Quantcast

## GMThursday ##

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
FedEx is having too much fun with packages these days. Had a package go from Chicago to San Francisco, to Florida, to Eugene, back to Florida for some reason, then to me. It's more traveled than I am these days.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Got ML onboard to sell the extra car. Quote on Carvana dropped by $6k when I put the VIN into the system. Apparently it has an incorrectly listed accident (not hers) on the VIN from a PD in CA somewhere. We now get to track it down and ask them to fix their case, from 2014... Fun.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Got ML onboard to sell the extra car. Quote on Carvana dropped by $6k when I put the VIN into the system. Apparently it has an incorrectly listed accident (not hers) on the VIN from a PD in CA somewhere. We now get to track it down and ask them to fix their case, from 2014... Fun.
hey, that's progress at least. and the issue at least sounds fixable, if a headache.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
hey, that's progress at least. and the issue at least sounds fixable, if a headache.
Wifey and I are going back to Bay Area next weekend for her 20yr college reunion. We'll have some time the first day we're there, so we're driving down to Aptos to get pictures of the condo, see the status, and maybe meet with a contractor. Wifey hasn't seen it in over 7 years, so I think she might be in for a shock...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Wifey and I are going back to Bay Area next weekend for her 20yr college reunion. We'll have some time the first day we're there, so we're driving down to Aptos to get pictures of the condo, see the status, and maybe meet with a contractor. Wifey hasn't seen it in over 7 years, so I think she might be in for a shock...
record it, i wanna see her reaction :D

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Just got an email from Hannah's school. They are so short on teachers that they are asking parents for referrals with a 1-week free bonus if they stay 90-days per teacher they refer. The economist in me just wants to say "pay them more" if that means costs go up, then those who can't afford it will stop sending their kids, so you won't have the need for as many teachers. Economic balance.

If the (R) parents (large portion) who were bitching about the last price increase want private school for their 0-5 y/o kids, then they need to accept the open market and pay for it. Otherwise they can figure out other options. Free market baby.

Oh, and about half the day-care options in our area closed in the last 2 months. Most of the church daycares closed because of staffing primarily, but mask mandates as a secondary (church folk apparently don't like to wear masks). Demand is high. These teachers can get paid whatever the hell they want.
I just pulled up their careers page. $12-14/hr. Fuck that shit. They need to increase their costs by 10% (sucks for us) and pay more, to keep their staff and be able to hire more.
My wife informed her school yesterday that she will not be back in a teaching role next year, and I fully support her in this. The crap pay, the shitty parents, the administration applied work load, the lack of support, the huge class sizes, etc. etc. have pushed her to her limits. I told her just to walk out after the latest "incident" but she feels too much responsibility for the kids to do that. It sucks, because she really does love teaching and the kids, but there is just way too much bullshittery and slave level wages and a person can only take so much. We're lucky to be in a position where this is an option for us. I don't know how the single gals with no other income can afford to do it. It ought to be a national shame the way we treat and pay these people.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My wife informed her school yesterday that she will not be back in a teaching role next year, and I fully support her in this. The crap pay, the shitty parents, the administration applied work load, the lack of support, the huge class sizes, etc. etc. have pushed her to her limits. I told her just to walk out after the latest "incident" but she feels too much responsibility for the kids to do that. It sucks, because she really does love teaching and the kids, but there is just way too much bullshittery and slave level wages and a person can only take so much. We're lucky to be in a position where this is an option for us. I don't know how the single gals with no other income can afford to do it. It ought to be a national shame the way we treat and pay these people.
You know I've worked with teachers for a while now. I know a lot that left and are doing totally different industry jobs for 30%+ more pay and way less stress. Average age for new hires in my district has actually gone UP! It's all former teachers coming back for more pay or empty nesters looking for second incomes.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Come move up to Canaderp! My buddy teaches kindergarten and is paid +100k a year, has a pension and good benefits.

It can still be a shitty (in my friend's case, literally a shitty job, lol) and demanding job, but at least the pay backs most of it up.

Its a unionized public job up here, which I'm sure helps...

No companies would drug test ya, as a side benefit. :cheers:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Locally I vote for every mil levy, I think one has passed in the 10 years I have been here. The going rate for on call child care is $25.00 an hour, substitute teachers make $100.00 a day... a certified, in home child care provider makes more than an untenured teacher.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Locally I vote for every mil levy, I think one has passed in the 10 years I have been here. The going rate for on call child care is $25.00 an hour, substitute teachers make $100.00 a day... a certified, in home child care provider makes more than an untenured teacher.
Yep. You can make more as a tutor, by a lot, than you can as a teacher.

We had a few teachers spin off and start their own business as a rough co-op doing in-home teaching for remote education. They set themselves up to have a 401k, healthcare, etc. Then they ended up working with a small group of parents with kids K+ who wanted their kids at home due to COVID. Kids got split up by grade and were dropped at specific houses, where they had a teacher do lessons. I think it was K-3, 4-6, 7-8 (with 9+ independent under her). Ended up being about 30 kids from 10 or 11 families, iirc. Last I talked to them, they were each making about $70k - $20k more than through the district, even with self-employment costs. They were also talking about bringing on 2-3 more teachers and possibly leasing a facility, since they have demand for another 20+ kids.

They obviously have a high income clientele, but know that they don't have to deal with the bat shit crazy anti-vax people, and people will pay to have the confirmation that their kids aren't exposed to that shit either.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have several friends who teach at private schools for the reasons you describe above, with the exception of the parents. They all say dealing with the parent is a hell of a lot worse.

This should come as no surprise and you can make a strong correlation to a lot of other societal statistics, I would suggest a certain cause and effect.

I am a bit surprised that Alabama isn't a lot lower.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I have several friends who teach at private schools for the reasons you describe above, with the exception of the parents. They all say dealing with the parent is a hell of a lot worse.

This should come as no surprise and you can make a strong correlation to a lot of other societal statistics, I would suggest a certain cause and effect.

I am a bit surprised that Alabama isn't a lot lower.

Poor education of the masses is a republican tactic for sure. Democracy cannot thrive with an ignorant populace. Social problems are magnified. GOP love it.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
record it, i wanna see her reaction :D
Omfg. I told her what's going on re: the reno and she decided now, after 2+ years, was a good time to point out that the condo has pending repairs - roof, exterior, possible termite damage - and the other condo tenants (6 in the building) are unlikely to agree to pay for things to be fixed. I can't fucking win.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
We are not allowed to keep our green card while we live in Denmark. I could easily see us moving back but they us want to make it difficult.
Look at the bright side - you no longer have to file US tax returns or FBARs.
(unlike your kids ;) )