Quantcast

Goggle Choice

mtnbiker49

Monkey
Jul 12, 2009
Milford, PA
I realize that there are probably other threads talking about goggles, but I need some help. I know that fit is very important, but I will set it aside for now. I am going to stick with clear lenses and need help on choosing a pair. I can get Scott locally, but I will take any opinions such as Oakley, Spy, and Smith. Tell me your opinions and what your using. Thanks

Last edited:

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
I have a few pairs of Smith Fuel's. They are inexpensive but work amazing, the lenses are industbul, and they don't fog up.
I also just got some Scott 89Xi i belive with role offs and the whole deal, I have not tried them for long but they appear good.
I have also had some Utiopias in the past. They are sh!t. The lenses are crap and the foam is really hot.
One of the last sets i got was the Smith Intakes, They look pretty good and feel good to but i can't protest for the longevity.

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX
I race motocross and have owned a bunch of goggles, oakley, smith, scott and dragon. Bang for the buck I haven't seen anything that beats the Dragon MDX. Solid construction, great fit, great foam for the price. IN TX where it;s 100+ deg in the summer not having sweat in your eyes are important. You have to spend more money on the other brands for the same performance. If you can't get the dragons, the new Scott XI's are sweet. Probably a better goggle than the MDX, but also cost more.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have smith Intake X and they've been infallible except for a lot of foggy in the 90% humidity days. Not much you can do for that, but I got some anti-fog goop and it seems to have cured excessive fogging, although water stills collects a little. Unfortunately, I had them mounted funny on my helmet and they got pretty scratched up, so I may need new lenses soon. Otherwise they've been great, although they fit a little funny on my remedy. Got them from chainlove, 30 bucks or so, very content.

Why do you( all of you) feel you need to wear goggles? I wear Oakley Sunglasses and have zero issue with vision or clarity and the sunglasses give me the ability to change lens' to fit the conditions of the day.

I have goggles I use in the winter for high country mountaineering and the like but I almost always go back to glasses.

I have used for a few years on Ice climbs and winter mountaineering trips: the combo...........glasses shape with goggle foam....... PANOPTX. I'm gonna give 'em a whirl this week at the creek.

Not trying to start anything........just looking for a different perspective.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Why do you( all of you) feel you need to wear goggles? I wear Oakley Sunglasses and have zero issue with vision or clarity and the sunglasses give me the ability to change lens' to fit the conditions of the day.

I have goggles I use in the winter for high country mountaineering and the like but I almost always go back to glasses.

I have used for a few years on Ice climbs and winter mountaineering trips: the combo...........glasses shape with goggle foam....... PANOPTX. I'm gonna give 'em a whirl this week at the creek.

I can get by with sunglasses for xc, but for DH I am generally moving a lot quicker, and for some reason my eyes water a lot without goggles. Also, keep debris/mud/etc out of my eyes. Sunglasses just don't cut it in this department.

In terms of goggle choice, I've been using a pair of Utopia's (forget which model) and a pair of Spy's (again, not sure which model) for the past 2 years. The Spy's are a little more comfy, and are also taller, but the Utopia's are wider and allow for better peripheral vision. FWIW I use the Utopia's more often, the Spy's have become my backup.

I've heard VERY good things about the Dylan Dean goggles, and have been wanting to give them a try.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I switched to goggles this year and am pretty content. They block a lot more air and keep more out of your eyes, so it's a little bit easier to go faster, or at least feel like you go faster. I rode with glasses for the longest time; I have a weak prescription but the clarity definitely helps. I broke down this year and got some goggles, sans prescription, since I got sick of trying to find glasses compatible MX goggles.

Anyways, they block dust and debris, they block the wind, they generally offer excellent visability, and are all over more durable, compared to a pair of sunglasses. When it gets real humid or dark, I switch back to fogproof safety glasses since the ventilation is infinitely better and they just don't fog (plus they're clear).

What about mountaineering glasses.....like JULBO? wider and taller than sunglasses....polarized. No foam. Anti fog lenses.

