Quantcast

gluten-free baking

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
why no gluten?

what kind of flour do you use, gluten free flour?

more info please.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
My dad is, at this stage in life, horribly allergic to all dairy (even non-cow dairy) and all wheat based products.
This has led to...a rather dramatic shift in his diet (once we figured out why he spent an hour on the john at least once a day)...
For those of us who enjoy cooking for him and providing him with yummy foods it has led to good sized challenges to give him things he once loved but now his tummy rejects.
Last year on Turkey day Mom and I managed to create a Pumpkin Flan that was acceptable, and quite tasty...but it's not quite the same as pie. I'm the "baker" of the family...dunno why but I've always loved baking bread/pies/pastries and more for family. The first time I tried to make dad (shortly before we figured out the gluten problem) a lemon meringue pie that I thought fit his dietary needs I was so mortified to find just how sick I made him :(.

So...Mom and I have learned to bake brownies, make waffles, pancakes...I've found people who make professional chocolate cakes that contain no gluten, we've found specialty bakeries with dinner rolls, and not too long ago I produced a reasonable version of an oatmeal cookie.

I'm very very proud of my apple pies - sooo good, but part of what makes them fabulous is their pie crust. Tonight I bought the ingredients necessary to make my first 100% gluten free pie crust.

It will contain Sorghum flour, tapioca flour, guar gum, shortening, salt, and water. I'm just worried that I'll get the numbers off and will end up with a sticky paste and not the right elasticity in the dough. Or worse, get something that simulates the right behavior during the creating of the pie, but falls apart during baking. I really am starting to feel like a chemist constantly reading up on the proper elasticity of gluten and how to make other goodies besides wheat act the same.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I did find a recipe for rice flour as well for making my pie crust. I chose sorghum...mostly I think because I've had sorghum-based graham crackers and really liked those :).

rvlacich

Chimp
Jan 18, 2004
Maryland, USA
Ooh. Something I can help with. I have food allergies, including an allergy to wheat. For about a year, I went totally wheat free, until I built up a bit of a tolerance. Obviously, that won't happen for your dad, but there are a bunch of resources. I can't help much with your specific request, but here are some ideas.
First, the book "The Gluten-Free Gourmet" was a big help. Link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0805064842/002-4860006-4380840?. It discusses something called "GF Flour", which is an amalgamation of several non-wheat flours. When combined, you can substitute it for wheat flour in almost any recipe. Results vary, but you often get something tolerable, and occasionally, tasty.
There are also a few good places to buy GF foods. Here's a huge list (not made by me): http://www.gfmall.com/. I've used Ms. Robens, so I can vouch that they've got good stuff.

Fortunately for you dad, it sounds like his family is pretty good at this creative cooking. Best of luck to you all!

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
The pie turned out AWESOME!!! I had my doubts when I cooked some of the crust into sugar cookies and they had the overal texture of wet sand (ew); but the pie itself was great. My dad was so excited when I showed up just after breakfast bearing the goodie that he started picking flakes and pieces out of the pie throughout the day.

The rest of the non-sensitive tummies in the family also dug into the pie and pronounced it very tasty. :D

Now for the next project: Pecan Pie; and my dad has requested pumpkin pecan cheesecake for xmas. :eek: ;)