Quantcast

Getting to South SeaTac carless?

Obviously part of urban is just pedalling around and scoping out spots. But Seattle is hella hilly, so that factors in. I'm going to be in Seattle from tomorrow through Wednesday AM...with car access only part of the time. So...I was wondering a) whether the city bus bikeracks will accommodate freeride setups (if I remember correctly, the arm goes over the tires, but I've only used them with road and XC bikes, so wasn't sure if they'd accomodate beefier tires and rims and b) if there are buses that go in the vicinity of South SeaTac, as I may be jonesing to ride there before I have a (motorized) ride available ;-)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
that's a good question....... i don't know about the rack system, might just wanna go check out a bus real quick at downtown and find out...
i do know the best bus to take from DT would be a 194 then jump on a 174 to 200th st. Pac Highway....
if you need a guide to show you around there, i might be available tomorrow or Saturday, drop me a pm if you do....

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
bikegrrl said:
Obviously part of urban is just pedalling around and scoping out spots. But Seattle is hella hilly, so that factors in. I'm going to be in Seattle from tomorrow through Wednesday AM...with car access only part of the time. So...I was wondering a) whether the city bus bikeracks will accommodate freeride setups (if I remember correctly, the arm goes over the tires, but I've only used them with road and XC bikes, so wasn't sure if they'd accomodate beefier tires and rims and b) if there are buses that go in the vicinity of South SeaTac, as I may be jonesing to ride there before I have a (motorized) ride available ;-)
http://transit.metrokc.gov/

Here is the link to the bus service in King Co. They might have info on the limit to weight and tire width. Also, most of the bus racks I have seen in the area are made by Sportworks here in Redmond. You might try and call them on sizing questions.

bikegrrl said:

if you wanna go ride hit me up, Ill haver a bunch of freetime for the next couple of weeks ;) I can take you there if you want?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I rode a bmx bike from downtown seattle to federal way one time. this was before you could bring a bike on the bus.
a friend of mine rode his bmx bike from seattle to CANADA!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
pnj said:
I rode a bmx bike from downtown seattle to federal way one time. this was before you could bring a bike on the bus.
a friend of mine rode his bmx bike from seattle to CANADA!
alright you gotta share more of this story. How long did it take, which route was he riding, what the hell did he do it for and why didn't he just take a frikkin bus....?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Skookum said:
alright you gotta share more of this story. How long did it take, which route was he riding, what the hell did he do it for and why didn't he just take a frikkin bus....?
I think he took I-5. at some point in time I think you have to be on I-5.

this was around 1989/90 and the GT team was in canada doing a show. I think it took 13 hours. he raised his seat WAY the fvck up and pedaled...

I have no idea why he didn't take the greyhound. probably didn't have the money or they weren't keen on having a bike on the bus.

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
casey and i will be out at seatac sunday at 12 ish if you need a guide just look for a silver AC1 with a super t and a silver stinky with a junior t.