I understand the eyes watering. But as far mud and such in the eye.......I don't ever have an issue. Maybe I get lucky? maybe I'm too slow...........idk. weird

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
There's nothing wrong with wearing sunglasses...if that's what works for you, do it! I came from sunglasses after making fun of goggle-wearers for years, then I picked up my set cheap because they were cheap. They just seem to work better for me. That's not to say glasses don't have their merit, but goggles offer better protection and convenience with no downfalls, really. I do agree that polarized lenses are the best thing ever, though.

As far as whether you need them, you may just not be going fast enough. I never really needed mine until I started getting quick...if you're just cruising in the woods, they aren't totally necessary.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007

A couple things, sunglasses don't keep dust out very well, so freight training with your buddies on a dry day sucks when you're blind.

Mostly from snow skiing experience sunglasses break and can end pushing an earpiece into your face. It's happened to me personally, I came out with a nice cut on my cheek. I have ski patrol friends that have seen it alot.

I ride with sunglasses and have hit my head hard enough to shift my helmet and teak my glasses into my face. I think there is a chance on a hard crash you could poke an eye out.

I really like my blue lenses in my Oakley Crowbars. But end up wearing glasses because I can't live w/o them on the lift, where I take my helmet off cuz it's damn hot here.

Last edited:

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Why are you specific on clear lenses?
I have a few different lenses that I change up depending on conditions and such. Blue lenses are amazing for neutralizing. For example, I find if your on an open super bright section and bomb into the dark woods, theres an intitial blind moment when your eyes are adjusting with clear lenses. With Blue tint it eliminates things like that and in some cases makes the dark woods a bit brighter.

As far as whether you need them, you may just not be going fast enough. I never really needed mine until I started getting quick...if you're just cruising in the woods, they aren't totally necessary.
HAHA!!! Soooo right! I'm a SLOOOOOW F*cker on the DH rig! I love to just let her roll and enjoy myself! I carry just enough speed to keep it safe and MAYBE a little more!
A couple things, sunglasses don't keep dust out very well, so freight training with your buddies on a dry day sucks when you're blind.

Mostly from snow skiing experience sunglasses break and can end pushing an earpiece into your face. It's happened to me personally, I came out with a nice cut on my cheek. I have ski patrol friends that have seen it alot.

I ride with sunglasses and have hit my head hard enough to shift my helmet and teak my glasses into my face. I think there is a chance on a hard crash you could poke an eye out.

I really like my blue lenses in my Oakley Crowbars. But end up wearing glasses because I can't live w/o them on the lift, where I take my helmet off cuz it's damn hot here.

I agree with this. I've spent loads of time in the mountains and I've seen these injuries all too often as well. WIth regard to riding with a FF I don't think MY helmet would shift enough to force my glasses into me.....but you're right.....you never know.

And I almost always ride with just one other person and on the EC so it's not super dusty here and I don't feel comfortable enough on my rig to ride that closely to someone else on the gnar trails.

But......like I posted earlier.......I'm gonna give my hybrids( panoptx) a whirl this w/e and see how they feel.

Thx for the input!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
HAHA!!! Soooo right! I'm a SLOOOOOW F*cker on the DH rig! I love to just let her roll and enjoy myself! I carry just enough speed to keep it safe and MAYBE a little more!
Dude, I hope that's sarcasm. I'm not trying put you down, I'm just saying I never needed mine until I was flying...and I still don't for the most part.

Dude, I hope that's sarcasm. I'm not trying put you down, I'm just saying I never needed mine until I was flying...and I still don't for the most part.
I don't ever take anything on the internet personally( well almost never).

I know you weren't putting me down! No sweat!! I just happen to agree with you.....I am one slow ass mofo!! haaha! It is what it is.....I'm still a DH newb and just love to ride and actually see what I'm riding!!

