Quantcast

Generators?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Anyone have generator backup for their house? Frau is tripping out about losing power and zombiepocalypse and wants to purchase one for the compound. I have only used them in tactical situations and have little generator fu outside of that...

Want to run the fridge, maybe a few space heaters...maybe a few klieg lights...24 hours max I hope...

Thoughts?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I chose a neighborhood with underground power lines. Problem solved. In the worst case I'd just go camp out at the hospital, with its expensive, tested-monthly generators. You still have base access?

I have a 5 KVA contractor's M-G set that I hook up in a forbidden configuration, which is to say open the main breaker, short the two 120 V legs together, and back-feed with a suicide cord, then manage my load by flipping other breakers as needed. Not recommended.

If you want to do it properly, you need to have an electrician install a transfer switch.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I recommend the book "Five days at Memorial" to you. :fie:
Oof, from that book's description it sounds like a true cluster. I trust UCH has better resources than a county hospital in New Orleans.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
For the fridge and a few lights a 2000 or 3000 watt inverter generator from Honda or yamaha ( enclosed, quiet and reliable) with a extension cord will do. They run 8 hours on a gallon of gas for the 2kw 6 for the 3kw. If you want to run the whole house you need about 6kw. The contractor style generators are great for power tools but the output is not good for charging electronics and can/may mess up your fridge motor. Plus they are noisy as shit. Store gas in a shed away from the house and any source of flame or spark. Add stabil to the fuel container to keep the gas from going bad in storage.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I have a 5 KVA contractor's M-G set that I hook up in a forbidden configuration, which is to say open the main breaker, short the two 120 V legs together, and back-feed with a suicide cord, then manage my load by flipping other breakers as needed. Not recommended.

If you want to do it properly, you need to have an electrician install a transfer switch.
I have an Onan 6500 that I run the same way.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I chose a neighborhood with underground power lines. Problem solved. In the worst case I'd just go camp out at the hospital, with its expensive, tested-monthly generators. You still have base access?
We have underground power lines and have lost power several times in the 2.5 years we have lived here. Not problem solved. :(

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
We have underground power lines and have lost power several times in the 2.5 years we have lived here. Not problem solved. :(
Transformers blowing upstream? The spice worms coming to roost finally and causing earthquakes?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
If you're looking at a permanent natural gas backup generator system, you're better off getting sometime you can use all the time like home battery system with a solar array. Depending on your needs you can buy several and they'll store more than enough power to last you through the night or typical outages and then during the day you'll have solar to power your home or spin your meter backwards plus generate additional income via SRECs.

Tesla is doing 14 kWh batteries in their second generation model and Mercedes has a much smaller model.

https://www.tesla.com/powerwall?redirect=no

2 Powerwall units offering 28 kWh cost about $12000 installed while a cheap air-cooled Generac home generator 20kW system costs about $10000 installed. The Generac is basically an cheap lawnmower engine that runs on natural gas - it needs regular maintenance like a lawn mower and will periodically run itself to keep it in decent shape due to the fact most people RARELY actually need a generator and they're a waste of money in comparison. Well designed battery systems, on the other hand, require little maintenance, can easily pay for themselves, and provide battery backup in emergencies.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My buddy has a Honda Generator at his bugout camp. He also has a wind turbine and 2 Portable Solar panels on a trailer and a battery system. The generator is noisy and very often not needed. The windmill is small and yet it powers both camps for the most part. It was very expensive also. The leasing company that services the Fracking operation he leases his land to paid for it and he supplies them with Electricity for their Monitoring Station in return. Pennsultucky allows you to play both ends. Not only did he get a grant for the panels and batteries. He can in turn sell it to his neighbors and make money. Any money he spends on the system he can write off on his taxes....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
2 Powerwall units offering 28 kWh cost about $12000 installed while a cheap air-cooled Generac home generator 20kW system costs about $10000 installed.
Yeah, but they're not equivalent. 20 kW * 24 hrs is 480 kWh. 480 >> 28. 28 would cover the average household for about 4/5th of a day. At low usage levels it'd last longer... but at those levels Eric's suggestion of a smallish Honda inverter generator and a transfer switch would do the trick for a fraction of the price.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yeah, but they're not equivalent. 20 kW * 24 hrs is 480 kWh. 480 >> 28. 28 would cover the average household for about 4/5th of a day. At low usage levels it'd last longer... but at those levels Eric's suggestion of a smallish Honda inverter generator and a transfer switch would do the trick for a fraction of the price.
I never said they're equal in anything but approximate cost and specifically noted the approximate run time under a decent load. Given a typical household outage other than a rare large scale outage from natural disaster or war it's far more practical and would easily pay for itself during it's decade lifespan with little to no maintenance in comparison a costly and mostly pointless generac system at a similar cost.

