Quantcast

Giant Glory vs. RM Flatline for Whistler

wildcard

Chimp
Jul 9, 2007
I am a 5'8", 135lb rider, skinny computer nerd style, skill level is expert (when it comes to tech/gnar, I am not so good at jumping, yet).

I've ridden the RM flatline park (and pro) bikes from summit rentals (and that is what my brother has when I borrow his) and they were pretty good. I'm in the market for a new setup, instead renting / borrowing and thinking of getting the giant glory (used, probably an 06 or something). I like my suspension soft and supple.

What do you think of the Giant Glory for Whistler and how would it compare to the RM Flatlines I've ridden?

Thanks for any insight!

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
If you chose Glory, I would suggest size M, coz that gen. medium size was short. And then, I would put angle set - CC or new h-set from FSA.

wildcard

Chimp
Jul 9, 2007
Thanks for the info guys! What sort of differences would I notice with the glory over the flatlines? Do you think it would be a better / more enjoyable experience or would the differences be so small that I wouldn't even notice?

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
The older flat lines were tanks. Super long chainstays, heavy, bad pedaling bikes. The glory can hold its own against most bikes, a used sunday is also a great option. I just spent a month on one after owning several new fancy bikes since my last sunday (2007), and that frame still flat out rips.

Other good choices would be a used demo 8, a 2008+ Norco team dh, cove shocker, or a well taken care of v3 v10. I'm sure there's lots of others, too. Bikes to stay away from would be those with needle bearings (older devincis and turners), or older intense bikes (short bearing life, thin tubes).

I'm sure you'll find something cheap and good, but generally speaking, you'll have a much easier time with long-term serviceability with a major market brand, than with something boutique. Buying used means no warranty, but it's nice to have a good crash replacement program and easy to find hardware kits.

On that note, Iron Horse is no longer around, but it seems like there are plenty of ways to get replacement hardware for those. Cove is boutique, but if you're living in bc, you can bug them inn person and they haven't changed that frame much since 06.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The older flat lines were tanks. Super long chainstays, heavy, bad pedaling bikes. The glory can hold its own against most bikes, a used sunday is also a great option. I just spent a month on one after owning several new fancy bikes since my last sunday (2007), and that frame still flat out rips.

Other good choices would be a used demo 8, a 2008+ Norco team dh, cove shocker, or a well taken care of v3 v10. I'm sure there's lots of others, too. Bikes to stay away from would be those with needle bearings (older devincis and turners), or older intense bikes (short bearing life, thin tubes).

I'm sure you'll find something cheap and good, but generally speaking, you'll have a much easier time with long-term serviceability with a major market brand, than with something boutique. Buying used means no warranty, but it's nice to have a good crash replacement program and easy to find hardware kits.

On that note, Iron Horse is no longer around, but it seems like there are plenty of ways to get replacement hardware for those. Cove is boutique, but if you're living in bc, you can bug them inn person and they haven't changed that frame much since 06.
QFT. A used sunday or a v3 v10 is a great option. Also what about Tranny blindsides? They are very fun bikes and transition has great cs.

Manifesto

Monkey
Aug 16, 2009
your moms basement

heres my glory, it's not that good of a bike in my opinion. only place it excelled was threw the super rough stuff, it cornered like **** and everything else blew huge dong

wildcard

Chimp
Jul 9, 2007
Thanks for the feedback everyone, it certainly helps. I think that I am going to go for the Glory based the feedback and price. Like I said, probably looking at a used one... What do you think of a 2006 or 2007 frame? Is it worth it to get a newer one? Did they make any significant changes recently that make the newer ones significantly better? Or is a 2006 / 2007 just as good?

Thanks!