Quantcast

Galby-Trail Work Sunday

whimps VP

Chimp
Jun 29, 2004
Bellingham
Looking for volunteers— The WHIMPs’ will be working on Galby this Sunday. Meet at the parking lot across from Galbraith 10:00 AM work until 1:30. we hope to continue working on the "wonderland" (near the towers). Dress appropriately for the weather. With a big crew we can finish the next section of trail and only have one section left before it’s fully reopened :) . We even have more swag to give way. :cool:

whimps VP

Chimp
Jun 29, 2004
Bellingham
it's hard to find good help--tag's a good he's with out job and rides 7 days a week :) so it takes him a few days to update the website.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
whimps VP said:
it's hard to find good help--tag's a good he's with out job and rides 7 days a week :) so it takes him a few days to update the website.
Oh, even though he said he'd do it that night... I know how that can be. Well, I'll see if I can drag any more people out with me this next time. How much farther do we have to go until the trail is done? I dont know exactly where it is gonna start when it's done.

whimps VP

Chimp
Jun 29, 2004
Bellingham
2 sections left--- about the same amount of trail as the section we just finished. there is a couple cool sand stone faces with drop potential in the next section.

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
yeah but David your drop would wind up about as big as a curb and you would name it something like "Gnar death dump". I better come up for this one. :)

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
smedford said:
yeah but David your drop would wind up about as big as a curb and you would name it something like "Gnar death dump". I better come up for this one. :)
Nope, It'll be The Terrifying Gnar Death Drop of No Return. :evil: If the rock is anywhere around six feet or so high that's where it will be, and maybe I'll make a smaller one, so you dont feel left out.

AA_Freeze

Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
Ferndale,Wa
thats what some kids told me was on Galby...insane runs :dancing:
Bring your big bike :rolleyes:

Looks like the weather is turning toward "no way Im going tomorrow"

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
AA_Freeze said:
thats what some kids told me was on Galby...insane runs :dancing:
Bring your big bike :rolleyes:

Looks like the weather is turning toward "no way Im going tomorrow"
Allen, don't be lazy, show up and lets make a good line. One we can be proud of. We need more freeriders up there working so the trails can start to be more aggresive.

AA_Freeze

Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
Ferndale,Wa
LAZY!!! :mumble: HOW DARE YOU! :eviltongu ...LOL, well, if the weather turns decent I am gonna hit the Snake early. They are just gonna do trail Mantainence I think, they would never go for a gnarly trial...there are good prospects up there, but till I see it in writing that we can put something in its not worth building something on Galby. Im down for trailwork and preserving the trail network up there though.... Maybe I will show for a bit, tomorrow my only day off. :drool:

whimps VP

Chimp
Jun 29, 2004
Bellingham
We're still on for this morning. There's just a trace of snow on top of yew st and it' suppose to clear and be partly sunny today. The more FR's that show the more aggressive the trail will become. :thumb: so see ya @ 10:00

SuperSlow

Monkey
May 18, 2004
Bellingham
Today went well. We built a pretty good drop off the side of the trail on to an off camber rock faced landing. More of you monkeys should show up next time

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
SuperSlow said:
Today went well. We built a pretty good drop off the side of the trail on to an off camber rock faced landing. More of you monkeys should show up next time
Now we need to make a sign for it that says "Gnar Death Drop of Doom and No Return (to the trail unless you go back up the hill)!

We also made the nearly vertical wall of death, it uses the same runout. :cool:

See you all at the meeting, check the whimps website for more info.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
So while we're on topic, and I have Darren here... why'd the jump next to the drop on Bob's get torn out? It was well built with a great transition and runout. I thought some natural stunts were okay? Please explain.

bigshred

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Bellingham
erikkellison said:
So while we're on topic, and I have Darren here... why'd the jump next to the drop on Bob's get torn out? It was well built with a great transition and runout. I thought some natural stunts were okay? Please explain.
Jump next to the drop? you talking about at the beggining of the trail right off the road? I dont ever remember there being a jump?

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Umm, I'm talking about the "Bob's Drop." The 4-5 footer that you can make 6 or 7 if you try hard. The one that is immedately followed by a rock jump to huge tranny, followed by a smallish gap/table. There was a jump built after the drop that went straight instead of turning right to hit that rock jump. I guess it's gone now. For the record, I am operating off of hearsay since my friend who regularly rides Galby told me all about it today at work.

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Word on the street says Bob was taking it out because of poor construction and going to replace it with something new, but perhaps not as big.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
dwaugh said:
...not an original feature on the trail.
Is this a problem? If so, how are we supposed to make the new trail you're building better later on if the stunts that need to be built on it aren't going to go in until later?
Also, I heard the construction was fine, but I trust Bob's judgement a lot too. But why not build something of the same caliber? Why scale it down? It can't have have been that large, and there was a ride-around, so you're not required to hit it.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
erikkellison said:
Is this a problem? If so, how are we supposed to make the new trail you're building better later on if the stunts that need to be built on it aren't going to go in until later?
Also, I heard the construction was fine, but I trust Bob's judgement a lot too. But why not build something of the same caliber? Why scale it down? It can't have have been that large, and there was a ride-around, so you're not required to hit it.
I just mean that someone else built it - not the whimps, and it really wasnt that well built, I saw it. It was really quite sketchy, nothing that I would have done.

whimps VP

Chimp
Jun 29, 2004
Bellingham
A couple issues here first, whoever built this drop had no permission. :nope: Second it was poorly built-- the cribbing was made of rotting logs the base material was mostly organic both lead to premature failure. :nope: Third Bob disliked it for all the above reasons an others. Bob is an exceptional builder and for most part has an open ticket to build on “bobs” with little WHIMPs involvement.