Quantcast

Gear Improvements the Industry Should Make

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
This thread is less about what's right/wrong, but rather gear improvements you'd like to see

Lockout remotes - while I'd prefer bikes have suspension designs that don't need lockouts, my current rig is significantly easier to climb with it on. However, I typically don't use it because I often forget to unlock it before I start my descent, and I usually don't want to stop mid-descent to change it. A handlebar mounted lockout lever would go a long way towards helping here (even better with a simple red/green visual indicator), but generally they're not available for most shocks.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
cane creek USED to make one for the climb switch on the various CCDB models. guess it didn't sell well enough.

also - i like the climb switch better than a pure lockout.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The flinging my ass into the sky and not working on bumps is a pretty good indicator that the lockout is still on. Remove before flight flag?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I blew up a CCDBACS when I hit an unexpected bump with the climb switch engaged. Also nearly destroyed the rear wheel during that event, almost 100 miles from the nearest civilization.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Because I am excessively lazy, it would be swell to have Fox and other fork manufacturers make another go at the fabled TALAS system that @kidwoo always raved about. I say that namely because I have a GG and like to switch between the TP and Smash, so having a simple dial to reduce/increase travel would keep me from having to drop the lowers and messing around with travel spacers. Or even if I weren't switching GG chain stays, it would be kinda nice to be able to add a little travel when I'm going to actually go ride something with the fabled East Coast Rox.

And a bottle cage for a 40 oz malt liquor bottle (obviously)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've become a big fan of lever-based setting systems...so having a downhill and an uphill circuit on your shocks, being able to custom tune them, and then being able to relatively rapidly change between them is good stuff. Current shocks have 3-way dampers but no compression on rear.

I like the idea of adjustable geometry too. Not that I'm going to adjust my BB height every ride, but being able to buy a single frame and then saying "I want a higher BB than somebody going mach stupid in colorado" would be nice.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Quality of frame construction and good quality control.

I just want to buy a frame and not have to check alignment, see if the bolts have grease or thread locker on them, or if they are overtorqued. I am not rich and when I am paying 2000$ (or more) for a frame-only, I'd like to receive a straight frame that won't eat shocks, bushings bearings, or crack because it's too out of spec.

Is this too much to ask? Over the years, I've had this happen many times (like 50% of the frames I bought) and even if the companies were nice to work with and ended up resolving the issues, ordering and receiving a new frame is now a stressful moment for me instead of being fun (which sucks!).

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
My list in no particular order
  • More research into ergos focused primarily on descending, and simpler guidance on bike fit for an individual’s body type, especially around the cockpit and bar height.
  • More quality brake options from more manufacturers. By quality, I mean stopping power at the Trickstuff level for 1/2 the price, with simple and infrequent bleeds.
  • More development on faster-rolling rear tires that still have DH-worthy side knobs.
  • More development on dry conditions tires.
  • More durable, yet sticky tire compounds from all tire makers other than Maxxis. Frankly I think Maxxis can do better in this area too, but they are the current gold standard.
  • More R&D on rim-inflation-tire as a system to bring the overall system weight down and offer near-100% puncture prevention with less hassle. Rim strips and bead-side spoke holes should go away entirely, and probably sealant too.
  • Dropper post system weights need to come down: there is 1 metal tube too many in the current system. I think it could possibly go to a simpler coil-based method that would require near-zero maintenance and still save weight over the current set-up.
  • Single crown CSUs need to be more dependable.
  • Long term I’m very excited about active suspension! It should be pretty sick as other players get into the mix and offer more sophisticated compression and rebound responses to the terrain at a working persons’ price.
  • In the meantime, I’ll echo the sentiment about remotes for trail/enduro bike suspension. My Meta is drilled for a shock remote but I’m not enthused about any of the options available for shocks I’d choose to run. One remote to control front and rear without cables or wires seems ideal. This would be way more beneficial than wireless shifting IMO.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
This may already be something that's in the works, but I will steal @SuboptimusPrime 's idea and say tires with foam inserts already adhered to the inside of the tire. I'd like to think this would make mounting the tire and getting a solid bead lock a little easier. That said, you couldn't reuse your magic foam hoop, but I'd be OK with that if in fact it was easier to mount, plus foam some inserts can get chunked up pretty bad over time anyway.