"Depending on your needs you can buy several and they'll store more than enough power to last you through the night or typical outages and then during the day you'll have solar to power your home or spin your meter backwards plus generate additional income via SRECs."

Unless he has a McMansion probably a single 14kWh with a 5-8 kW solar array would be a far better investment than a generac system. Similar to what jbcamb mentioned with his friend in PA.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
A far better investment would be that PV array and a savings account to buy an odd hotel night here and there.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
A far better investment would be that PV array and a savings account to buy an odd hotel night here and there.
Forward thinking public utilities have been pushing home batteries for a few years. Noticed this on my provider's page. They haven't yet updated it for the second generation:

http://products.greenmountainpower.com/product/tesla-powerwall/

A PV array alone certainly is the best investment but most places have regulations that prevent you from operating it during outages in case you are generating excess power and linemen are working on the lines. Also won't work when especially cloudy or at night.

Last edited:
@syadasti: I looked at the solar/battery approach and deemed it impractical. We have very modest power consumption, but we do have two and three day power outages if we get big ice storms and/or wind. For a three day outage in winter I want to keep freezer, refrigerator, furnace, water pump, a few lights, and a couple of computers going. We're putting in a 4.5 KW solar array in the spring, but adding battery capacity sufficient to cover what I need turned out to be stupid expensive.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
JBP the second generation increases to 14 kW/battery without a price increase - that's a big savings for a project.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Step 1, move frozen goods to outside if below freezing.

Step 2, fire.

Step 3, beer.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
OK if below freezing, ignoring wildlife, but does not cover prior experience.
Then I wouldn't worry. It' not like we live in rural Russia...yet. I've had the power go out numerous times in NorCal with big storms, for a few days, things are pretty good these days though it takes a lot to kill the power and it can usually be restored pretty fast. Barring some kind of epic end-of-world disaster or revolution, I'm not too concerned, and if that happens, I need a whole hell of a lot more than a generator. I don't live as rural as before though, so maybe if I did I'd want to be able to be more self sufficient, but it was usually understood then that you have a fireplace, candles, and you would wait it out because it wouldn't be a matter of weeks...

Then I wouldn't worry. It' not like we live in rural Russia...yet. I've had the power go out numerous times in NorCal with big storms, for a few days, things are pretty good these days though it takes a lot to kill the power and it can usually be restored pretty fast. Barring some kind of epic end-of-world disaster or revolution, I'm not too concerned, and if that happens, I need a whole hell of a lot more than a generator. I don't live as rural as before though, so maybe if I did I'd want to be able to be more self sufficient, but it was usually understood then that you have a fireplace, candles, and you would wait it out because it wouldn't be a matter of weeks...
It's not a survival issue, I can manage that. Discarding contents of refrigerator and freezer after three days is an obnoxious mess and a pain in the ass.

splat

Nam I am
After 2 week long Power outages a couple of years ago I invested in a 3200Watt , enough to keep the refrigerator, a few lights and Heat . I do it all with extension cords . of course since then we have not lost power . I run the Generator once every couple of months just to keep things moving

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
This. I too have underground power, but have lost power a handful of times in the past 7 years.

Unless the power plant is in your backyard, you're still just as vulnerable.