Quantcast

gas at $20/gallon

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
yay for living in a red state :rolleyes:

I realize gas tax is specifically targeted for the highway fund, but taxation follows general ideas of what's a prudent use of public money. Who would have thought that outcomes in turn follow the same general pattern?

(The second map is of per student educational spending, btw.)

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Two posts and getting involved in a PAWN thread (let's be realistic about where this should reside)? Best of luck to you.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I'm very much in favor of increasing the gas steadily until gas is $5-$6 per gallon Then they can adjust the tax with ppb changes to keep the price for consumers the same. I also think it would force cities to do proper urban planning. Most cities have horrible urban sprawl. In PDX they recently started building small (few hundred square feet) dwellings that have no garages or drive ways. The intention is for people who intend to ride/walk/use public transit, to live there. If only I didn't have so many bikes...

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
it is very interesting to me how people expect a society that is completely dependent on gasoline/diesel to go cold turkey overnight. our shortsighted geographic development has pretty much made it a necessity to drive gas powered vehicles at some point. not to mention the countless industries and jobs predicated upon people driving cars and trucks, not just for commuting, but for their livelihood and also pleasure as well. like it or not gas burning jalopies are as american as apple pie and coca cola.

all you can do is try to make your impact as small as possible and live as smartly as possible. i always laugh when i see some redneck clan piled into a massive mini semi truck towing a miniature house halfway across the third largest state in the union just so they can "go campin and get some piece and quiet in the beauty of nature."

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i always laugh when i see some redneck clan piled into a massive mini semi truck towing a miniature house halfway across the third largest state in the union just so they can "go campin and get some piece and quiet in the beauty of nature."
I have no problems with this behavior at all, whatsoever… if the externalities (price of our military, non-greenhouse gas air pollution, greenhouse gases) are incorporated into the price of gas. But they're not. Thus this thread.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
if those costs were incorporated then that behavior would most likely disappear, and along with it another industry and its supporting jobs. i just find it funny the lengths that people go to just to experience the outdoors in a dulled down all the comforts of home setting.

what about the massive amounts of petroleum consumed in a non-fuel usage throughout countless other industries? seems like they are equally the culprit in terms of pollution and non-sustainable practices. taxing gas only would have a very narrow affect which would be quickly negated by the sharp decrease in demand imposed by higher prices.

i don't disagree that gas is far too cheap for us in americans, but if you are looking to curb the problem of fossil fuel pollution and consumption, foreign oil dependence (HA!), and soaring income to spending ratios then i think the better solution is to spread the income over multiple sources. but i digress...

heavy metal

Monkey
Mar 31, 2011
HI
In a world where gasoline is 20 a gallon, two ply dh tires could cost 200 bucks a pop.

Petroleum is in everything.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
My favorite time of year is here again... Sympathetic reporters talking to outraged citizens as they put $100+ worth of gas into their massive SUVs/pickup trucks. It's funny how they never interview the woman in the Prius or the guy riding past on his bicycle (laughing).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My favorite time of year is here again... Sympathetic reporters talking to outraged citizens as they put $100+ worth of gas into their massive SUVs/pickup trucks. It's funny how they never interview the woman in the Prius or the guy riding past on his bicycle (laughing).
i'm in utah for work right now. a lot of the people that work here drive short dick trucks*. they are all complaining about the few cents gas has gone up in the last week. now i'm REALLY glad I lost/ditched my truck when I did, and opted to go with something more fuel efficient.

*note: its not just people I work with, there's massive trucks EVERYWHERE here. I saw one the other day with massive exhaust stacks and a HUGE window sticker that said "hybrid repellent" :rofl: I drove past a few car dealerships too, most of the trucks on the lot come pre short dicked.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I've got a 4.7 four door tundra. It gets filled with people and bikes every weekend (last weekend was roadtrip to SD with 5 peeps, gear and bikes for the weekend). During the week if we're gonna go somewhere we take our jetta.

Had plans to pull our trailer on trip to moab for my wife's spring break. 50/50 chance that's not gonna happen if we hit $5/gallon. Yes, I'm definitely bummed.

Say what you want but my truck gets completely loaded down more often than not. To keep it efficient, I've actually been thinking about getting a larger truck with a diesel for towing. My buddy got 18 mpg out of his duramax towing a trailer. I get 11 towing with my current truck. ah well.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark

Thank you for reminding me why I never watch the news.