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
Ok, a couple more pipe dreams:

- brake pads that don't go to fuck with 0.000000000000000000000001 pico liters of, well anything other than water get on them. It's one thing if they get soaked in fork oil, mineral oil or whatever, but its a pisser when an aerosolized molecule of chain lube wafts by them and they're useless no matter what voodoo or oven baking you try.

- Cassettes like Sram's X-Dome offerings that don't cost $400+. I know its a neat machining process, but I am hoping someday another manu will be able to duplicate the process and offer it at a (much) lower price point.

- A lighter Rock Shox Totem...mainly to make kidwoo happy even tho he doesn't ride bikes anymore.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yes, but the drive to not pull over and get stuck behind someone usually wins out...for better or worse
That kind of racing=remote.

If it’s an enduro race, we’ll isn’t the point of that you aren’t restricted by time? You don’t want to get behind a bunch of slow people, but if you are climbing decent does that happen much because you can’t flip the lockout lever? Seems rare…

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Inserts should be integrated with the tire or tire-inflation-rim systems should be developed that don’t require an insert for aggressive/DH riding.
This may already be something that's in the works, but I will steal @SuboptimusPrime 's idea and say tires with foam inserts already adhered to the inside of the tire. I'd like to think this would make mounting the tire and getting a solid bead lock a little easier. That said, you couldn't reuse your magic foam hoop, but I'd be OK with that if in fact it was easier to mount, plus foam some inserts can get chunked up pretty bad over time anyway.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Inserts should be integrated with the tire or tire-inflation-rim systems should be developed that don’t require an insert for aggressive/DH riding.
what about combining an insert and sealant into one? almost like expanding foam, but stays semi liquid. would still need to allow pressure adjustment.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
That kind of racing=remote.

If it’s an enduro race, we’ll isn’t the point of that you aren’t restricted by time? You don’t want to get behind a bunch of slow people, but if you are climbing decent does that happen much because you can’t flip the lockout lever? Seems rare…
I'm not doing any official racing. For me the point of the climb switch is to keep my legs fresher for more runs; not wanting to pull over/slow down is about competition between friends.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Ok, a couple more pipe dreams:

- brake pads that don't go to fuck with 0.000000000000000000000001 pico liters of, well anything other than water get on them. It's one thing if they get soaked in fork oil, mineral oil or whatever, but its a pisser when an aerosolized molecule of chain lube wafts by them and they're useless no matter what voodoo or oven baking you try.

- Cassettes like Sram's X-Dome offerings that don't cost $400+. I know its a neat machining process, but I am hoping someday another manu will be able to duplicate the process and offer it at a (much) lower price point.

- A lighter Rock Shox Totem...mainly to make kidwoo happy even tho he doesn't ride bikes anymore.
I got this one recently, seems ok for the cost. Leaves lots of extra budget for that sweet sweet malt dranks.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I said this recently about this concept:
I love the idea, but THAT is how we will end up with $150.00 Assegais that we simply MUST have. (In MaxxGrip, of course)

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
I got this one recently, seems ok for the cost. Leaves lots of extra budget for that sweet sweet malt dranks.

