Quantcast

Gearing Question

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
I have a gearing question... right now on my Mob i'm running 28/13 which equals to 56... it was pretty hard, but great for me for street and DJ's....

i am planning on building a 4X/Commuter and hit the DJ's sometimes with it, but donot want a HARD pedal set up... i will be running this bike as SingleSpeed, with a Chain tensioner (as the bike will be Vertical Dropouts)

what would be great gearing? i was thinking....

28/14 x 26 = 52

30/13 x 26 = 60

30/14 x 26 = 55.7

can someone break down how this works, lower 50's = easy pedal while mid to upper 50's = harder pedaling?

Last edited:

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
28-13 was hard?? , i used to run that but was just too spinnish now on 30-13 which is a bit taller of a gear and its pretty much perfect for trails and parks. for commuting tho your gonna spin out all those ratios anyway. just stick with your current 28-13 if you think thats a hard gear... get used to it

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
28-13 was hard?? , i used to run that but was just too spinnish now on 30-13 which is a bit taller of a gear and its pretty much perfect for trails and parks. for commuting tho your gonna spin out all those ratios anyway. just stick with your current 28-13 if you think thats a hard gear... get used to it
lols... thanks....

this is for a diffrent bike... my MOB is at 28/13... i think i will run that...

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
yes, lower #'s equal easier pedaling/less top end and visa versa
i am building a similiar bike- versus jab jump frame that will also see a good bit of commuting. I have a pretty short commute but i live in the mountains so it is hilly. i am going to try 32/16 which should yield around 52 gear inches, and should be fine for all around use. i would shoot for closer to 55 if i lived in a flatter area tho.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
the28/13 is easy for me to pedal, actually... but since i'm building up a different bike i figued i throw in a bigger front gear and a big gear on back, but it will have a chain tensioner since it has Vertical Dropouts....

Bike wont be ready for another couple of weeks....

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i am planning on building a 4X/Commuter and hit the DJ's sometimes with it, but donot want a HARD pedal set up...
.... seems like most 'commuters' want a pretty stout gear.
then with singlespeed and fixed road bikes, those guys ride like 70+ gear inches.

most of NYC is pretty flat, no ?

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
yea, for the most part it is flat. the only real hills are all the bridges and the Bronx, but thats about it.

i think i have something like 36:15 on my commuter and i want it to be a bit harder.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
.... seems like most 'commuters' want a pretty stout gear.
then with singlespeed and fixed road bikes, those guys ride like 70+ gear inches.

most of NYC is pretty flat, no ?
Yes, flat... at least in Manhattan, where i'm commuting from and to.. the Bronx is really hilly... I opted for gears..... Running the bike with gears, since i'll be using it to commute, smoe local trails & some DJ's and pump track........ thanks for the reply though guys!

I'll use my blackmarket MOB for dedicated DIRT Jumps and Street... :-)

Last edited:

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
I find 26x12 perfect so that equals out to around 56.33
Trust me I don't think you would want to go any lighter then what you have, even for communiting once you get up to speed you will wish you had a harder gear.