Quantcast

Galby Trail Work This Sunday

whimps VP

Chimp
Jun 29, 2004
Bellingham
Trail maintenance 1st and 3rd Sunday of each month meet 10:00am at parking lot across from Galbraith ln. Work until 1:30, this year we’ve introduced a rewards program and have a lots of swag to give away just need more volunteers. For info and updates visit www.whimpsmtb.com/etalk

whimps VP

Chimp
Jun 29, 2004
Bellingham
We are a little short of shovels and axes (ref Favorite tool). A dingo is a walk behind mechanized piece of equipment used in the landscape business. GR our trail guru owns such a business and is going to allow us to use his this Sunday :) . I have akey to the main gate so we can drive right to the trailhead of the "wonderland" :cool: or you can ride & meet us there

There is lots of cool stuff on Galby :sneaky:

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
whimps VP said:
We are a little short of shovels and axes (ref Favorite tool). A dingo is a walk behind mechanized piece of equipment used in the landscape business. GR our trail guru owns such a business and is going to allow us to use his this Sunday :) . I have akey to the main gate so we can drive right to the trailhead of the "wonderland" :cool: or you can ride & meet us there

There is lots of cool stuff on Galby :sneaky:
We're gonna fix Wonderland? Sounds like a plan. I'll try to make it. I got a shovel that I can bring.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
SuperSlow said:
ive got a shovel too. Ill be there with a few extra seats for anyone who wants a lift up
Cool, maybe I'll ride up with you. I'm pretty sure that I can make it there by 10:00 - 10:10. So, no bike needed, only tools? I can handle that. :)

Wonderland was one of the trails that was lost ot the logging, right? Are we gonna rebuild it in the clearcut? Becuase that would be cool, more tower trails are needed!

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Ooh, so this Sunday? If I'm feeling better by then, I'll more than gladly show up.
Wonderland needs to be brought back so we can connect to the other side of the mountain from up there! And this time, let's put some freaking stunts on it á la small-medium tables and some drops with trannies (but keep flow as a priority... it is a downhill-oriented geographical area after all). Seeing as how the progression of biking is catering to aggro trail riding and not xc stuff, let's work on embracing that! Lower 911 is a decent example :) If I'm there, I'll also look forward to meeting some of you!
Oh, and Bullitrider, yeah, most of that stuff got removed a while back because some of it was too sketchy. If we build it right though, there's no reason we shouldn't be able to have fun stuff like that once again. It'd give us a reason to bring our Bullits!

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
erikkellison said:
Ooh, so this Sunday? If I'm feeling better by then, I'll more than gladly show up.
Wonderland needs to be brought back so we can connect to the other side of the mountain from up there! And this time, let's put some freaking stunts on it á la small-medium tables and some drops with trannies (but keep flow as a priority... it is a downhill-oriented geographical area after all). Seeing as how the progression of biking is catering to aggro trail riding and not xc stuff, let's work on embracing that! Lower 911 is a decent example :) If I'm there, I'll also look forward to meeting some of you!
Oh, and Bullitrider, yeah, most of that stuff got removed a while back because some of it was too sketchy. If we build it right though, there's no reason we shouldn't be able to have fun stuff like that once again. It'd give us a reason to bring our Bullits!
Amen! I think you just nailed it right on. :thumb:

whimps VP

Chimp
Jun 29, 2004
Bellingham
in the clear cut leading in to the "naughtie nellie" and "keystone", it would be cool to see a more diverse trail crew. The more diverse the crew the more diverse the trail becomes. :) :)

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Yes, let's all us freeriders get out there and build some mad ish. I just need someone to teach me how as I've only build one dirt jump and one ladder huck (but it was a 15+ footer), both very solid. I'm sure y'all will be more than glad to mold my ideas into actual trail stunts.
And for the record, I'm not thinking of building any ladder huck of the 15 foot variety...

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
I wish I could be up there in Bellingham, but my human companion (wife) says I have things to do around here. I am looking for an animal companion(dog) to accompany me on rides. I am coming up there on Thanksgiving to eat some tofuturkey and totally vegetarian side dishes. I am going to be purifying my body of all the toxics and figure what better place than Bellingham. :) I am going to see an accupuncturist, have some aromatherapy and of course some yoga. How is the Feng-Shui on Galby? I am surprised you guys build stuff on Galby and its not all natural, and whats with the mechanical contraption? :nope:

Are there any special rules for riding Galby? I was particularly thinking about the women riders? (thanks Erik). I for one am getting tired of seeing way to many curves from the riders and not the trail. Maybe you could post a sign that riders be properly attired? :)