Thx for the clarification!

edited to add: this is the problem with the internet......no INTONATION!!! :):)

Last edited:

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
I don't really think there is much for "bad googles" around anymore. Its basically what ones fit good in your helmet, then on an individuals face, and don't fog in the process. Support what company you like, or ask to borrow someones for a run or two.

I guess I have a skinny head/face, Oakley, Smith, Spy, RockGardn, Goat have all worked out great for me in all my helmets for both MX and DH.

godfather

Chimp
Jul 2, 2009
I agree that eye protection is up to the user. You are more likely to wear whatever is most comfortable and works well for you. In most cases, goggles offer more protection, from impacts, debris, dust, etc.. They cover a larger portion of your face and are less likely to move around or even come off in a crash. They also tend to work more universally with a given helmet. Sunglasses, a lot of them anyway, can sit on your face weird with a full face because they get pinched or pushed around by the padding. I wore glasses once with my new FF and went to goggles, much better fit and feel, and more coverage. They are warmer and do fog on hot humid days when you stop and there's no air flow, but glasses fog too under the same conditions. The larger the volume and lens area, the les likely they will fog.

As for goggle choice, I am a huge proponent of Smith. They have great style, but more importantly, they have excellent fits for a variety of face shapes, they integrate very well with most helmets, and the performance/quality of construction/tech are second to none. There are a couple of other companies out there who can do what Smith can, but nobody that can do more. I ride the Intake Sweat-X, and have been very happy with them. I also ride exclusively in their snow goggles for skiing/snowboarding, and their glasses. Great product, great company, and excellent customer service. They also happen to be a NW company from day one, Ketchum, ID.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Smith Intakes... more durable than Oakley's.
Care to elaborate or is this just more e-speculation that this site is famous for? I am having a hard time understanding what could possibly make one more durable than the other. They are made from nearly identical materials, and can't possibly be that different ( I have run Scott, Smith, Spy, Oakley, Electric, and Utopia btw just to name a few)

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I had fox main goggles... don't buy them. I had cheapy scott goggles, don't buy them...

I now have oakley crowbar mx goggles. LOVE them. The only time I have ever had a problem was when it was about 50-55 degrees out and it was drizzling rain a little. Then I was fogging due to the humidity etc... I was also waiting for my gate in dual slalom though too.

livewakesnow

Monkey
Nov 19, 2008
woodinville
i also have the oakely crowbars and love them. i havent had to ride with them in cold weather yet, but in hot they rock. they have a good solid fit and have pretty good visibility

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
i rock the blur b1 goggles. they were cheap at 30 bucks, and they've held up nicely for about 3 dh seasons. my only complaint is that they fog up when you're sweating and stationary. once you get moving it's all good though.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Oakley Crowbars. Work for me both for snowboard and DH. Light, comfy and durable (got a direct rock hit in the face area recently ;) )

godfather

Chimp
Jul 2, 2009
If fogging is a problem, POC uses dual lens and still offer good ventilation
Almost all of the Smith goggles have a single or dual lens option. Most of their mid to upper level goggles also use a polycarbonate lens, at least on the outer lens. This results in clearer optics and more scratch resistence. It's basically the same material that they, and many other high end manufacturers use for their sunglasses. The range of lens colors and options is pretty sweet too, from tear-offs to roll-offs, clear lenses to several mirror colors and everything in between including light sensitive, color change lenses. FWIW.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
My single pane crowbars suck for snowboarding. they are designed to flow a ton of air. good thing I have a pair of wisdoms and a pair of spys.

Think I want to buy a pair of Deans to support the local guy.

godfather

Chimp
Jul 2, 2009
My single pane crowbars suck for snowboarding. they are designed to flow a ton of air. good thing I have a pair of wisdoms and a pair of spys.

Think I want to buy a pair of Deans to support the local guy.
Pretty much all single lens set-ups suck for snowsports, but a good frame that you can swap out lenses and works with single or duals is a pretty good investment for those looking for extra versatility. I run different goggles for snow and bike, but I could easily run most of them for both simply by swapping lenses.