Quantcast

giant VT frame buildup help..please

ottomatik

Chimp
Aug 7, 2005
yucaipa CA
:rolleyes: hey i just got a new giant vt3 frame from wheel world for $399! i need a little help though. it came with a seatpost shim (30.8-27.2) should i just buy a 27.2 post or try and find an oddball 30.8, will using the shim be a weak link on my bike? what size front derailler to i use? i want to use 8 spd. xt or xtr, i know its bottom pull. i'll be using a fox vanilla 125 rlc and hayes 8" hydros. if youve got experience with this bike and can give me any advice i thanks you in advance-brian :help:

alexchannell

Chimp
Jul 23, 2005
In theory a 30.8 will be better (reinforce the seat tube a little better) but it is by no means a major concern. Many people have had trouble with the shim/posts squeaking, but with a good coating of grease, you should not experience this. The front deraileur tube on my Reign is 35.2 mm, I believe your's is the same. I had a bad experience with Hayes so i'm a hater, but I've heard they work well enough. Mine creaked like crazy and didn't have much power (2002 Mags)

thegoodword

Chimp
Oct 29, 2003
Walla Walla, WA>Boise, ID
I just built up a VT a month ago. I called Giant and they said to use a 34.9 dual pull XT M760. I ended up using an older XT (M731 if I remember correctly) bottom pull and it is working. My shim is holding a 27.33 Thompson just fine although I have to pay extra attention to the tightness of the seatpost collar.