Galbraith without approval is only going to cause problems! So if that is what was suggested or has crossed some of your minds, dont do it without permission please.

I don't usually like to promote anything of the WHIMPs but in this case its a good thing. Usually they have trail parties to go repair trails and work on the area. If you want to get in on this let them know or pass on your suggestions on what trails need work.
:rolleyes: I knew that. I wouldnt build there without them letting me or me being with them, but if they would rebuild some of those trails, I'd be with them (to make the trails better than they might by themselves. I'd add log rides and ladders!)