Praise be to @FSM , his noodly majesty hath answered my prayer. But of course they don't seem to make an 11 spd mtb cassette (36 tooth "gravel" cassette was the only 11 spd model I saw). :disgust:

Still, the coin I could save on that cassette versus the Sram would largely cover my (begrudging) switch to 12 spd and perhaps a few oil slick flavored malty libations.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
I said this recently about this concept:
I love the idea, but THAT is how we will end up with $150.00 Assegais that we simply MUST have. (In MaxxGrip, of course)
Thats fair, but I still feel like the magic foam hoop really only costs about tree-fiddy to manufacture, so in my imaginary lizard free world, it wouldn't add much to the overall cost. That or someone like Delirium tires starts making them so they're reasonably priced.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Praise be to @FSM , his noodly majesty hath answered my prayer. But of course they don't seem to make an 11 spd mtb cassette (36 tooth "gravel" cassette was the only 11 spd model I saw). :disgust:

Still, the coin I could save on that cassette versus the Sram would largely cover my (begrudging) switch to 12 spd and perhaps a few oil slick flavored malty libations.
:p

I think @Nick was looking for an 11speed as well?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Sorry was trying to organise my list by priority.

I actually reckon bikes are pretty well sorted, despite a few outliers. OEM brake spec probably my biggest peeve. Shimano and SRAM completely own the market and neither are going to improve anything while they're so safe as OEM providers.

Also Resin Only rotors shouldn't have been invented. And god knows why anyone would save the $1.50 and run a galvanised cable instead of a stainless one. Some stuff just shouldn't exist as an option.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I wish all brakes used some sort of valve at the caliper (ie you can open/close the valve with an open ended wrench like with old Hayes/Hopes) along with screw-on type ports (like most brakes). No more fumbling with a little bleed port screw, torx wrench, syringe and 8mm simultaneously while getting the level right on the caliper to not introduce air.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I've become a big fan of lever-based setting systems...so having a downhill and an uphill circuit on your shocks, being able to custom tune them, and then being able to relatively rapidly change between them is good stuff. Current shocks have 3-way dampers but no compression on rear.

I like the idea of adjustable geometry too. Not that I'm going to adjust my BB height every ride, but being able to buy a single frame and then saying "I want a higher BB than somebody going mach stupid in colorado" would be nice.
ummm...my 11-6 works like this. although you have to go through the horrible effort of reaching down and flicking the switch. and many bikes have adjustable geometry that raises lowers bb height....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't need to use the climb switch on my shock for climbing but I will turn it on for boring trails which helps make the bike a little more poppy. So really a flow trail switch.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Better:

Bearing and Suspension Pivot life/reliability.

Dropper Seatpost reliability and ability for DIY'ers to maintain themselves.

Now that I read what I typed. Basically make EVERYTHING more reliable/maintainable. FFS we pay enough for the shit.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Bottle cages that fit Camelbak Podium bottle shape, or vice versa. I love those bottles (especially the dirt cap) but it bugs me that the "thumb" of all bottle cages doesn't line up with the Podium taper.

Universal adoption of bearing shields (like Santa Cruz uses). I've basically stopped using soap anywhere near my bike to reduce the need to replace washed out bearings. My last 2 bikes (Transition and GG) get like 1/4 the bearing life my previous Santa Cruz got.

Universal adoption of angled headset cups (like Specialized puts on most of their trail bikes now). I'd rather be able to adjust head angle than reach (ahem... GG).

"Trail" tire casings with extra soft compound. For those of us riding dust over hardpack, MG quality rubber makes a big improvement in grip, but a lot of places don't need tougher casings (no rocks).

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Universal adoption of angled headset cups (like Specialized puts on most of their trail bikes now). I'd rather be able to adjust head angle than reach (ahem... GG).
Even better if everyone used GG's system but also added angle adjusting cups for it instead of just reach.

Also everyone should include adjustable chainstays.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
A dropper that actually drops without having to squat down to make it drop.

I thought this was the reason for the wireless dropper, but they don't seem to do anything besides eliminate the $1.50 cable and a couple of bucks worth of housing. Yet they cost twice as much as the most expensive cable actuated ones.

B) I'm surprised that no one has made a dropper lever that matches up with a Shimano or Sram shifter so the lever is the same length/angle as the shifter. I saw a Wolf tooth that my buddy has and thought it was installed wrong. The thing was so far away from the bar that it didn't seem correct.