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
Let’s have a show of hands of those working in the logistics field?

Saying that you wish for a worst case scenario to get a rise out of people is one thing but to actually possess a want for anarchy is strange at best…there are no good outcomes.

What about the children? Isn’t the left always quick to pull the children card?

Edit: btw...if the pump price rises well above $5 a gal the voters may send the current Pres packing but then again he's been good and does what he's told to do....

J

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Here you go Toshi.

A gas station in Stuttgart, Germany charging $50.95/gallon of gas.

http://www.thelocal.de/national/20110426-34621.html

It was an isolated case, and only for premium.
:thumb:

Idiot drivers filling up without looking at the sign and then balking at the price... They're probably the same kind of people who judge how fuel efficient their car is by the size of their gasoline tank without taking miles traveled into account.
I've got a 4.7 four door tundra. It gets filled with people and bikes every weekend (last weekend was roadtrip to SD with 5 peeps, gear and bikes for the weekend). During the week if we're gonna go somewhere we take our jetta.

Had plans to pull our trailer on trip to moab for my wife's spring break. 50/50 chance that's not gonna happen if we hit $5/gallon. Yes, I'm definitely bummed.

Say what you want but my truck gets completely loaded down more often than not. To keep it efficient, I've actually been thinking about getting a larger truck with a diesel for towing. My buddy got 18 mpg out of his duramax towing a trailer. I get 11 towing with my current truck. ah well.
It sounds like you need to start collecting gas money from your freeloading buddies. :D

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I switched to Costco gas a few weeks ago. Better mileage, better power, cheaper. I'm not sure why, but Costco gas seems to be super gas.

conor

Monkey
Jan 19, 2009
Ireland
i was actually just talking about a fuel related game we play here called $7.60 a gallon, it's poorly made.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Let’s have a show of hands of those working in the logistics field?

Saying that you wish for a worst case scenario to get a rise out of people is one thing but to actually possess a want for anarchy is strange at best…there are no good outcomes.

What about the children? Isn’t the left always quick to pull the children card?

Edit: btw...if the pump price rises well above $5 a gal the voters may send the current Pres packing but then again he's been good and does what he's told to do....

J
Any increased issues with logistics (importing/shipping) are outweighed by the increased sales of bicycles to people who finally realize that it's cheaper to buy a bike than to keep putting $100+ worth of gasoline into their truck... Besides, it affects everyone the same, so if my importing costs go up, so does my competitor's.

And I'm sorry, the schadenfreude is just too much. We've had "record high gasoline prices" every year or two since '05 ('05, '06, '07, '08, '11). You'd think that in the past 6.5 years most people would have had to replace a car/truck/SUV, and if they chose to buy some massive, thirsty SDT (small-dick-truck) it's their own fault. In the summer of '08 when gas prices reached their high, small cars were in massive demand, Priuses were selling for *more* than sticker, and brands like MINI sold completely out of inventory. You couldn't *give* SUVs/trucks away.... And yet, 9 months later when gas was back around $2, sales of trucks and SUVs skyrocketed as everyone FORGOT what had happened the previous year. Now those same people are the ones griping to news crews as they put $100 worth of gas into their vehicle. In the screen shot of the video I posted, there's 2 corvettes and 2 SUVs.

How can you not find that funny?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Once the temps get back up into the 40's, I will be riding my bike to work again. It's just a little rough riding home in the dark when it is 30* before wind chill.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
No isht... That's a concept that I didn't notice in the 6 months I have lived here. I switched from Connoco to Costco, and noticed an improvement.
How much improvement are you talking? Did you driving patterns change at all? What about temperature?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I bought gas at Costco once. After sitting in line for 30min to save $2, I realized I should have just paid for the quickest gas and gone back to work. False economy if you get paid by the hour.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I bought gas at Costco once. After sitting in line for 30min to save $2, I realized I should have just paid for the quickest gas and gone back to work. False economy if you get paid by the hour.
Lines at the 4th Ave S location vary drastically by time of day. Same for their carwashes (an excellent deal at $7.99 or whatever it is now!).

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
How much improvement are you talking? Did you driving patterns change at all? What about temperature?
No driving habit changes and the temps have stayed between 30 and 40 for the most part. I'm seeing about 2mpg better from both of our cars.

I usually fill up around 7pm, as that is when I am usually driving past. No wait is great.