Quantcast

Gloveless You Say? kidwoo's Guide To Bltchin' Grips

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I find lock on grips to be pretty dangerous, I've sliced my hands open on the collars a few times.
Uh? Surely the only part of the collar you're likely to cut your hands on is at the clamp/bolt?
I always make sure to rotate my grips so the outer collar's split/clamp/bolt are positioned underneath the bar so other than roatating your hand to table (where I have a light grip anyway) that part never touches my hands..
if your clamps are ragged from crash damage, file/change them.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
These are the last grips I rode on a regular basis without gloves:

Riding without gloves feels as weird to me as riding without a helmet. I do both sometimes for casual stuff, but it just feels off.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Uh? Surely the only part of the collar you're likely to cut your hands on is at the clamp/bolt?
I always make sure to rotate my grips so the outer collar's split/clamp/bolt are positioned underneath the bar so other than rotating your hand to table (where I have a light grip anyway) that part never touches my hands..
if your clamps are ragged from crash damage, file/change them.
I ride with my palm half way off the end of the handlebar, like a lot of people.
When your meat is butted up against a chunk of metal, bad **** can certainly happen. Constantly maintaining my grips in the middle of the summer when I'm riding lifts 4 days a week after work just ain't gonna happen, time-wise.

I nearly de-gloved my penis with a lock on clamp(a fresh one) at the dirt jumps the other day washing out in a berm. Things sliced straight through my clothes, core sample style and abraded my penis. I dislike penile laceration as much as the next guy, yet lock-on grips are just so rad and convenient i just can't quit them.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I ride with my palm half way off the end of the handlebar, like a lot of people.
When your meat is butted up against a chunk of metal, bad **** can certainly happen. Constantly maintaining my grips in the middle of the summer when I'm riding lifts 4 days a week after work just ain't gonna happen, time-wise.

I nearly de-gloved my penis with a lock on clamp(a fresh one) at the dirt jumps the other day washing out in a berm. Things sliced straight through my clothes, core sample style and abraded my penis. I dislike penile laceration as much as the next guy, yet lock-on grips are just so rad and convenient i just can't quit them.
brokeback handlebars?

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
if I'm grabbing the bike out of the shed and having a quick blast on it I go gloveless, thrash it about for a bit then throw the bike back in the shed. Normally I use ODI Ruffians, I like them best when worn almost to the lock on core and tacky as hell. Used some Rogues for a bit, hated them.

longer rides I throw on some very thin gloves, just to stop the grips getting too sweaty or wet and slippery.

Would like to give some of these a go on my city bike (which never gets ridden with gloves on) http://www.bmx-shop.com/cult-vans-waffle-sole-grips.html

Bedlam

Monkey
Feb 13, 2010
Under ground

I simply cannot fathom how you managed that. Wow.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA

Why don't you just run lock-on grips that don't have an outside metal collar? Problem solved.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Why don't you just run lock-on grips that don't have an outside metal collar? Problem solved.
Very few of them are thin enough.

This is why I'm into the Sensus lock-ons

They're thin as hell, have some rubber overhanging the clamp and are made in the USA by ODI.

As I mentioned earlier- there are some single clamp Ruffian clones that are OE equipment on some brands that are pretty rad. Can't find 'em wholesale though.

That being said i'd certainly rather support a company like ODI(who make the Sensus grips), who are so committed to domestic bike racing and domestic manufacturing.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC

:eek: I can feel my palms getting sweaty just looking at that.
I like thin gloves and thought these would be the sh1t when I first saw them but tried a pair on in the store and they feel like they're made of tissue paper. Can't see them lasting more than a few months of hard use or surviving past the first crash. Your mileage may vary as this is really just the average 'Bounced on the suspension in the shop, bike feels flexy' review extrapolated to gloves.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Funny how every now and then you hear people complain about something that the vast majority view as a problem-solver.

