Quantcast

Gloves: Fingerless or Fingered?

What kind of gloves do you wear for the road?

• Fingered

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Fingerless

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • No gloves

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The winter is starting to be memory, but I was curious to know if people used fingerless or fingered gloves on these spring rides?

I see pictures of the Euro road teams, and most of them are using either bulky winter gloves or nothing. I am sure it is tradition, but on my 55-65 degree ride today, I am sporting my Fox Inclines.

J

JRB

I ride the moutain bikes with full fingered, but the roadie gets fingerless. If it is cool, I wear full fingered on the road. I don't get so sweaty that I can't hold on. On the mountain bike I do.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I ride farily basic 661 full fingers on my mtn bike all year long. They also double as my cold weather road gloves. Once it breaks about 50 degrees or so I go fingerless on the road.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
sanjuro said:
I see pictures of the Euro road teams, and most of them are using either bulky winter gloves or nothing. I am sure it is tradition, but on my 55-65 degree ride today, I am sporting my Fox Inclines.
Looks like almost everybody is wearing gloves to me...

Leif Hoste seems to be the exception...

I might see in the winter if they start in winterish gloves then have to take them off halfway through and don't have shorties on underneath them not wearing any but most sure do.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Wumpus said:
Cold weather -- Long finger
Any other time -- Shorties

Y'all that don't wear gloves are nuts. One time going down on gravel or asphalt...:dead:
I've gone down on both before. I've never cut up my hands in either case. I figure if I'm hitting the deck, my hands aren't the biggest concern.

Oh, and I can't stand most finerless gloves because of the padding. My hands aren't going numb or anything, so I like having thin gloves for better feel and grip.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Wumpus said:
Looks like almost everybody is wearing gloves to me...

I might see in the winter if they start in winterish gloves then have to take them off halfway through and don't have shorties on underneath them not wearing any but most sure do.
On the cobbles, I think riders are going to use some padding. On glass smooth roads during winter training though...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I didn't say the peleton does not wear gloves. I just noticed in a lot of winter training camp photos, a lot of the riders are wearing no gloves, which I thought was a little strange.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
I guess fingerless protects your palms, but why not save your whole hand, especially the useful parts. I figure if I fall off and end up with a hand down, I'd rather tear up none of my hand than only half of it. So I ride full fingers all the time or no gloves at all if it's really hot.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Most roadies think they will never crash. And when do, gloves are not going to protect them.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
No, they don't do much for a broken hip, but I've seen some shredded gloves after a crash that would have been shredded fingers and torn off fingernails. Still worth having.

cyclopath

Chimp
Apr 19, 2006
Texas
it's just to darn in Texas during the summer to wear gloves at all, but you can really sweat, so gloves give you a way to wipe the salt from your face, and have some extra grip on the bars, the most minimal shorties are the best.

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
I don't wear gloves on the roadbike...but if I did they would be full fingered.

Something about fingerless gloves doesn't sit well with me...