Quantcast

Geo question

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I notice several manufactures, most noteably Specialized and Felt, sell 2 different bikes at the same price points with different geometry. ie, the Roubaix vs the Tarmac and the Z vs the F.

The main difference seems to be the head angle and the coorelating rake.
74 vs 72.5

What are the Pros and cons of each? I understand exactly how this would effect a mountain bike, but I don't have enough time on different road bikes. Fork rake is also never a variable on the dirt, so it's never in the equation.

I'm not a racer, but I don't do long miles either. 50mi max. I ride a lot of rough roads, and lots of time in traffic dodging cars. I want something fast and light compared to my 25# current ride.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Another thing to look at is head tube height - the Roubaix for instance has nearly a 1" taller head tube than a Tarmac, which provides for more upright positioning. Depending on your flexibility/body proportions this could be good or bad. If you want something that feels 'fast' or quick-handling, get the steeper head angle bike.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Went and sat on some bikes today. Couldn't ride any as I had the rug rat in tow.
The Spec felt like poo. Maybe it gets better on the road.
The Z felt tiny. The 61 is smaller than my current 58.
Discovered the Look 566. Seems decent though a little more money.
Any thoughts.

I'm afraid of buying the latest version of a comfort bike.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The big test is how flexible are you?

Can you touch your toes? Palm the floor? Then a good setup for you is having the handlebars 1-3 inches below the saddle height, which is the Tarmac.

If you are really inflexible, or suffer from back problems, the Roubaix is a more relaxed geometry.

I've ridden the Roubaix around, and it seems fine. If you don't plan on racing crits, a longer wheelbase should be more comfortable.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
I'm afraid of buying the latest version of a comfort bike.
Unsugar coated, that's exactly what they are. A traditional road race geo bike and a road comfort geo bike, but still up for serious outings. Most companys have them now. Sold to mainly older folks who just want to get out and still do some serious rides without the twitchier, speed handling.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Unsugar coated, that's exactly what they are. A traditional road race geo bike and a road comfort geo bike, but still up for serious outings. Most companys have them now. Sold to mainly older folks who just want to get out and still do some serious rides without the twitchier, speed handling.
Yeah, I work for a Fuji dealer, and they do that too. There are a bunch of price points they hit with bikes with both road race and more recreational/ comfort oriented geo, from a $750 Tiagra bike up through some ~$1900 carbon stuff.