Quantcast

Go Pro or Contour or Other for DH

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Hello,

I know, search. I did and just want some more ideas.
I have been told I can get a helmet cam for my b-day. Just a recreational DH rider/occasional racer, been to 7Springs, Diablo, Plattekill and Bromont this year - with Whiteface coming up...
So just looking for a way to catch these good times. Read about 60fps of higher end cams, but lower end only 30fps.
Looking for input from riders who have both, or have experience via friends or stuff with both. If I said buy one - which one would you get.
I know GoPro has advantage with mount options, non fixed battery, weaterproof. Contour mounts more flush, some say easier to operate, but different light levels in and out of bush make video quality less than GoPro??
So give me a hand - I can get one, so which should I get?
And Drift? Not as much info - should I consider that one or stick it between GoPro and Contour?
Thanks in advance...

Infini IV

Chimp
Jan 1, 2011
I have a GoProHD, one friend has the Drift HD170, and another just picked up the ContourHD. Not too much time on his Contour yet, but here's what we've noticed so far..

Image:
- The GoPro HD captures the greatest range of color and color looks very natural. The Drift HD170, has a very "flat" but natural color. The ContourHD has a darker (dull, but rich?) color to it's image, and very bright colors don't stand out.
- 720p/30fps: ContourHD has the best quality image at this setting. The GoProHD just barely edges out the Drift HD170 at this setting too.
- 720p/60fps: The GoProHD has a very sharp image, and combined with it's wider range of color makes it look great at this setting. The ContourHD still looks good at this setting, but the colors don't do justice for it's image. Drift
HD170 does not have a 60fps setting.
- 1080p/30fps: GoProHD>ContourHD>Drift HD170
- Going into/out of shade/light: ContourHD wins this hands down. There is almost no delay when transitioning from dark to light or light to dark areas. The Drift HD170 isn't so bad itself either in this regard, but a little better transitioning from light to dark than from dark to light. The GoProHD transitioning delay is terrible either way :(

Sound:
- The GoProHD captures the widest range of sounds too, although sound quality isn't so great (our voices don't sound as familiar on the GoPro as the others). The Drift HD170 captures the best quality and most realistic sound. The ContourHD has a more realistic sound than the GoProHD, but sound quality isn't as good as both the GoProHD and the Drift HD170.
- Wind noise: GoProHD deals best with wind noise since it's in the case. I use my GoProHD often when racing karts as well since it does so great with capturing different sounds other than just wind at speed. The Drift HD170 sounds great at slow to medium speeds. At higher speeds you hear a whistle. The ContourHD is terrible without the waterproof case. With the waterproof case, there is almost no wind noise, but at the same time, almost NO noise at all...

Battery life is best on the GoPro, and about the same between the Contour and Drift. This was easy for us to compare as we were all riding the same trails and recording at the same time at Whistler. It's hard to say how long of a duration they last though. The Drift HD170 has a built-in LCD view which can be nice. The GoProHD also has the option for one. The ContourHD does not as far as I know.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I've used both GoPro and Contour extensively, and I have to say I prefer GoPro in almost every way. It's waterproof, has more mounting options, it's cheaper, captures better footage, light and sound adjustments are all automatic, the parts on the housing are all replaceable, plus it has the cool new battery and LCD backpack accessories.

The Contour looks a lot nicer when mounted on a helmet, but that's about the only advantage I've found.

GoPro's customer service department is top notch too - spoke with them a few months ago and they were super helpful.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Going into/out of shade/light: ContourHD wins this hands down. There is almost no delay when transitioning from dark to light or light to dark areas. The Drift HD170 isn't so bad itself either in this regard, but a little better transitioning from light to dark than from dark to light. The GoProHD transitioning delay is terrible either way :(
Errr - you sure you haven't confused your GoPro with the contour here?

The Contour is horrendous at light transition, ehereas the GoPro is better by miles!

(I owned the 720P contour HD and currently own the GoPro1080... but resolution should not have any affect on the light transitions)

MTBAlex

Chimp
Jun 18, 2008
Campbell, CA
i'm thinking of purchasing a camera too. I know you can buy on Costco online the Contour GPS. With Costco's return policy, you can return it if you dont like it.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
My GoProHD has much better colours/contrast/sharpness than my ex-housemates Contour1080.

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
As I said in the thread 2 days ago about the same thing with all the same opinions in it , if you want a high grade camera pony up and get the contour +

dhbrigade

Chimp
Feb 21, 2006
Any comments on the new Contour ROAM so far? Techwise I always favored the GoPro, but never really jumped on that train because my friends were always looking like dorks with the helmet mount.

Contour is more stealthy in my opinion. But that I want to use it for DH and surfing as well lack of watertightness was an absolute nogo.

So new ROAM looks like THE cam I'm waiting for. Anybody got some informations or samples on video quality???

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
Any comments on the new Contour ROAM so far? Techwise I always favored the GoPro, but never really jumped on that train because my friends were always looking like dorks with the helmet mount.

Contour is more stealthy in my opinion. But that I want to use it for DH and surfing as well lack of watertightness was an absolute nogo.

So new ROAM looks like THE cam I'm waiting for. Anybody got some informations or samples on video quality???
this might help - just love the video :)