Quantcast

/// gmt Wednesday \\\

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
taking winters off
Skiing counts for something even if it doesn't give you biking legs…

exactly. generic, dry, booooooooring, government-speak powerpoint. would you like me to read the slide for you, or would you like to read it yourself?! (gonna have to avoid that!)
40 minutes from now I'm giving my own Powerpoint presentation. I put as little as possible on each slide and instead just talk about it. Reading slides and putting lots of shit on each slide is a recipe for disinterested audiences.

For the morbidly curious, here's what the Florida audience will be seeing +/- me having fixed the alignment of text/logo on the title slide: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1t3sQO9p7pSv77prqFeeotgFjptYUdT-9

you quitting mr. clean?
He took the ops manager (?) position iirc. Managing two fleets instead of driving the short buses. 25% raise forced his hand.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
@rockofullr any pro tips for stretching out new climbing shoes?
I just wear them at the climbing gym but instead of taking them off and rocking sandals between climbs I keep them on the whole time. This also gives me an idea of how much they're gonna hurt on a multi pitch climb where I'm stuck in them for a few hours. I assume you could just cruse around the house in them if you can't make it to they gym.

Just a heads up though the synthetic uppers on most newer shoes don't stretch out like the leather uppers on the shoes from years ago so you should buy them pretty close to the size you want them. They will form to your foot a bit but they won't go up a half size like the leather ones.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I just wear them at the climbing gym but instead of taking them off and rocking sandals between climbs I keep them on the whole time. This also gives me an idea of how much they're gonna hurt on a multi pitch climb where I'm stuck in them for a few hours. I assume you could just cruse around the house in them if you can't make it to they gym.

Just a heads up though the synthetic uppers on most newer shoes don't stretch out like the leather uppers on the shoes from years ago so you should buy them pretty close to the size you want them. They will form to your foot a bit but they won't go up a half size like the leather ones.
These ones are actually leather. The ones at the demo were stretched so I based the sizing on that. I've read freezing a bag of water in them can help speed up the stretching process.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
These ones are actually leather. The ones at the demo were stretched so I based the sizing on that. I've read freezing a bag of water in them can help speed up the stretching process.
I usually just keep them on around the gym as well. But always go with leather top and hope they stretch enough. I still have bouldering shoes that I can't wear outside of being on the wall.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I've heard all sorts of methods (including microwaving and then stretching with a dowel) but this one sounds a bit sketchy. If the water expands too much when freezing you might risk damaging the shoe.

The one I've seen used successfully is to wear them in a warm shower till they are warm and soggy then wear them till they dry. Getting leather wet is a time tested way to make it more malleable so this seems like a good one to me. You will probably get blue or pink or funny colored feet from the dies in the leather though. I'd recommend taking pictures and then posting online asking what sort of foot fungus you have.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I've heard all sorts of methods (including microwaving and then stretching with a dowel) but this one sounds a bit sketchy. If the water expands too much when freezing you might risk damaging the shoe.

The one I've seen used successfully is to wear them in a warm shower till they are warm and soggy then wear them till they dry. Getting leather wet is a time tested way to make it more malleable so this seems like a good one to me. You will probably get blue or pink or funny colored feet from the dies in the leather though. I'd recommend taking pictures and then posting online asking what sort of foot fungus you have.
I still get red feet from my shoes that are not anywhere near new at this point.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Dude. these allergies have me miserable.
Gonna try for Cottonwood Peak. 11 miles, 5,500' vert....& I had to stop & blow green snot out of my head twice walking up the stairs at work between hacking up lung butter. x.X
You're a hippy. How do you not know? Teaspoon of local raw honey in the morning with water (just fucking water motherfucker and yes it has to be local and raw) then don't eat anything for at least 30 minutes. Works like a charm for my grass allergies considering that I'm surrounded by rolling hills of grass for miles in every direction.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Yea that would be my concern with the freezing method as well (and how do you determine what's the right amount of water?)

I read about the hot water method too, so might give that a try. Fwiw La Sportiva Otaki. Size 42, street shoes are usually a 44. The stretched 42s I tried at the demo felt great. The 43s would slip a little at the mid section (not a big issue) but a tiny bit at the heel cup.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You're a hippy. How do you not know? Teaspoon of local raw honey in the morning with water (just fucking water motherfucker and yes it has to be local and raw) then don't eat anything for at least 30 minutes. Works like a charm for my grass allergies considering that I'm surrounded by rolling hills of grass for miles in every direction.
Raw water?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
trust me I do that & I get my honey from a friend who lives just over the ridge. Also drink apple cider vinegar tonics.
the trees are trying to kill me

why no eat for 30 mins? Im not planning on swimming

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Fwiw La Sportiva Otaki. Size 42, street shoes are usually a 44. The stretched 42s I tried at the demo felt great. The 43s would slip a little at the mid section (not a big issue) but a tiny bit at the heel cup.
Sounds like you got a good fit. I hate trying to find climbing shoes (they are all apparently designed around narrow fancy feet and not big caveman paddles like I have) so I just keep buying the same shoe year after year.

the trees are trying to kill me

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Question for the brake troubleshooting gurus on here. I came across an issue I haven't seen before.

The brakes on my girlfriend's bike are suddenly acting like they are overfilled even though they have never been bled (I don't bleed lines unless they need it). The pads started rubbing and I figured the pistons needed to be pushed back in. She had the wheel off to transport the bike and maybe the lever got pulled while the rotor was out, right? Wrong. Can't push the pistons in at all, when I push one in another starts moving back out. Also the lever doesn't feel squishy at all so I don't think air got sucked into the line.

Will attempt to bleed some fluid out to see if that works but the whole situation doesn't really make sense to me.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Question for the brake troubleshooting gurus on here. I came across an issue I haven't seen before.

The brakes on my girlfriend's bike are suddenly acting like they are overfilled even though they have never been bled (I don't bleed lines unless they need it). The pads started rubbing and I figured the pistons needed to be pushed back in. She had the wheel off to transport the bike and maybe the lever got pulled while the rotor was out, right? Wrong. Can't push the pistons in at all, when I push one in another starts moving back out. Also the lever doesn't feel squishy at all so I don't think air got sucked into the line.

Will attempt to bleed some fluid out to see if that works but the whole situation doesn't really make sense to me.
SRAM?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
how long have you been in colorado......i was done with allergies by my second year.
this will be my third summer. fingers crossed my body adapts after this spring. Crazy thing is they are much better here than back in Nevada.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sounds like you got a good fit. I hate trying to find climbing shoes (they are all apparently designed around narrow fancy feet and not big caveman paddles like I have) so I just keep buying the same shoe year after year.
I hear ya. Most toe boxes on climbing shoes are too narrow for me. I waited until our gym had a shoe demo (multiple brand reps come in, lots of models all sizes). I tried on probably 8 or 9 different models and varying sizes of each before I found one that felt good. Now I've just gotta get em stretched to feel not like new climbing shoes.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Originally when I built my fence I has planned on making a double gate on it, so if I needed to I could drive my truck into the back. I decided to pass and just make a walk through........ After moving two yards of dirt/topsoil/planting treatment.... I realized I fucked up....