Quantcast

giants 2009 bikes are up!

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
BIG props to Giant for keeping an archive of past year's bikes on it's web site. Coolest thing ever, wish other companies would do it.

Not like it costs them anything to keep the old pages on their server.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
How do they get the extra .8" on the Glory DH? Frames look the same, is it simply different links to get more out of the same shock travel?

Ooo, look at the rear axle dropouts, or lack thereof anyway.

Last edited:

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i'm digging the maxle and integrated headset on the glory dh. aren't those frames still heavy though?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BIG props to Giant for keeping an archive of past year's bikes on it's web site. Coolest thing ever, wish other companies would do it.

Not like it costs them anything to keep the old pages on their server.
Who doesn't keep a 3-4 year archive of bikes? I have looked at 6year old Trek models, my 2004 Kona, Specialized to 2004.

I can usually find any model of bike after 2003.

EDIT: Major company with full sized web departments, not Joe Builder with a staff of 7.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Get the trance! I use one for DS Mtx and it is one of the best frames out there for DS!!

Edit! Giant isn't making the regular 4" Trance? evidently not listed. Looks like they are doing
the anthem x in it's place.
The Trance X would be the best choice then, that's what Jared and Amiel are running-

The Anthem doesn't look like the geometry is as good for DS 4X - as the trance as well as the frame
doesn't look as sturdy on the anthem. Glad I got my 08' while they lasted - couldn't be happier with it!

Maybe there are some 08's left if you hurry! I got the trance 2 and stripped it and sold the parts off.
The complete bike was 1000 us dollars. Sold the parts for like 6 or 7 hundred, added my parts and viola!
Cheapest way to aquire the frame as well. The trance 2 came with a giant rear shock which seemed pretty good but, I replaced it with a fox rp23

Last edited:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
yea id say the complete is going to be around 44lb range. my 09 that i built up is sittin at 42.5 and its built to take racing abuse too.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
the glory is a nice bike. had mine for over a year now and its awesome. does everything it claims to do very well.

10cannon

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
living out of my car
Just under 12.5lbs with shock and spring. Look for 2lbs/3lbs to come off of that on the 2010 frame.
Good googly-moogly, that is alot of weight for a frame these days even with the shock. I hope for Giant's benefit, even though I am not a big Giant fan, they can take off a couple of lbs by 2010.

pain

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
theres a new 09 glory at my shop its pretty nice, they said it weighs around 44 pounds

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Good googly-moogly, that is alot of weight for a frame these days even with the shock. I hope for Giant's benefit, even though I am not a big Giant fan, they can take off a couple of lbs by 2010.
yea but even tho it weighs a few extra pounds, it out pro forms many many bikes out there on the market. so either take it or leave it.

but yes, it would be nice to loose those extra few pounds, but giant knows their products are some of the best and stand behind it even if its a little heavy.

AzToJrse

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
SOUTH JERSEY
i just got the 09 glory complete that weighed in at 42.9 lbs without pedals. not bad. what a great build for a complete bike. the new saint products are great!

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
i just got the 09 glory complete that weighed in at 42.9 lbs without pedals. not bad. what a great build for a complete bike. the new saint products are great!
damn keith thats pretty light, i guess all the saint stuff really lowered the weight this year. yours is medium right?

10cannon

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
living out of my car
yea but even tho it weighs a few extra pounds, it out pro forms many many bikes out there on the market. so either take it or leave it.

but yes, it would be nice to loose those extra few pounds, but giant knows their products are some of the best and stand behind it even if its a little heavy.
I'm sure it's a great preformer but still at that weight, I'll pass and stick with my enduro

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
I'm sure it's a great preformer but still at that weight, I'll pass and stick with my enduro
except those are two completely different bikes built for two completely different types of riding...hard to complain about the weight there.

10cannon

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
living out of my car
except those are two completely different bikes built for two completely different types of riding...hard to complain about the weight there.
perhaps, but I will still pass on the Giant. And at 12.5 lbs you have to admit that is alot of weight for todays standards. However, I will say this about Giant they still have reasonable prices which does make them more appealing compared to many of the leading mfg's who are pushing 4,5, and 6 g's for their bikes

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
perhaps, but I will still pass on the Giant. And at 12.5 lbs you have to admit that is alot of weight for todays standards. However, I will say this about Giant they still have reasonable prices which does make them more appealing compared to many of the leading mfg's who are pushing 4,5, and 6 g's for their bikes
hate to say it but giant really upped their prices this year and are sittin at 5,400 for a complete. yes alot of money but yet still about 1,000 less then a sunday. take that extra 1,000 you save and buy yourself some race fees/hotels and gas for the season. the glory is a great race rig. also since it weighs in at 44 complete it doesnt even feel like it. the weight is so low in the frame and rides/pedals very good so its hard to tell it even weighs that much. go out and throw a leg over you, you will see.

and the enduro? do you actually race DH on that thing? prob not on any crazy east coast trials...

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
hate to say it but giant really upped their prices this year and are sittin at 5,400 for a complete. yes alot of money but yet still about 1,000 less then a sunday. take that extra 1,000 you save and buy yourself some race fees/hotels and gas for the season. the glory is a great race rig. also since it weighs in at 44 complete it doesnt even feel like it. the weight is so low in the frame and rides/pedals very good so its hard to tell it even weighs that much. go out and throw a leg over you, you will see.

and the enduro? do you actually race DH on that thing? prob not on any crazy east coast trials...
so your saying that is not a sunday...:brows:

*let the flaming begin*

10cannon

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
living out of my car
I can't say I do much racing anymore these days, regrettably. And being part of the midwest riding crew.... can't say I get out to east coast trails much either, although I have heard nothing but good things about that part of the US for cycling in several disciplines

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
sadly comparing apples to oranges with a glory vs. an enduro, the trance x would fit the bill and would be a great bike for the midwest likely!

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I've got a 09 Trance X frame coming. It will be used as my all mountain/XC ride. I'll replace my Faith frame with the new 2010 Glory frame. As nice as the new 09 Glory's are it doesn't have any real performance adavantages over the faith frame set.

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
I've got a 09 Trance X frame coming. It will be used as my all mountain/XC ride. I'll replace my Faith frame with the new 2010 Glory frame. As nice as the new 09 Glory's are it doesn't have any real performance adavantages over the faith frame set.
Yeah i thougth the same thing, I'm keeping my faith until the second generation glory came out.

BTW i rode a glory last weekend, with the same shock and 450lbs spring that i got in my faith and it felt the SAME.