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
erikkellison said:
Yes, let's all us freeriders get out there and build some mad ish. I just need someone to teach me how as I've only build one dirt jump and one ladder huck (but it was a 15+ footer), both very solid. I'm sure y'all will be more than glad to mold my ideas into actual trail stunts.
And for the record, I'm not thinking of building any ladder huck of the 15 foot variety...
Yeah, I'll be there and if you have seen pictures of my woods you would know that I have built numerous ladders of all types and many dirt jumps ranging in size and type. I think that the main rule for stunts is that there has to be a clear and obvious way around them which is not hard to do. I can't wait to build!
Will we be needing any nails? I can bring a supply of them if so.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I don't know that we'll have much time for building stunts as of yet. My guess is that most of the day will be spend clearing the trail and shaping it a bit. We can do some layout as to where stuff should be constructed, but from aside dirt tables and banked turns, I'm not sure we can do a whole lot of construction considering the time. But that's just my guess. We may have to set another day aside for filling in all the holes we made on the trail with the construced apparatus that we intend to build.

whimps VP

Chimp
Jun 29, 2004
Bellingham
Tommorrow we'll be reopening the wonderland. we meet at the parking lot across from glabraith ln at 10:00 am and leave shortly after. I have a good supply of nails if needed see U tomorrow

SuperSlow

Monkey
May 18, 2004
Bellingham
trail work went well today. I was very impressed when I received a clif bar, tube, gloves, and a few other things upon arrival. I also got a free nokian tire! Good group of guys to work with (no whiners). Ill be a regular from now on...

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
SuperSlow said:
trail work went well today. I was very impressed when I received a clif bar, tube, gloves, and a few other things upon arrival. I also got a free nokian tire! Good group of guys to work with (no whiners). Ill be a regular from now on...
Wicked-cool!! Sounds like a good time and a good crew up there for sure.:thumb:
Your e-ears must have been ringing or something - I was wondering how it went up there just about 10 min. ago!:p

SuperSlow

Monkey
May 18, 2004
Bellingham
we need more "freeride/dh" type people up there. Most of the people were all xc type guys. I really think that with a more diverse crowd we could have a lot more versitality on Galbraith. It was a good time, and they give away alot of free swag!

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Well, given a day that I'm not bedridden due to illness, I would love to build some stuff there. As long as the trail makes use of some steep sections of trail, there's a lot we could modify into more freeridish kind of stuff. We could just build on existing stuff, as long as that's okay with Whimps, and the stuff is solid. Like maybe ladder drops to trannies and step downs, as long as we are not making the run-around difficult, or putting the stunt in a place that makes riding it too difficult (basically, I don't like it when hard/fast stunts are put on the side so they're hard to keep speed and maintain balance... put the go-around on the side instead). Anyway, I have lots of ideas, so I hope to hook up with y'all sometime.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
I'm not sure how much they would approve of actual stunts, they go for the natural stunts - log rides, stump drops, etc. Also, how the trail is built along the side of the hill, it would be very hard to put a stepdown or a ladder drop on it. Maybe we could make an offshoot trail from the side of it, but along this trail there really arent that many oppertunities for stunts.
However, other trails might have better stunt opportunities. We will need to ask them.

SuperSlow

Monkey
May 18, 2004
Bellingham
they have a problem with nailing rungs in to things. Its not them its the land owners. They are working with them to try to get permission to build nailed in safe stunts

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
That's a bummer, because ladder bridges are so much safer than log rides, and so much more fun! You really need a big log to get enough speed to huck off the end, and you usually can't move those. And how do you get to a stump drop but by a ladder bridge? So do they have problems with dirt stepdowns? We could just make them rollers that if you went fast enough, you'd get air. I guess I'll have to see the trail before I come up with many more ideas. And maybe have them work with Trillium some more to convince them that ladder bridges can be okay :)

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
I think they are fine with ladders to stumps and step downs. I really like the new stuff I am seeing on Galby. It makes me want to get involved more in the system. It is slowly changing into a more fun place to ride. Perhaps we can talk someone into letting us make a real freeride trail with some safe ride arounds to the side.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
You know that drop in lower Chutes? It's about 5 feet or so I think, with a nice ladder up to it? We need a trail full of those and doubles and hips and banked turns, all of the same caliber, smooth and not small... seriously. I'd love that, and it'd make Galby a little more respectable in that category of riding. Yes, ride arounds are apparently the only way to get a trail like that on Galbraith, so we can toss summa those in too.

whimps VP

Chimp
Jun 29, 2004
Bellingham
thanks for showing up guys :cool: , FYI--IMBA just came out with a new book “trail solutions” which sets guidelines for building better trails & more freeride trails. :) Soon we are going to purpose to trillium that by following these guidelines their liability is reduced, it may take some time but we keep moving forward.