I have a buddy who still rides with toe clips too. :D

BTW, I expect you know this, but end caps are great for preventing core samples. If you ride without end caps, you are probably at a bigger risk of a nasty core sample using non-lock-ons. The thin wall of a bar will go straight through a soft rubber grip. You should probably count yourself lucky the lock-on clamp help prevent a worse injury.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
kid thanks for posting this up, i am the direct opposite of you, ride gloveless for everything except dh. long time ruffian guy, ride the sensus grips on my dj and without a doubt they are my fav grip ever...

for some reason, i missed the fact they are making them with a lockon...what was that salmon hook thing they had a while back? looks like my 10+ year tenure with ruffians is over...swayze for days.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
What no love for the Ouryzzzzz the official hipster grips!??!? Without the plastic gizmo of course. Big hands need big grips otherwise fingers overlap and cramp

Last edited:

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
I like thin gloves and thought these would be the sh1t when I first saw them but tried a pair on in the store and they feel like they're made of tissue paper. Can't see them lasting more than a few months of hard use or surviving past the first crash.
With gloves this thin, I'd consider a few months of hard use (for me that means five days a week in the bike park) to be exemplary.

Am more than happy to trade off durability for performance. I am running Boxxers and a Vivid Air, after all.

My Raji's have two months of five day per week bike park use, and they're as good as new. I don't think that the Concepts will do any worse.

Last edited:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
rode gloveless for the first time not on a DJ bike in about 10 years because of this thread. i liked it. not having funky crusty, torn, gloves that load up with sweat and stretch out was nice.

ruffians are pretty good, though a little soft and sticky. anyone using the ODI crosstrainer? is it as thin as a ruffian? is there 130 length sensus? or 143 only?

i really liked the deity leans gloveless on the old DJ bike for those that don't love shrooms like wookid.

Last edited:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
i like where your mind's at, but i have no idea what the above is supposed to mean.

triple shot of whiskey + 2 ice cubes will help.

you KNOW jonathan is elbow deep in booze right now.

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
What no love for the Ouryzzzzz the official hipster grips!??!? Without the plastic gizmo of course. Big hands need big grips otherwise fingers overlap and cramp

good grips for those of us with male hands. I prefer Rogues if there's a chance of rain though. Non-lockons of both are more comfy, but dealing with non-lockons is a hassle for me.

Last edited:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I've been on lock-ons since they first came out, I remember being about 14 and saving up lawn mowing money to ride down to the LBS to buy ODI's. But lately I've been contemplating going back to standard grips, what is the latest and greatest way to secure them? I've done the hairspray and compressor tricks, I've also seen some of the pros "wiring" them, I did that once on my moto but the end of the wire cut my hand in a crash, haven't done is since. I really wanna try standard grips but the last thing I want is to be in the middle of a trail ride and have throttle grip...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
canned air (the kind used for cleaning keyboards and electronics) works in a pinch if you don't have access to an air compressor

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've got to imagine moto grip glue works better than hairspray (at least better than the smelly shlt I bought to put them on my dirtjumper). I actually ended up supergluing the ends because the sensus ones I have still kept twisting.

Last edited:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I've got to imagine moto grip glue works better than hairspray (at least better than the smelly shlt I bought to put them on my dirtjumper). I actually ended up supergluing the ends because the sensus ones I have still kept twisting.
I have never used moto grip glue, which im sure works great. But lately I have been using krylon spray clearcoat (spraypaint) inside the grip, and a strong arm to put them on. They don't move, at all, ever.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
never used moto grip glue, but i had that aqua net sh*t last a good two years on a bmx bike once. Including a couple rides where i got caught in the rain.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Not a lock-on fan, and never have had much luck with any "adhesive" methods of securing my beloved Odyssey team grips. I've tried grip glue, spray paint, hair spray, and a bunch of other voodoo. What has worked for me is to put a layer of skate grip tape down, slide the grip on dry with an air compressor, then saftey wire down the ends.