Quantcast

Go pro vs contour vs??

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
looking for a headBand mount HD camera to take with me on All my adventures. My main use For this camera will be to film solo fishing expeditions and fishing trips with friends. It will also be used for biking video, Rock climbing, hunting, etc.

Has to be HD and also record voice. WaterprooF would be ideal so I could get underwater shots.

Sorry for the messed up capitaliZation, getting used to the iPad.

camarush

Chimp
Sep 14, 2010
San Jose, Ca
Both are great cameras. I might lean towards recommending the GoPro HD for two reasons:

1. It comes with a waterproof case
2. The chesty mount (additional accessory) is unique to the GoPro camera and quite a cool angle for biking (and might be cool for fishing??)

However, if crystal clear underwater shots are a priority, the Contour (with additional underwater housing) is ideal (until GoPro resolves the underwater blur).

Neither of the mic's are fantastic on either unit, but the Contour does have the ability to adjust the mic sensitivity (through software - not on the go).

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I have the Contour and concur with.

2. The chesty mount (additional accessory) is unique to the GoPro camera and quite a cool angle for biking (and might be cool for fishing??)
I have however found a cool view by mounting the Contour to the bike, which given the shape of the GoPro might be more challenging.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
id say gopro. its very versatile, the chest mount is awesome.
got 3 friends with contours who are replacing them for gopros.

plus, i have taken a couple of faceplants (gopro chesty on top of body armor) and the thing wasnt even scratched.

here is a video of me from 3 weeks ago at a local dh track in Lima i go almost every weekend...

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Actually this is a very good thread. I was considering buying one before I head to Whistler. Someone should put up a poll as to which one people think is better, price for each, price for attachments needed, and a list of pro's and cons would be very helpful in people deciding which is best to chose.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Do you have to buy different lenses for wide angle and such for either? Would be nice if you could change the angle of the lense to get some cool effects. First one I'd get is a fish eye. Put it on top of your head facing the sky and get 360 footage.
That would be kewl, eh heh heh. (Sorry, that was my Beavis impersonation.)

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
GoPro? Dayum! GEESH! The camera is only half the cost! All the extra stuff you'll want to use it with will cost you just as much. It's kinda like color printers. "Here, have our printer FREE! Oh by the way, our ink cartridges are $80 each. You'll need four of them, cyan yellow magenta and black!"

Last edited:

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
Some gopro footage I took yesterday from behind my house.

My mountain bike trail me and my brother built. It's not the entire trail because the bottom part after the steep ass section I don't go down (thanks to a tree) is boring.

From a quad trail leading to a gas road.

For some reason the clip doesn't fit snuggly on the base so that causes all the racket. A piece of a paper towel tucked under it cures it.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
Yeah, mine's white too. It wasn't in there for the videos but I put it i today and it still wiggled some. Not a big deal really - can always be covered up with some Drowning Pool.

camarush

Chimp
Sep 14, 2010
San Jose, Ca
Do you have to buy different lenses for wide angle and such for either? Would be nice if you could change the angle of the lense to get some cool effects. First one I'd get is a fish eye. Put it on top of your head facing the sky and get 360 footage.
That would be kewl, eh heh heh. (Sorry, that was my Beavis impersonation.)
There is only one lens (currently and no talk about others except for some DIY filters). You do have a little control though. Different settings allow you to change the "angle". For example, settings r1 and r2 take advantage of the widest angle of 170 degrees (pretty close to fish eye). Setting r5 is a 25% narrower field of view (127 degrees) compared to the 170 degrees view of other resolutions. However, each of those settings is for different resolutions so probably not ideal for swapping angles for a single project.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
There is only one lens (currently and no talk about others except for some DIY filters). You do have a little control though. Different settings allow you to change the "angle". For example, settings r1 and r2 take advantage of the widest angle of 170 degrees (pretty close to fish eye). Setting r5 is a 25% narrower field of view (127 degrees) compared to the 170 degrees view of other resolutions. However, each of those settings is for different resolutions so probably not ideal for swapping angles for a single project.
Which camera are you talking about with all these extra settings?

Also, I found a huge article on MTBR.com about this same subject, here.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=528187

But by the time you get done listening to everyone describe what settings they shot, which format, compressed or not, 1080p or what have you, it's confusing as to what you are actually looking at on the vids which stop and start also that makes it a pain to figure out.

I DO however like the chest mount on the go pro. The POV is really cool watching the persons arms on the handlebars guide the bike giving the viewer the look and feel of what it's like riding on the bike on the terrain you see. That's pretty cool. Contour doesn't have that. They need to catch up on that.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
For some reason the clip doesn't fit snuggly on the base so that causes all the racket. A piece of a paper towel tucked under it cures it.
if you cut two small strips of black electrical tape and put them on the base, on the clip, it makes the fit much tighter. it works better then the white doohicky.